1 week in and need advice:)

Options
I posted this in the nutrition section but thought this may be more appropriate in this one.
one week ago I started a physician controlled weight loss program. So far it has been going pretty good and I have lost some weight. Mostly water I thought as my weight loss the first week was 7 lbs. (turns out dr says 4 lbs was muscle and not fat) she gave me a b-12 shot and something called lcarintine or something like that to preserve my muscles.
This lifestyle change consists of low carb(I haven't had ANY this week) high protein foods. I drink NOTHING but water. I would usually drink a glass of crystal light a day and I was pretty dehydrated when I started this so my doctor recommended to drink water only and to drink at least 70 ounces, which I go over most days now. She prescribed me a low dose appetite suppressant to help my body the first couple weeks manage the change. This has helped but I find it hard to log more than 800 calories a day.
So here is my problem. I need to eat more, higher protein and less carbs.. How do I set my percentages on my food diary? Currently I have 50% protein and 25% fat and 25% carb. Is this a good guideline or do I need to raise my protein and lower my carbs?
I want this to be my new lifestyle and I know once the medication is over if I am not eating and excercising right I will have wasted all this time and be right back where I started. Has anyone been through this and if so how did you do it?
Oh and on Friday when I get paid I will be purchasing some kind of work out equipment. I was thinking elliptical. Does anyone have suggestions? Something I can put in my bedroom. Not a whole lot of room to put something. Just not a treadmill because I will be honest, I must be bow legged or something because I feel like I will fall off that thing when I am just walking on it.. Lol!
Thank you to anyone who has suggestions! I really appreciate it!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Change your goals here : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals
    As far as exercise equipment, go to the store and play, so you get something you enjoy.
  • Kchapa82
    Options
    Thanks so much! I had thought about that!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I just have to ask: are you going to an MD or is this doctor a chiropractor or something similar?
  • Kchapa82
    Options
    She is an MD. Originally a cardiologist but from what I have been told she now just focuses on general health and weight loss.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If your under a drs supervision, I would ask the dr.

But IMO, 50% protein is very high. Add some fats (avocado, oil/butter) to add calories without carbs.

Check out the low carb and keto groups here too for more ideas/info!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • Kchapa82
    Options
    She has this scale in her office that prints out a bunch of stats. My weight and I am guessing fat percentage and muscle percentage. When I started the program last week I had a full work up- ekg and labs. Everything looked good. She compared the first printout to my one week checkup and told me I had lost 7 lbs but 4 lbs being muscle.
    -I am starting out at 225 lbs and 218 today. No health problems at all, other than obesity of course.
    I just got into a rut after having 3 kids and I spent all my time focusing on raising them(8,5,4). Then college courses and my career the last 3 years. I didn't like the way I looked but no health issues to really make me go WOW I need to lose weight. Well until recently when I saw how amazing a friend looked after getting herself back healthy and how active and energetic she was.
    I am not! I get home about 7ish and I am TIRED! I don't even feel like cleaning and this coming from someone who scrubs her floors by hand!! So this the reason for the change:) I wanted to do it right so I went to the doctor and they recommended the physician I see now. So now a week later I see some results but still apprehensive about the future... Ya know what I mean!
  • Kchapa82
    Kchapa82 Posts: 33
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Riflow214 wrote: »
    yeah you have to be careful with your calorie intake when losing weight. if its too little you are more likely to be losing muscle and fat. Pound for pound muscle is about 20% plus smaller than fat. Here is a helpful site with great tips.
    http://youthvisit.com/?userid=41027

Thanks so much
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest staying the course. See the difference in a month.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Riflow214 wrote: »
    yeah you have to be careful with your calorie intake when losing weight. if its too little you are more likely to be losing muscle and fat. Pound for pound muscle is about 20% plus smaller than fat. Here is a helpful site with great tips.
    http://youthvisit.com/?userid=41027

Youthvisit is a work from home site. STOP promoting your spam here

• Kchapa82
    Options
    I was wondering why when I click on it I didn't see anything regarding muscle..
  • Kchapa82
    Options
    T
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I suggest staying the course. See the difference in a month.

Thank you:) I Agree one week is not a sufficient amount of time to judge the success:) I really want this to be the last time I have to lose weight!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Kchapa82 wrote: »
    I was wondering why when I click on it I didn't see anything regarding muscle..

Because it's spam. He's got his userid number in the link, so he's likely getting some kind of 'credit' for getting people to click.

I've been reporting them, but unless more people do, they won't go away
  • Kchapa82
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    If your under a drs supervision, I would ask the dr.

But IMO, 50% protein is very high. Add some fats (avocado, oil/butter) to add calories without carbs.

Check out the low carb and keto groups here too for more ideas/info!

