Which First... Cardio/ Weights?

Options
Hi! I am curious about weights and cardio. I sometimes do them on the same day, especially if I am taking a rest day the following day. Which is best to do first... the cardio or the weights? Does it really matter?
Also, in the sense of LOSING weight. I always see people focusing on cardio, cardio, cardio, and then weights when they reach their goal. Thoughts on this?

Replies

• hdickson21821982
    Options
    I don't know if it's right, but I am just starting out and doing both. However, I am trying to focus on getting the weight off as my main priority by a combo of calorie deficit and cardio, strength training I'm doing lightly on the side because I like it :)
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have been told that it really doesn't matter which you do first. I personally get the weights over and done with first because I really hate strength training. I also find that on days that I split the two, if I lift first then I get a better calorie burn during my cardio.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do second will be "hurt" because you will have already expended energy on what you did first. It's up to your preference and goals which you want to do first.

My goals are to get stronger and then just do cardio to burn calories, so for me, it makes more sense to lift first. If your goal is to run a race, you likely would run first and lift as an accessory.

As for losing, lifting while losing will help you retain your muscle mass as you lose, which will likely give you a better body shape when you reach your goal than if you only did cardio. I'm glad that I started lifting weights while I was still obese. I think it has the added benefit of making me feel strong. I love that, so I really enjoy going into the gym.
  • cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    personal preference, really. It's all important..strength training, flexibility, cardiovascular conditioning, and optimal healthy dietary choices..a healthier new you! Good luck =)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A basic general fitness regimen is going to include about equal amounts of cardio and resistance training. More specific fitness goals would change that. If I do cardio on lifting days I do it in the AM and lift in the PM and also do cardio on non lifting days. I like being able to give each 100% of my energies and you can't do that if you're doing a mixed session...something has to give....but then again, I'm training towards very specific fitness goals...as a matter of general fitness it isn't going to matter really and would simply be preference.

People do cardio, cardio, cardio because they don't know any better. Weight loss isn't about what exercise you do...weight loss is about energy balance and consuming less energy (calories) than your body requires. You can lose weight, maintain weight, and gain weight doing all kinds of cardio...the difference between the three objectives is your consumption of energy.

Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. I highly recommend identifying some specific and independent fitness goals for yourself...it'll open up a whole new world and be much more fun.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I'm doing both, I do weights first, so I can nail them.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for my heart health and endorphin rush, then later in the day I do 5lb hand weights. I have a weight set in the basement I am hopefully going to be ready for by summer.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Also, I should add that I am still in the process of losing weight. Almost halfway to my goal now.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for 20 minutes to warm up..then weights / circuit

I am going to try to include cardio at the end just to see
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Cardio first, weights after. Much too exhausted to do cardio after weights.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I try to do them separately but if I do them in the same workout, I like cardio first because it warms me up. As I've gotten older, it seems that is more helpful to me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    I do cardio for my heart health and endorphin rush, then later in the day I do 5lb hand weights. I have a weight set in the basement I am hopefully going to be ready for by summer.

...I think most of us are talking about progressive weight training... low reps, high weight rather than high reps at a low weight
  • coralraelamb
    coralraelamb Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do 20-30 min of cardio, then weights after my heart rate is high. That way the increased HR continues. I have been doing this for about 6 months, 3-5 days weekly, and stay at 1200-1600 calories. I have lost 28lbs and have visibly muscle increase. I lift very heavy (for a female). I usually do weighted squats, deadlifts, leg press, lateral pull down, abs, rows, etc. if I still feel good I go back to about 10 min of cardio. I stress the importance of strength training for women. The scale might not move as fast, but your metabolism will increase and you will feel more toned and like the way your body looks. You will burn way more fat this way VS. Burn fat AND muscle if you are dieting without strength training. I suggest you research it. I am about at the end of my newbie gains, am starting to focus on cutting fat, but still doing my weights because I love it and it increases calorie burn, regardless of if I'm building more muscle.
  • kgiffing
    kgiffing Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am curious about weights and cardio. I sometimes do them on the same day, especially if I am taking a rest day the following day. Which is best to do first... the cardio or the weights? Does it really matter?
    Also, in the sense of LOSING weight. I always see people focusing on cardio, cardio, cardio, and then weights when they reach their goal. Thoughts on this?

• lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think people have said it, but what's your goal? If it's to lose weight and keep it off, or if it's to improve your non-muscle fitness, cardio. If it's to gain muscle mass, weights.

Doing weight training takes off the pounds on its own. So, if that's your goal, you'll get there by doing weights first anyway. However, if you do cardio not so much for weight loss but for health/heart/lungs/etc., then taking off the pounds with weights isn't your focus.

All depends on you goal. Still, regardless of your goal, you could switch it up to keep from being bored. But always keep your goal in mind and prioritize that.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I do weights first to maintain good form. Cardio afterwards, if I do it at all. I'm much more focused on weights than cardio these days anyway.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    almost always cardio first.
    Occasionally I do circuits where Ill use the bike/elliptical then do a circuit of weights, then back on the elliptical...repeat for 4 or 5 circuits. Just to mix it up.
    I never do weights first, just a personal choice.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I do weights first. If I'm tired from cardio I find it harder to do the exercises correctly.
  • dobbinuk
    Options
    I don't think it matters but cardio does serve as a good warm up for weights...
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    This is one of those controversial topics. All the literature I've read suggests, and I emphasize the word suggests, to do cardio either one of three ways:

1) 12 hours before weights on the same day. This will allow your muscles to replenish themselves with meals so they are ready for weights.
    2) Weights then Cardio post-weights - Use the first 5-10 minutes to effectively warmup since your muscles will be depleted from weights - however - after about 10 minutes, you should be able to do HIIT or LISS cardio. That's what I do.
    3) Cardio on off days from Weights.

Personally prefer the second method - and I have one cardio day free of weights. Doing the first method is actually preferred but requires two trips to the club - with a busy schedule hard to accomplish.

Hope this helps!