Dealing with siblings eating my stuff?

Options
Hi all!
I've just started trying to eat healthier, I live with my parents and have siblings in the house. I've been buying myself healthy snacks to snack on (such as fruit, nuts etc...) but I'm having the problem of my 13 year old brother eating all my stuff?
We have family food in the cupboards, but it's all crisps, chocolate, biscuits etc... Which he is welcome to eat(I can't snack on these, obviously.) yet he still seems to thinks it's okay to eat my stuff? I don't mind him taking the odd apple, grapes etc... But he can't just do that. If he starts eating grapes, he'll eat the lot. If he has an apple, he'll have to have 3. I can't afford to keep buying myself this stuff if he's going to eat it all! :(

Now, I've tried sitting him down and asking him politely and he says he won't eat it...And then within the next hour he's eating it again! I've asked my parents to ask him, yet he still won't listen.

Is there any way I can go about this? :(

Replies

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. The only way I managed was to stow the food that did not need to be refrigerated in my closet where my sibs wouldn't find it. You could also try getting a lockbox to put in the fridge that no one else knows the combo to. :P

Or, if you wanted to be less shady, you could ask your parents to buy more of whatever of yours your brother is eating, or just ask your parents to replace the food you're buying that he eats.
  • fallenoaks37
    Options
    Put your stuff in your room? Or designate one cabinet in the kitchen for your stuff and padlock it?
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Take something he owns and that he loves, and flush it down the toilet or break it with a hammer.

Talking and being nice does not work. Maybe he'll get the message if you give him a taste of his own medicine.

I mean, he's not 5 years-old, and unless he is "intellectually challenged", he totally understands that stealing is wrong.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Pat yourself on the back for being a good role-model to your Brother.
    And then this:
    CupcakeCrusoe wrote "Or, if you wanted to be less shady, you could ask your parents to buy more of whatever of yours your brother is eating, or just ask your parents to replace the food you're buying that he eats.
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Lick ALL of your stuff in front of him before putting it in the fridge >=)
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Failing all of that knee him in the nuts every time some food goes missing :-)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    abelcat1 wrote: »
    And then this:
    CupcakeCrusoe wrote "Or, if you wanted to be less shady, you could ask your parents to buy more of whatever of yours your brother is eating, or just ask your parents to replace the food you're buying that he eats.

Exactly. A 13 year old is eating fruit. I know you're not his parent but think of all the other things a growing teenager could be doing and consider once again that he's choosing fruit, either instead of, or in addition to his other food

Start billing his parents LOL and if possible please buy more fruit for the both of yourselves. That doesn't work it may be time to start locking them up somewhere. Some fruit does keep outside of the fridge for at least a few days at a time

And you know what, this person was gonna show up anyway, so I'm gonna help them make an early appearance: You CAN snack on some of that other stuff if you want. Just make room for it in your diet. Some of us have to eliminate foods for a while if we can't stop at just one or two, but if you don't have that or any other issues, any food can be incorporated into a healthy diet :)
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am also thinking that your brother may actually enjoy your snacks better than what is available in the pantry. Have you asked your parents to shop differently, so he could have the snacks he wants without stealing yours ?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why dont you just tell your mom to buy fruits and veggies for him?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My sensible rational answer is to keep as much as possible in your room. Fruit etc. as long as it's not really warm or in direct sunlight will definitely keep for a few days. I think sometimes teenagers are not brilliant at seeing things from the other person's point of view, so rather than keep having the same conversation, keeping it out of sight might just be easier.

My immature answer (probably closer to what I would do to my 13-year old brother, so I feel your pain here) would be for every time he takes something of yours, a video game/comic book/1 football boot/TV remote goes missing. Use your imagination.
  • SuperGalSam
    SuperGalSam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am also thinking that your brother may actually enjoy your snacks better than what is available in the pantry. Have you asked your parents to shop differently, so he could have the snacks he wants without stealing yours ?

