Working out but gaining weight?

Options
So I started going running a lot during the first week of my weight loss program and lost about 2 lbs. Then for the last two weeks I've been doing a lot of kickboxing and weight training with only 1-2 rest days/week and now I'm back up to my original weight but I've been diligent about tracking calories. Can anyone help explain? I was really excited about losing the weight but I'm wondering as to why I'm gaining it back.

Replies

• klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? You may be overestimating your burn. Do you weigh your food?
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You should also track your measurements since you are also weight training. There are times when my measurement numbers give me encouragement when the scale isn't moving.
  • gretch23
    gretch23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way!! It's kinda frustrating...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It's only been three weeks. Give it time. Weight loss is not linear.

I also echo those who said to weigh you food. The only calorie burns you should count are for straight cardio because it's too difficult to track things like weight lifting and kickboxing. Also MFP, gym machines, and internet sources generally grossly overestimate calorie burns.

If you find no success in a few more weeks, I'd say you are unintentionally eating too much.
  • Katiebug0925
    Katiebug0925 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been using the calorie tracker app and I don't weight my food because I'm mostly eating from the "cafeteria" because I live in dorms and on campus so I'm pretty restricted with food options, but try to stock our mini fridge with fruits and veggies. I also don't ever track calories burned from weight lifting but I do track them from boxing. Maybe I'll try tracking them lower than the estimate and see if that helps at all.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've been using the calorie tracker app and I don't weight my food because I'm mostly eating from the "cafeteria" because I live in dorms and on campus so I'm pretty restricted with food options, but try to stock our mini fridge with fruits and veggies. I also don't ever track calories burned from weight lifting but I do track them from boxing. Maybe I'll try tracking them lower than the estimate and see if that helps at all.

Three weeks is not that long, either.

If you don't track calories then you really don't know how much you're eating.

Fruits and veggies have plenty of calories too, especially fruit. Bananas can have anywhere from 90 to 150 calories each, depending on how many grams they are. Same with applies, pears, etc., but berries tend to have a bit less calories.

I encourage you to weigh whatever food you can, even if it's just from your fridge, and to try cutting back a bit on food in general.

I think it would help you to figure out how much you are eating, though.
  • Katiebug0925
    Options
    I do track my calorie intake, and calories burned from running, kickboxing, other cardio etc. just not calories burned from weight lifting

- thanks for the tips!
    -
  • ekl_2
    ekl_2 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello.same problem here. I started 6 days ago. Tracking my food intake religiously and doing 1h of exercise /gym everyday. But very bad surprise this morning : +0.6 kg on the scale. I wonder how I can gain weight when I have been consistently below my calorie target and exercising ?
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    this is something i can't answer, but if i do a lot of cardio i seem to gain weight?
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ALH1981 wrote: »
    this is something i can't answer, but if i do a lot of cardio i seem to gain weight?
    ekl_2 wrote: »
    Hello.same problem here. I started 6 days ago. Tracking my food intake religiously and doing 1h of exercise /gym everyday. But very bad surprise this morning : +0.6 kg on the scale. I wonder how I can gain weight when I have been consistently below my calorie target and exercising ?
    I do track my calorie intake, and calories burned from running, kickboxing, other cardio etc. just not calories burned from weight lifting

- thanks for the tips!
    -

You should take body measurements, you can lose fat but gain weight so you either lose or stay the same on the scales, your weight can vary by 10lbs just purely based on water retention which can be affected by what type of food you have eaten, menstrual cycles, stress levels, sodium intake. the scale weight is not important one its body fat that's generally the issue, for exacmple drink 2 litres of water after a workout? instant 4lbs added on the scales(i no way saying avoid drinking water! haha just showing how easy it is to be disheartened by a change in the scale numbers)

P.s I definitely agree calorie counters are very inaccurate and generally overestimate the calories burned.

Terry
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have found that you hold onto water weight when you start a new intense workout program. Be patient, it will come off.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So I started going running a lot during the first week of my weight loss program and lost about 2 lbs. Then for the last two weeks I've been doing a lot of kickboxing and weight training with only 1-2 rest days/week and now I'm back up to my original weight but I've been diligent about tracking calories. Can anyone help explain? I was really excited about losing the weight but I'm wondering as to why I'm gaining it back.

Short and simple
    -It's only been 3 weeks
    -Water weight plus exercised muscle holds on to water for repair
    -Menstrual cycle - retain water
    -Weigh food
    -You can lose 2 lbs buy sweating, going to the toilet - gain it buy eating a stodgy meal or eating closer to the weigh in, not 'been' the toilet yet etc.

Just keep at it. It will come off.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Make sure your logging is accurate but it is normal and expected to retain water after starting weight training. Your body needs it. If you are training it will always be a factor and it can mask losses at times but it won't stop fat loss if you truly are in a deficit.

YEP
  • Katiebug0925
    Options
    alright!! Thanks so much for all the replies! I took my measurements today and will keep doing so! :)