Question about projected BF% loss

Options
Okay, forgive me if this is kind of a stupid question. The last time I measured my body fat percentage (electrical impedance), it was 36% at 230 pounds. This suggests that approximately 82.8 pounds of my weight is fat. To be at my suggested weight, I would have to lose about 80 pounds. I know that there's no way that those 80 pounds that I shed will be purely attributed to fat loss, but assuming that I do a lot of strength training in addition to my cardio exercise and lose mostly fat, what is a reasonable range for what my body fat percentage should be once I GET to my target weight (not after x number of months of continuing to exercise and eat healthy, but what I should expect to be at once I reach my goal)?

If you remember what your BF% was once you reached your weight goal after a major weight loss, I would like to hear about that as well. Thanks.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Electrical impedance is a notoriously inaccurate way to measure body fat. I wouldn't put too much stock in that number if I were you.

Read this: nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Just do out the math!

At 280lbs you have 80lbs of fat
    Lets say you lose 80 pounds and 60 of them are fat (I don't know if this is realistic, but just for purposes of doing the math.)
    If that happens you will be 200lbs and 20lbs of it will be fat. That would be 10% body fat.

Now, obviously that may be totally unreasonable, and it might be more likely that you will lose only 40lbs of pure fat or something, but do you see how I did the calculation? You can play around with that to predict where you will be.
  • jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i get a monthly InBody scale bf printout monthly,done by trained gym staff.
    11 2014. weight 83.0 kg.bf% 19.1.bmi 27.7
    12 2014. ". 79.6kg, ". 16.8. "" 26.6
    02. 2015. ". 76.0kg. ". 15.5. "" 25.4.

its a great indicator for me of how i am progressing,and can plan future training goals accordingly.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing, but your post inspired me to do the math. I don't know if I'm typical, but I've lost about 4 lbs of muscle over the last 35lbs. This is based on an impedance scale, which I realize is inaccurate, but the trend has been reasonably steady.