walking to loose weight

I am on oxygen 24hrs per day and so far have been walking 2 miles per day for 5 days per week is there any strength training i can do . My doctor encourages my walking and my fitness pal. Any ideas?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Sounds like a good question to ask your doctor...
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2015
    Walking is good for stress relief and overall fitness when you are just starting out. Eating in a caloric deficit will help with the weight loss. But yes! Walking is wonderful for you. Do it!

I am in the best shape of my life and sometimes love to just talk a little walk. It is great.
  • castlescott
    castlescott Posts: 6 Member
    I have been eating a 1200 calorie diet lost 17 lbs at a standstill for 2 months
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    I have been eating a 1200 calorie diet lost 17 lbs at a standstill for 2 months

May I ask why you're on oxygen? Does it prohibit you from lifting weights?
  • castlescott
    I have copd and no it doesnt stop me from lifting weights just wondering where to start.
  • castlescott
    I have been walking 2 miles a day in 40min
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    I am on oxygen 24hrs per day and so far have been walking 2 miles per day for 5 days per week is there any strength training i can do . My doctor encourages my walking and my fitness pal. Any ideas?

Hi Castle - I'm on O2 24/7 as well so understand the challenges. Walking 2 miles a day is awesome and better than I can do! I've been on MFP since last June. I've been riding a stationary bike 30 - 40 min/day for 5 days per week since I started. I have recently added 2 lb weights and work my arms a bit while riding. Lifting weight uses a lot of O2! I get winded pretty quickly with even two pounds, but I'm going to keep at it. You could incorporate hand weights into your walking routine and see how it is for you.

My feeling is, even if the exercise isn't enough to facilitate weight lose, anything we can do at this point to rehab our lungs is good and walking (or riding) is good for cardio and overall health.

I've accepted that I lose weight at a slower rate than many because I am tethered to this machine but it's a steady downward trend. I've gone from 165 lb and a BMI of 30.2 to 142 and a BMI of 26. I've reached my original goal of 145 last month and now I'm aiming for 130 lb.

Feel free to add me to your friend's list.
  • dpgalbreath
    dpgalbreath Posts: 26 Member
    You are so strong I love your inspiring amazing story. I have chronic asthma and I really get winded when I exercise and here you are on oxygen and your doing 2 miles a day.
  • pmcclorey
    pmcclorey Posts: 11 Member
    I have COPD as well but not advanced enough to be on oxygen yet. Walking is great! I've even gotten to the point that I can do 30 second jogging in my walks. Great job to you and the best of luck!
  • castlescott
    thank you all it means a lot to know there is others who understand. I am at 155 and trying to get to 140. I cant say i have cheated on my diet occasionally. But i go right back to it. If you are riding a stationary bike for 30 min thats great its more than i can do. Good luck and God Bless all.