When I see fats I am thinking canola oil and fried foods!! Definitely need to educate myself on healthy fats!! I love avocados!! Thanks for the advice
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Kchapa82 wrote: »
    I posted this in the nutrition section but thought this may be more appropriate in this one.
    one week ago I started a physician controlled weight loss program. So far it has been going pretty good and I have lost some weight. Mostly water I thought as my weight loss the first week was 7 lbs. (turns out dr says 4 lbs was muscle and not fat) she gave me a b-12 shot and something called lcarintine or something like that to preserve my muscles.
    This lifestyle change consists of low carb(I haven't had ANY this week) high protein foods. I drink NOTHING but water. I would usually drink a glass of crystal light a day and I was pretty dehydrated when I started this so my doctor recommended to drink water only and to drink at least 70 ounces, which I go over most days now. She prescribed me a low dose appetite suppressant to help my body the first couple weeks manage the change. This has helped but I find it hard to log more than 800 calories a day.
    So here is my problem. I need to eat more, higher protein and less carbs.. How do I set my percentages on my food diary? Currently I have 50% protein and 25% fat and 25% carb. Is this a good guideline or do I need to raise my protein and lower my carbs?
    I want this to be my new lifestyle and I know once the medication is over if I am not eating and excercising right I will have wasted all this time and be right back where I started. Has anyone been through this and if so how did you do it?
    Oh and on Friday when I get paid I will be purchasing some kind of work out equipment. I was thinking elliptical. Does anyone have suggestions? Something I can put in my bedroom. Not a whole lot of room to put something. Just not a treadmill because I will be honest, I must be bow legged or something because I feel like I will fall off that thing when I am just walking on it.. Lol!
    Thank you to anyone who has suggestions! I really appreciate it!

Good luck to you ! :)
    My tip is to fill up on delicious veggies, AND DRINK LOADS OF WATER and tea. an elliptical is good or even a stationary bike because you can just do it in front of the tv or reading a book. Or even just going for walks
    Your body does need carbs so try getting them in in the morning (maybe weetabix or a slice of wholemeal toast which is also good for digestion) also try to eat healthy fats because it helps with weight loss and making you feel fuller for longer
    XxXxXx
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    In order to preserve your muscle, you not only need to eat enough protein, but also do some sort of strength exercise. Cardio is great, but it won't keep you from losing a lot of muscle. Can you get some dumbbells or kettle bells, or go a gym with free weights?
  • Kchapa82
    Options
    I will report also happyfeetrebel1!
    I have been on this site all morning and now I am all pumped to go get something now.. Lol I may just do that instead of waiting a week! Lol
    Dancingmoosie I have a gym in town but I live out and with three little ones and a needy husband I don't know if I can get away long enough to work out properly! Lol
    This is why i was thinking at home .. In my room kinda thing:) not sure what kettle bells are but I'm sure I can research that... Using weights makes sense in building muscle. Cardio is more for sliming down right? Burning calories and that sort of thing.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One of the main reasons to consider a Gym before buying a piece of exercise equipment is that it allows you to Test Drive various piece before you invest your hard earned money. To many people have Treadmills/Ellipticals being used as Clothes Hangers because it turns out they don't like the machine they bought.

As you said in an earlier post you don't like treadmills " I must be bow legged or something because I feel like I will fall off that thing when I am just walking on it.. Lol! "

I felt like that on a treadmill when I first started and found that if I picked a spot on the wall and kept my eyes on it this kept me from moving off center and slowly built up my confidence and trust. I now have one of the Electronic Photo Frames hanging there so I am all ways looking at Family pictures as they cycle through the display and some choice music in my earbuds.

Another good thing about the Gym is to get a few sessions with one of the accredited trainers and set up a weight lifting program to help maintain muscle strength. Were not talking about a major bulking program just some thing to ease you into a good repeatable routine that you will be comfortable with as a starting point. 60 Minutes away from the House and Family 2/3 times a week is also good for the soul.

Take a look at the different Groups in MFP http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups .
    Some of the ones that I am a member of or visit to read the tips are
    C25K - for building up your running/treadmill exercise
    Swimmers - for the swimmers
    Eat, Train, Progress - for weightlifting/nutrition and general fitness
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Read the information at these MFP post. It has links to multiple very good reads. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Try the USDA site as a cross reference for nutrition values of different food diary entries.
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You'll slim down but a lot of that slimming will be muscle loss. A lot of cardio queens end up losing pounds but still have a lot of fat, hence the term "skinny fat."

If you are truly interested in fat loss, the most important thing is diet, but for fitness you need to incorporate strength training along with cardio.

Personally, I do mostly strength training, 2-3 days a week. I only do any cardio maybe 1-2 times a week. My weight loss is very slow, but I'd say all of it has been fat.
  • Kchapa82
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    You'll slim down but a lot of that slimming will be muscle loss. A lot of cardio queens end up losing pounds but still have a lot of fat, hence the term "skinny fat."

If you are truly interested in fat loss, the most important thing is diet, but for fitness you need to incorporate strength training along with cardio.

Personally, I do mostly strength training, 2-3 days a week. I only do any cardio maybe 1-2 times a week. My weight loss is very slow, but I'd say all of it has been fat.

I am not concerned with my scale.. Lbs come and go.. What I am looking for is fat loss, not wearing a size 16 jeans and definitely not huffing and puffing going up the stairs.. Lol!!
    I just want to be healthy for my body not someone else's. I have a thick frame anyway and before kids I weighed in at 160 and was very thin for my body. That is where I would like to be again.. Fit for my body! Having muscle is very important because I don't want to look good but can't open a ketchup bottle!! Lol!!