Severe abdominal pain. Protein powder?

Options
On Monday I started a weight lifting plan and put a lot of effort into my nutrition and by Thursday I was in severe pain barely able to stand. I was eating around 2200 calories with 200g of protein and around 40g of fiber because I know protein really binds me up if I don't eat enough fiber. I had two protein shakes a day the rest was fruit, veggies, lean meats and whole grains. Anyone else have this problem? I'm so irritated that I put all this effort into eating right and I'm having severe side effects.

Replies

• enrique
    enrique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Why do you need so much protein?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Agree^^ Your protein is really high.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Protein powders can cause excess gas, so it could be that. I was having really odd inside issues (felt almost like heart palpitations) and it turned out to be the vitamins (one-a-days) I was taking.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    You mentioned fiber, is the protein you're consuming the source of this fiber, as well? For a while I was getting sick from consuming protein bars, but it turned out just to be the fiber content was too much for me. If it's not that, maybe you have a whey sensitivity? I would just recommend cutting back a little bit and see what happens, but if you're still having issues I would see a doctor!
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had some lower right abdominal pain the past couple days and wondered if it could be protein or a supplement I'm taking as well. My guess is it's gas but it still freaks me out a little. I've had minor ab cramps before, apart from menstrual cramps of course. I'm probably averaging about 130 G protein a day which is how much I weigh. I never have had this much protein consumption before. I've been drinking 2 shakes a day most days for the last 3 weeks, eating lots of meat, some milk and eggs. So I dunno, could be the protein.
  • Lendah13
    Lendah13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does your protein drink have Splenda in it? Your symptoms sound like what happens to me after I consume Splenda.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Lendah13 wrote: »
    Does your protein drink have Splenda in it? Your symptoms sound like what happens to me after I consume Splenda.

Mine does, I also consume sucralose regularly in other foods like protein bars I have a few times a week
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    mine has been making me super sick, bloating, stomach pains. i threw it out.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I get like that after ONE protein bar. You don't need to be eating more than .8g of protein per pound of body weight btw. It just goes to waste, it's not a bonus!

Never underestimate how important fat is for regularity too! Fibre is so overrated.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Also, anytime you increase fiber, especially if your taking powdered fiber, i think you're supposed to increase your water intake significantly. I am not sure though- something i read. Google it. Side effects of too much protein or taking fiber supplements
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Unless you are picking up cars on a daily basis as part of your exercise and lifting routine, 200g of protein is absolutely unnecessary.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If you're having "severe" pain anywhere, you shouldn't be posting on the internet, you should be seeing a physician.
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with increasing water intake, also you are supposed to increase fiber slowly so your body can adjust or you will be CONSTIPATED! Alot of protein powders and bars use soy protein which is very hard on my stomach. Also read the ingredient list, I bet there are a ton of chemicals you can hardly pronounce. I think you would do much better getting your protein from whole foods like eggs, chicken, and lean beef than the highly processed protein bars and powder. Also agree with the artificial sweeteners, they can cause abdominal cramping. Trial and error to find what works for you, good luck!
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm almost positive it's the protein powder. I ate regularly today and no protein shake and I'm fine. I think you are right and I was overdoing it. I've never had that much a problem before with it but I never had two shakes a day either. I was using super advanced whey isolate by body fortress. Unfortunately I really liked my morning shake but that pain was not worth it!