Post baby weightloss

Options
Hi! I recently had my 2nd baby girl.(6wks ago) and I am currently breastfeeding. I really want to take advantage of the "head start" breastfeeding gives and start working towards my goal weight. I didn't gain any weight during pregnancy but I was already overweight. I am 199lbs and 5'5". My goal weight is about 135 but I just want to be healthy and comfortable in my skin.

Anyone else breastfeeding? What are realistic goals to set without impacting my milk supply? Any tips?TIA

Replies

• intactbynature
    intactbynature Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding mama right here. I have my goals set to lose half a pound a week. If you go into the food category, type in breastfeeding and it will come up as negative calories. Add breastfeeding to your 'snacks' every day to compensate for calories lost through breastfeeding.
  • rollanda123
    Options
    I am a breastfeeding mummy too, how meny calories a day are you allowing yourself!? I am currently 140lbs and 17 weeks post baby! Want to get down to 120lbs, have already lost 4.5 lbs in 2 weeks! Advice and tips very welcome!
  • newjessica
    Options
    Hey ladies! I am post baby also :) I was also overweight, 188lbs when I got preggers and I lost my baby weight+ after birth very fast but now it is slowing down. Baby boy is 7 months and I am still BF 3 times a day which is a lot less then in the beginning so I know that is why. I am just now rejoining MyFitnessPal and I set it up for .5lbs a week which gives me a little over 1800. I have read BF moms should have at least 1800 a day. And thanks so much @intactbynature‌ for the tip I was looking everywhere for something like that. I am doing the one that measures the calories by ounce since I know aprox. how much milk I produce from pumping.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have a 7 week old! I lost 35 pounds using MFP right before getting pregnant, but gained it all back during pregnancy. And then of course only 10 pounds came off after he was born, lol. I'm doing well so far though, I have lost 8 pounds in just under 3 weeks. I have my goal at losing 1 pound per week and I give myself 500 calories a day for breastfeeding. And I eat back half of my exercise calories. I would say I usually don't eat all my calories though, I probably have 200 leftover most days. My milk supply has been fine at this point. Baby sleeps 7 hours in a row at night so he's obviously getting enough, and I pump once a day and the amount of milk I get hasn't changed.
  • bethanistan
    bethanistan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!! My son is 9.5 weeks and i've lost 32lbs so far which is all the weight i gained while preggers plus 1 or 2 but the scale stopped moving about 3 weeks ago. No matter what i do it won't budge. I'm 171 at 5'4 right now and i'm trying to shed the 30lbs i gained the year it took to conceive (freaking hormones). I've been told that the body has maternal fat stores and prevents the body from losing them until it's sure it can sustain the milk supply which is why a lot of times you will lose only what you gained while preg and nothing else until months 3-6 or even as late as time of weaning. I screwed myself in my first pregnancy five years ago by going into starvation mode prior to getting pregnant and gained 55lbs (of pretty much cucumber) and my body hung onto it for over a year. Didn't end up losing it all until my son was almost two. I'm much healthier this time around so i'm hoping to break that maternal store sooner. Sounds like we are all in the same boat. I just hate those stupid celebs that get on tv 6 or 7 weeks PP and look amazing. Give us all too much pressure, like we don't have enough already!
  • Ywilliams82
    Ywilliams82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm 7 weeks PP and I had a natural delivery and exclusively breastfeeding.

I've lost 23lbs so far and want to lose an additional 35lbs (not all of that is baby weight)

Feel free to add me, can always do with motivation :smiley: