Weight gain during PMS!

Options
When I'm on my period I get very bloated and gain A lot of weight!

During this time I avoid weighing Myself (and if I do weigh in I ignore my weight during this time in regards to my dieting/weight loss journey)

If anyone else experiences this, at what point before ur period do you start gaining weight? And at what point does your weight return to normal?

I know everyone is difference, I'm just curiud (: ....... And if you don't gain weight then have you got any tips or advice if you do anything different

Thank you ladies xxxx

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I sort of inflate a few days before. It's worse if I've had a lot of salt and painful if I've had caffeine. Once the ball gets rolling, so to speak, the excess goes away.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I go up about 3 lbs a few days before and it usually goes back to normal when my period starts.
  • ekl_2
    ekl_2 Posts: 4
    Options
    Welcome to the club, I gain about 1 kg 2-3 days before so relax
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Yep me too!! I'm in that position now. .gained 4 lbs agggh!!! Still by next week I will hopefully have lost it. . I'm trying to exercise through it but boy is it hard ...:)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Up 2-3 pounds (or more if I give in to the intense cravings for all things salty), about 3 days prior to start. I usually start dropping it again on the second day of my actual period and drop .2 to .4 lb per day, ending up back at my pre-period weight - sometimes even a few oz lighter - by the end.

I also bloat up a little around ovulation, directly related to my intense carb cravings (and indulgences) for about 2 days at that time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I "inflated" as well. About 3 days before the scale went up 2-3 water pounds. It went away the day after my period ended. It came BACK the day I ovulated as well (about 14 days before my period.

Now (perimenopause) the scale stays roughly the same until about day 4 of my period and then goes UP for about 3 days. That shift took some getting used to!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Anywhere up to the week before, I can put on weight or just have a stall for a couple of weeks...it drops either day 3 of period or around day 8

Gotta love those hormones
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's my pattern. No way this can be fat gain so relax. I lose those pounds and more over the next 4-5 days. Stay well hydrated. Track your TRENDING weight on something like Weightgrapher to get a realistic sense of what is going on.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its usually just water weight and goes away quickly.

for me, i usually stop losing (i might gain a little but not much). and then it resumes. these daily (and TOM cycles) fluctuations are why so many people shouldnt weigh daily. they don't bother me, so i do (though i only LOG once a week) but for a LOT of people seeing the scale stall or go up at all causes anxiety. if it does for you, get rid of it and weigh once a week elsewhere (a friends, the gym, whereever)
  • meg_balh
    meg_balh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I gain about a day before I start (and I gain quite a bit) My last period I went from 229 to 231, yesterday was my last day (full 7 days) and now I am down to 227. It really just depends how your body works. I hate it during that week but I know that if I do everything like I'm supposed to, I'll still lose at the end of thw week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's not weight gain, it's water retention. Ignore it!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Ive only recently noticed that i gain during ovulation, but stay steady (no loss) during TOM. i believe i used to gain a few lbs when i used to give in to cravings though.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yep !! a whole lotta water weight around the middle, no crop tops for me during that time ;) Sometimes i take health salts with water to try flush it all through if i have a special occasion during that time and don't want a kangaroo pouch on my stomach haha Xx
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Does anyone take water retention tablets I used to use herbal ones but haven't for a while as I spent so much time on the loo.!!
  • rcadogs
    rcadogs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I gained two pounds today and it is getting closer to the time of the month for me. It's always frustrating when this happens, I gain 1-2 pounds before my period! I hope this is water retention.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week at the same time on the same day. I got over the fact that my weight is going to fluctuate a few pounds during the month a long time ago. Look at your progress over a few months not day to day or even week to week (for women especially). Be consistent in your diet and exercise habits and don't let the scale control your mood and motivation levels.

Best of luck!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Every woman gains water weight either during PMS or her period. It's not something you can 'cure' but rather something you live through and move on.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I gain starting around the time of ovulation until the a few days into my cycle.

Then it wooshes and goes away.

It's just a lovely part of being a lady. Lol
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I sometimes gain, and sometimes just maintain, it usually starts half a week to a week before my TOM. I've never lost weight leading up to my tom or during it but by the last day, I always lose (as long as I didn't over do it calories wise during my TOM eek)