Calorie Counting Help

Options
I need some help if anyone is willing to and educated on this topic :) I am wanting to lose 20-25lbs. I currently work full time, am a full time student and have an 8 month old son. My fitness pal has recommended I stay at 940 calories a day. I typically eat just over 1000 and do small at home workouts because that's all I have time and energy for. The problem is that I'm not seeing any results. I don't know if this is due to my diet or the type of workouts I am doing. Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing? Thank you!

Replies

• bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Could be a little bit of both. To be honest, the MFP guided calorie thing is crap. It's not accurate and doesn't take into account a lot of factors. If you're looking to shed weight you'll want to do workouts that keep your heart rate up for 30-60 minutes. Low carb/carb cycling has been a proven method since the 70's. Instead of counting calories just try and keep track of your macros (fat, carbs, and protein). A good baseline for women is typically low fat (less than 35g) and higher in protein (150g) and cycle carbs (i.e. 25g one day, 50g the next 2 days, 100g the fourth day, repeat). But everyone is different and you may need to adjust as needed. Hope that helps
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    First, recalculate your deficit to losingn a pound a week. MFP isn't supposed to be giving goals under 1200 calories, and with little to lose a higher deficit runs the risk of not getting enough nutrients and losing muscle mass. It will also give you more energy to exercise and take care of your little one (especially if you're breastfeeding!)

Second, ensure you are logging everything you eat accurately and honestly. If you don't have a food scale, purchase one. You haven't said how long you've been at this, but if you've gone longer than 2-3 weeks without losing weight, then there's something wrong with your logging.
  • millie740
    millie740 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Could be a little bit of both. To be honest, the MFP guided calorie thing is crap. It's not accurate and doesn't take into account a lot of factors. If you're looking to shed weight you'll want to do workouts that keep your heart rate up for 30-60 minutes. Low carb/carb cycling has been a proven method since the 70's. Instead of counting calories just try and keep track of your macros (fat, carbs, and protein). A good baseline for women is typically low fat (less than 35g) and higher in protein (150g) and cycle carbs (i.e. 25g one day, 50g the next 2 days, 100g the fourth day, repeat). But everyone is different and you may need to adjust as needed. Hope that helps
    Science, not even once. Carb cycling isn't proven at all. There is literally no empirical proof that it does anything at all. The one and only way to lose weight is to eat in a deficit. No one loses weight any other way. If carb cycling personally worked for you or someone you know, it was because it also put them in a deficit. This is true about any diet that ever "worked" for anyone. Also why is low fat good for a women? Care to provide any reasoning or evidence to support that? Fat is important for both men and women and getting in moderate fats does not inhibit or slow weight loss providing calories are in check. Some people find fat more satiating and do well eating higher fat. That is fine providing calories are still in a deficit.

Millie, I would guess that if you are eating 1000 calories a day, doing workouts, and not losing weight, that you are really eating a lot more than 1000 calories a day. This is very common and happens to most new people who attempt calorie counting. Give these to threads a read and report back on if you are still confident you are only eating 1000 calories a day: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101 http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • millie740
    millie740 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had read that first thread before I posted these questions. I know for a fact I am staying around 1000-1100 calories a day, and am exercising enough to get to below 940 calories overall. I'm not seeing changes in the scale but I can see a little bit more toning. I used to run track in college so I have a general idea of what I need to do. I just don't have the energy or time or ability to go to a track or gym due to my son, work and school which is why I need to work out at home.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? It would be very surprising that you aren't losing any weight eating the calories you are eating unless you are extremely petite. You do not need a gym or track to lose weight. Weight loss is 100% about calories in vs out. If you are very confident with your count (weighing everything, no cheat days/meals, not eating out) and your are really not losing at 1000 calories a day, I'd consider making an appointment with a doctor to draw some blood work. Almost everyone should lose weight at those calories.