Increasing running stamina

Options
Anybody have any tips or tricks on increasing stamina while running.?
I find it difficult to run for more than 1/4 mi without going into a walk.
I can walk for a few more feet and then I can pick up again running.

I'm @ 7000 ft or 2133.2 m in altitude.
I've never really ran this high up.
So I understand its a factor I just don't think its that big of a deal.

Any tips out there?

Replies

• emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I do the run/walk method. I ran 10 miles today. We run 4min. then walk for 1 minute and repeat till we finish. When I started a few years ago I was doing 1/1 Slowly over time I have increased my time and my distance while getting a bit faster. The only other thing that would help is speed work but you need to build up a base first. See if you can find a running group in your area.
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Check out this link! I have used it to start running and I am amazed at how far I have come already!

Best of luck!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you are just starting out, the run/walk method is the best way to build stamina. I started running/walking in May 2010. Now I can run 3 miles non-stop in about 32 minutes while running/walking an additional 2 or 3 depending on time and stamina. Keep it up. You'll get there. I still have a lot of work as my goal is to run a 5k and 10k in the coming months.
  • ylosil
    ylosil Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with the run/walk method to build endurance. Try the 1/1 for 1/4 mile and you'll see that you'll finish it with not as much difficulty as just running straight. You'll reach 1/2 mile soon then you increase it to 2 minutes running 1 minute walking. Jeff Galloway is a good one to look up for tips for beginner runners. Good luck!
  • yaafee
    yaafee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I found that 1min run/1min walk was too much stopping and starting, it was actually HARDER as those numbers were smaller (I started with a group that did 45s run/ 15s walk... it beat me up). I've been doing run/walk with my sister for about a year now. We mix it up, 3r/1w, 5r/2w, long runs of 10 minutes walk as long as we need... Now that we are training for the 1/2 marathon, we're doing 4r/1w which is MUCH easier to get 40 minutes of running in than it was when we were doing the same amount on 5r/2w. As you build stamina, switch it up, see what works best for you. (And remember, the more you mix it up, the easier it is for your body to lose weight.)

Good luck, keep up with the good work.
    Carrie
  • jparrish88
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses there seems to be a consensus that run walk is ok. Thank you all.
  • Nikkip130
    Nikkip130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    do the c25k program...if u have a smart phone just download the app
    worked for me.
    i started out jogging for 60 sec. at a time (i was 173 pounds then)
    now I can run non stop for one whole hour!!!!!(about 5 miles and hour)
    u can do it
  • crissimoyer
    Options
    Best I can say is slow down. If I start out too fast I can't pace myself later. You might be able to walk faster than you are running at that moment but you can pick up the pace until you feel comfortable. I start at about a 12 min mile & end up at 10 or 10.5 min mile during the run. Good Luck!!!
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    By the way 7000ft is a big deal! It will be tougher to get started because your body will tire out more quickly. I live at the beach, flew in to a 10000ft elevation site for work for 10 days and did 3 treadmill workouts and a 10k race while I was there...thought I might die on the treadmill the first day...but if you are living at that elevation start slowly and I'm sure you'll do fine. The bonus, if you come down to sea level you'll be a machine!
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Im a bit like that on the run / walk energy front! HOWEVER, Im more of a cycling fan and had a success yesterday that I was unable to recreate today. Yesterdays pre-cycle meal, 1 hr before was this: (it was actually a pre packed Tesco Light Choices meal)

1/2 (which is 175 gms) of Tesco Light Choices creamy mushroom pasta
    Cup of chopped up spinach
    Cup of lettuce (I used Lambs Lettuce)
    6 chopped up Plum Tomatoes
    Grated carrot
    1 tbsp olive oil with basil & parsley

Mix it all up & serve with 1 pitta

I served it near to cold and it was yum.

Tried to go with the pasta idea, 1 hr pre-ride today and it didnt work. I wonder if it was the spinach? The meal the day before included sweet potato, which I know is also good for energy.....

Wonder if anyone else has had any 'energy' successes?
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    do the c25k program...if u have a smart phone just download the app
    worked for me.
    i started out jogging for 60 sec. at a time (i was 173 pounds then)
    now I can run non stop for one whole hour!!!!!(about 5 miles and hour)
    u can do it

I would second that, I started it 6 weeks ago and can run at a light jog speed for 20 minutes, I run faster outside than I do on a treadmill which I am surprised about. I mostly train on a treadmill but I am trying to build up my running outside so that I can do a 5k in July.
  • Veele_
    Veele_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Slow down. If you're struggling, you've gone too fast. Key to endurance is slow long runs. Listen to your body. If the altitude is a major change then it is going to affect your running. I am a running group leader and am always advising my runners to slow down if something is feeling challenging. Soon enough you will notice that you're getting better and doing those hills and longer runs feel easier, as well as faster.