I'm not sure about that, but I know he eats everything out of the pantry and then all my stuff. He just seems to eat constantly. I don't think it's a personal thing at me, he just eats and eats. Yet still manages to maintain a 13 year old 6pac! I'm probably just jealous that I can't eat that much and still maintain a great body! haha
    but I'll try this, thank you for your input :)
  • SuperGalSam
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    My sensible rational answer is to keep as much as possible in your room. Fruit etc. as long as it's not really warm or in direct sunlight will definitely keep for a few days. I think sometimes teenagers are not brilliant at seeing things from the other person's point of view, so rather than keep having the same conversation, keeping it out of sight might just be easier.

My immature answer (probably closer to what I would do to my 13-year old brother, so I feel your pain here) would be for every time he takes something of yours, a video game/comic book/1 football boot/TV remote goes missing. Use your imagination.

Yeah, I'm thinking that is going to have to be the case, which is sad :(
    and haha! I wish I could, I'd feel guilty as heck if I did that! But if he carries on I may have to kick my guilt up the butt and just do it >:D
  • SuperGalSam
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    abelcat1 wrote: »
    And then this:

Exactly. A 13 year old is eating fruit. I know you're not his parent but think of all the other things a growing teenager could be doing and consider once again that he's choosing fruit, either instead of, or in addition to his other food

Start billing his parents LOL and if possible please buy more fruit for the both of yourselves. That doesn't work it may be time to start locking them up somewhere. Some fruit does keep outside of the fridge for at least a few days at a time

And you know what, this person was gonna show up anyway, so I'm gonna help them make an early appearance: You CAN snack on some of that other stuff if you want. Just make room for it in your diet. Some of us have to eliminate foods for a while if we can't stop at just one or two, but if you don't have that or any other issues, any food can be incorporated into a healthy diet :)

Thank you for this :)
    And, I definitely have that issue. I have 0 willpower so I've limited myself to only allowing myself one small chocolate bar or junkie food a week until I can get it under control! :) but thank you again.
  • SuperGalSam
    Options
    Also thank you for everybody elses replies! :) I'll keep it all in mind. I'll try talking to my parents again...

I just finished this conversation with him
    Me; It's really important to me that you don't eat my stuff. I'm really trying to lose weight and I can't do that if I only have crap stuff to eat.
    Him; You wont ever be able to lose weight!

Thanks for the confidence, bro!

But anyways! Thanks again guys! :D
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Also thank you for everybody elses replies! :) I'll keep it all in mind. I'll try talking to my parents again...

Me; It's really important to me that you don't eat my stuff. I'm really trying to lose weight and I can't do that if I only have crap stuff to eat.

I believe you were told to knee him in the nuts? What happened to that, hmmm??

• SuperGalSam
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I believe you were told to knee him in the nuts? What happened to that, hmmm??

Let me just go find my boots! :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Siblings eating your food?

Boobytrap it. Spike some with epicac, and others with maalox.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    He's a 13 y.o. boy...he will eat everything in the house. That's what they do. I've raised 3 of them and have the grocery debt to prove it. Your options are to find your own place to live, ask your parents to replace it (tough one if you already get free room and board), subtract the $$$ from the room and board you pay your parents if paying, or hide it.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I've just started trying to eat healthier, I live with my parents and have siblings in the house. I've been buying myself healthy snacks to snack on (such as fruit, nuts etc...) but I'm having the problem of my 13 year old brother eating all my stuff?
    We have family food in the cupboards, but it's all crisps, chocolate, biscuits etc... Which he is welcome to eat(I can't snack on these, obviously.) yet he still seems to thinks it's okay to eat my stuff? I don't mind him taking the odd apple, grapes etc... But he can't just do that. If he starts eating grapes, he'll eat the lot. If he has an apple, he'll have to have 3. I can't afford to keep buying myself this stuff if he's going to eat it all! :(

Now, I've tried sitting him down and asking him politely and he says he won't eat it...And then within the next hour he's eating it again! I've asked my parents to ask him, yet he still won't listen.

I would be happy if my brother would prefer apple over chips.I would even share with him if he ever wanted.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

If your brother is eating your apples and grapes, clearly he enjoys fruit.

Maybe just maybe your parents should purchase some for him to eat.

It's not YOUR job to provide fruit and vegetables for your sibling.