How Many Calories Do You Have Left At The End Of The Day?

Options
How much of a deficit are you guys in? I'm trying to lose 2 pounds a week, does anyone know how much I need to have left at the end of the day?

Replies

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    If you put in all your information accurately and created your program telling it that you wanted to lose 2lbs per week, you should eat all of your calories (or close to it). The calorie goal that MFP made already created the deficit for you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ideally you should have 0 left
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Since the deficit is already built into the number, you don't need to leave any additional calories at the end of the day. Sometimes it's nice to leave a little extra in case of miscalculating measurements/weights/exercise calories, or to allow yourself more leeway on other days of the week. If you're already set at 2lbs a week, your calorie goal is probably already quite small, so I wouldn't leave anything at the end of the day or you risk eating too little.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    How much of a deficit are you guys in? I'm trying to lose 2 pounds a week, does anyone know how much I need to have left at the end of the day?

If you set your MFP account to lose 2 pounds per week you should eat the calories it gives you, as that number already has your goal deficit built in. Which yes means eating back your exercise calories (though if your using MFP burn estimators they tend to be high so most eat 50-75% back) The number MFP gives you under the reports section that's your deficit under your goal and should be close to zero.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    TO lose your goal amount of weight you entered into MFP you should be as close to 0 calories remaining as possible. That said if you are exercising I would aim for eating only 50-75% of the exercise cals to make up for estimation errors.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have 0 left. That's the point. You're supposed to eat all of the calories allotted to you.
  • Yodee
    Yodee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I tend to have some left because my work schedule is so erratic sometimes but it also gives me a little leeway when I want to go over my calories.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Most days I only leave 1-10 calories left, but I am only allotted 1270 per day to lose 1 lb per week.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My 30 day average has been 1876/1900 so I pretty much eat all of them. I manually set my goals slightly lower than 1lb/wk and I don't usually eat back my exercise calories which has netted me an average of 1.8lb/wk loss the past 14 days.
  • fragileelegance
    fragileelegance Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I run it across the week so some days a couple of hundred and some days I go over...over the week I have between 0 and 500 calories left
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    edited original post....

sorry wrong thread :D
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ~50 to 0.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You do realize that your calorie GOAL is your deficit right...you don't have to leave calories at the end of the day to be in a deficit...you eat to your GOAL.

I don't have any calories left at the end of the day...I hit my GOALs.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    LOL none. This week I've been over. *shrug* Some days I don't eat back all of my exercise calories, but I'm also not in a huge hurry.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    0. He/she who can eat the most and still lose weight is the winner!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think most people here are missing the question. I think what OP means is, after having breakfast, lunch, dinner, how many do you have left to snack with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think most people here are missing the question. I think what OP means is, after having breakfast, lunch, dinner, how many do you have left to snack with.

I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP means...given the question:
    I'm trying to lose 2 pounds a week, does anyone know how much I need to have left at the end of the day?
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My daily kcal goal is ~1400, most days I net anywhere between 1000-1400 depending on how much activity I get in. I like to leave myself a bit of extra room most weekdays so that I can indulge in a little treat on the weekends (for example, this week I have ~1700 "uneaten" kcal which will be used for the glass of wine and piece of cheesecake I'm going to have for dessert tonight).
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Depends..... on Mon, Wed & Fri I have about 3000 calories left over. On Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun I have eaten all my 2000cals and perhaps a little more.... depending on if I've had pizza or not.