Advice about Ellipticals

Options
Good morning, MFP friends!

I'm thinking about getting an elliptical and would love some suggestions about good brands, models, etc that you use at home. Likewise, if you have any warnings about ellipticals to stay away from, I'd appreciate that, too! I'm doing research online, but I realized I have a very valuable source of information right here on MFP with all you fantastic fitness enthusiasts.

I've used a treadmill at home for a long time, but the motor is going out and I'd really like to get an elliptical this time around. I'm a working mom of two with a daily commute, so the at-home, EARLY morning work out is my best option. Thanks in advance for any advice!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    In my experience with my elliptical... if you're short, don't get one. I fought with mine for almost 3 years and thought there was something wrong with me. I bought a treadmill a few months ago, and it turns out it wasn't me... I'm much better off with the treadmill.

If you're not short, well I'll leave that for someone else! :ohwell:
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    In my honest opinion the only elliptical that are worth using are the extremely expensive ones that are at the gym. It's probably best to just get a gym membership. That way if you decide to transition into running or other activities you can cancel your gym membership. If you buy an elliptical and decide to do something else you'll be stuck with this piece of equipment that you'll end up selling for a third of what you paid for it. That's just my two cents.
  • RProhofsky
    RProhofsky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love using ellipticals! Recommend that what ever you get it should incline. I don't get my heart rate up as high as I want to without the incline
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I bought a Gold Gym Stridetrainer...not the super cheap one but the medium priced one. It's not perfect, but I love it. it has 6 preset workouts and different incline levels. It has the monitor on the front and tells me the distance, speed, calroies, heart rate, etc...i really like mine and feel it is a huge factor in my weight loss. I liked the option of buying one for home over going to the gym everyday. It works for me...
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything so don't let anything below lead you to believe differently:

Buy the best quality (not highest price) one you can possibly afford. You'll thank yourself later.

Look for a stride length ~20 inches. Or an adjustable stride.

Go to a exercise store that sells different makes and models (not Sears, etc...) and try out the Top of the line of each model they have all the way down to bottom of the choices. You will be able to tell the difference right away. The low end machines even feel 'hinky' when they are brand new, and will not hold up in the long run.

I went for a mid range Vision Fitness X30 with the low end computer head (I have an HRM so I don't require all them bells and whistles).

This is mine: http://www.athomefitness.com/Vision-Fitness-X30-Elliptical-p-16873.html

Hope this helps.

Also when you get it make a point to stay off your tip-toes when you are using it. Many people claim numbness in the toes after about 20 to 30 minutes. I found this too, but research (for me) showed that I was up on my toes. Now I concentrate on rolling my foot heel-toe.

Good luck to you. An Elliptical is a great tool that will increase your workout/calorie burn in less time with lower impact to your joints.

:flowerforyou:
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Owned a "Vision Fitness" elliptical for several years now, they aren't cheap but are well built and hold up to the abuse giving a great work out day after day. Even when I was 200+ pounds I could really get it moving and it remained rock solid not bouncing around like some ellipticals I have used at hotels.

Check the higher end fitness retailers in your area and compare their machines to the standard sport stores. In the end it will come down to a price for performance decision only you can make.
  • scratchless
    scratchless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    afternoon Pinup.

are you in the UK or somewhere else?

Obviously brands differ from country to country, I spend all my time on cross trainers but I have dodgy ankles so I cant use a treadmill.

I agree with UKhennin, unfortunately you do have to spend a bit of money on one to get a good one, ignore the ones in your run of mill sports shops in town, you need to go to a place that has them on show and unfortunately pay a bit more for.

This site is where I bought mine from http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/ and I buy all my free weights and equipment.
    Here is also the one I use which I cant fault at all. I love it and use it for 2 hours a day. http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/standard_elliptical_trainers/vision_fitness_elite_x6100_hr_folding_elliptical_/2915_p.html this is £1000

They deal with people that are serious bout keeping fit and also supply 90% of the big name gyms in the UK. so you know there stuff is quality.

First off, no one can afford commercial CT’s so you really do need to shop around.

The biggest difference is the stride length.

In my opinion the bigger the better mine is 19.75 and the ones I use at my gym are 20+
    This is the effectively size of the stride and the Wheel on the back or front. For me the bigger the wheel the bigger the stride length and the more natural it will be.

Some of the cheaper ones go up 16 stride length and you feel like your running on the spot, not healthy at all and screws with your knees.

Look at the length of the machine as well, being 6ft tall if I get on a short machine my knees hit the arm bars, not a problem for shorter people but can happen.

I am not going to recommend a brand cause each person is individual I have stood on machines worth £2500 in this shop that they supply to gyms and they feel so unnatural.

My best advice is

Spend more than £500
    Get one with a high stride figure
    MOST IMPORTANTLY DON’T BUY ONE TILL YOU TRY IT. (it has to feel natural to you) it wont get better with time.

All the other gizmos are added bonuses, programmable units, heart rate monitors etc.

Hope this helps.
  • pinup_mama
    pinup_mama Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate the advice I've gotten so far -- it's lovely to have so many "experts" at my fingertips! :flowerforyou: