Whole 30

Options
I have been reading up on the Whole 30 lifestyle. Has anyone on here tried it and have you had any success with it? I am planning on starting my Whole 30 on March 1st, which I know I won't track calories during my 30 days. After the 30 days though I will be back to using MFP just with more of what I have learned during the Whole 30. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Whole 30 wasn't designed as a weight loss diet, was it?
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Whole 30 is an elimination diet that follows the rules of Paleolithic eating. Many people do lose weight, but the purpose is to see how things like grains and processed foods affect your body. I think it is a great way to start on the Paleo lifestyle. Eating this way has literally saved my life by controlling my clotting disorder and has allowed me to lose a lot of weight. Good Luck!
  • MrsVillano
    Options
    I follow the whole 30 over the summer since fresh veggies are easily available. Pick up staples gradually so you don't get sticker shock when trying to buy everything at once. coconut aminos and coconut oil are probably the priciest of the bunch, aside from the organic eggs and meat. Whole foods has compliant bacon.. I lost 5 lbs but overall feel my best when on the plan. Good luck!
  • jg1117
    jg1117 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No, it wasn't designed as a weight loss diet. I am anticipating losing weight on it because I am far from my goal but looking into it more so for the health benefits. I am looking to gain more energy, reduce food cravings and learn a better lifestyle for myself and family. I have some local friends who love it and was just looking for some other input. Thank you for your feedback! :)
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am attempting one as well. I am cheating a little as I am using tomato sauce and so forth but trying to make sure that it does not have any sugar, soy and so forth in it.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I looked into it. Sounded horrible, not allowed to eat any of the things I love. Didn't do it. :smiley:
  • RachaelStJ
    RachaelStJ Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The Whole30 program is sort of like a restart for your body. At the end, you can slowly reintroduce foods and see what ones affect you negatively. The book is a great read, I highly recommend it.
  • scooter_23
    scooter_23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my 2nd Whole30 on Wednesday. It wasn't a very sustainable way of eating for me but I do like having a little detox. Suggestion- Do it with a partner/friend/or someone
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I did research Whole 30 at one point, but have never done it.

Just wanted to add... why wouldn't you log while you are doing it? Even if you are not focused on losing weight during this time, one of the benefits of measuring and logging your foods is learning what a serving size looks like and seeing where the extra calories in your diet are coming from. I would think you can learn even more from the Whole 30 process if you discover what a serving size of these whole foods are and how they will fit into your eating plan once you are done with it. Sometimes it is easier to learn how to make logging work for you when logging isn't all that important, if that makes any sense. Plus, I would just be curious about how many calories I am eating in that month, and the difference once I start adding foods back in, but maybe that's just me.

Just a suggestion :). Regardless, good luck!
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 9. I feel great, clothes seem to be fitting better, and wedding ring is getting loose. I'm not doing it to lose weight, I'm trying to eliminate some symptoms I have. The weight loss will be a bonus, but just to feel so much better is really nice.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    A "restart" for your body? Explain this restart? Unless it sends you back to the womb, there is no restarting.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    A "restart" for your body? Explain this restart? Unless it sends you back to the womb, there is no restarting.

Ugh, that would be horrid. :s
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Ugh, that would be horrid. :s

And think of how your poor mother would feel!

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have done the Whole 30. For me, it was more mental. I was at 70 pounds lost, and I had become lazy with logging and my eating was not where it should have been to lose the rest. I felt great on it, and sure lost some water weight too. But I did learn a lot about what types of food my body needs to fuel my workouts and what it doesn't need.

As far as the Whole 30 being a detox... no.