Side Dish Help

Options
jlzrdking
jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
I need some ideas for side dishes that I can make quickly.

I've been eating a lot of baked potatoes and I'm getting tired of them.

Here is where it gets difficult and I promise I am trying new things but I do not like:

Onions
Peppers
Squash
Cucumber

And many other vegetables but like I said i'm working on this and trying new things, there are things I eat now that I wouldn't even try a few years ago.

I like beans but the sodium in canned beans is so high I tend to not have them, I know it's better to buy dried beans and soak them and etc..... But I do not have a lot of time either.

There has to be some obvious things I'm overlooking.

Thanks

Replies

• mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can do mixed veggies in the stove to "roast" them... I do broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower and add some seasoning...but you can mix together whatever veggies you like and season how you want!
  • cmoran1086
    cmoran1086 Posts: 2
    Options
    wedge zucchini then sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper (to taste), and parmesan cheese(about 1-2 TBSP) (shredded not that fake imitation stuff u put on spaghetti) broil for 8 minutes on high :wink:
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce
    saute spinach with a little alfredo sauce on it
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    These are my four main vegetable staples.

Fresh green beans...just boil it and it's done.
    Asparagus-- roast in the oven or grill it
    Broccoli--steamed or boiled
    spinach
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do you like sweet potatoes? I had one last night, cut into cubes and tossed with a little olive oil and cajun spice, then baked in the oven on a cookie sheet like you would frozen fries. It was a nice change!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    beans...and your time comment
    buy the dried beans...soak them in water over night...then put them in a crock pot on low while you are at work
    ready when you get home...time needed: about 5 minutes to wash and 5 minutes to put them in crock pot
  • iq5203
    iq5203 Posts: 17
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    As far as sides, I LOVE Uncle Ben's Broccoli au gratin rice. I know rice isn't great, but I manage my food to compensate for some things that are just really good. Also, Paula Deens veggies that come in a bag. Put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and they're done. And they are DAMN good!!! Never frozen so they really do taste fresh. Hope this helps.
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    i know you said you don't like squash but this really changes the flavor of it. you could also replace the squash with cucumbers and okra. i like to cut a potatoe, a yellow squash, and a zuccini squash in quarters....spice it with salt and pepper, add about 2 tablespoon off olive oil, brown it then add about 2 cups of water, when all the water boils out it is cooked through. it's hard for me to get my husband and daughter to eat veggies...they both like this:)
  • jlzrdking
    Options
    Do you like sweet potatoes? I had one last night, cut into cubes and tossed with a little olive oil and cajun spice, then baked in the oven on a cookie sheet like you would frozen fries. It was a nice change!

This sounds promising
  • jlzrdking
    Options
    As far as sides, I LOVE Uncle Ben's Broccoli au gratin rice. I know rice isn't great, but I manage my food to compensate for some things that are just really good. Also, Paula Deens veggies that come in a bag. Put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and they're done. And they are DAMN good!!! Never frozen so they really do taste fresh. Hope this helps.

I will def check out some of the frozen vegetables the next time i'm grocery shopping.

Broccoli is one of the things I've recently started kind of eating, but it's usually covered in soy sauce with the take out Chinese food I can no longer eat.
  • jlzrdking
    Options
    beans...and your time comment
    buy the dried beans...soak them in water over night...then put them in a crock pot on low while you are at work
    ready when you get home...time needed: about 5 minutes to wash and 5 minutes to put them in crock pot

After washing and soaking do you season beans with anything??

I actually bought a bag of dried black beans but I have no idea what to do with them.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of frozen veggies which are low in sodium. All you do is dump them in a pot, add seasoning and boil the crap out of them until they are tender. You said you do not like onions. Is it that you do not like to actaully eat them or you do not like the flavor. I do not like to eat them but LOVE the flavor. One of our favorite sides at home is carrots and onions. You can use either baby carrots or whole carrots cut up. I put in a glass dish 4 or 5 chopped carrots, 1 chopped onion, salt, pepper and 1 tbls of butter. Put then in the oven on about 425 covered with foil. I like mine pretty tender so you determine the doneness. But about 10 min before I take them out, I take off the foil and let them caramelize. OMG, amazing. I just eat the carrots but the onions give them such good flavor.

Sweet potatoes are awesome right now, grilled fresh green beans (YUM!!), grilled fresh corn on the cob, steamed zichini (sp) is awesome with a tab bit of butter and salt and pepper. I'll think of more and come back.

What about just a good ol' salad??

You can roast your potatoes for a different flovor and texture. I add 2 tbs of fat free ranch, salt, pepper and 2 tsp of parm cheese and throw them in the oven. YUMMY!
  • slenderncat41
    Options
    I love the convenience of frozen veggies. Schwans has a delicious bag of "California Blend" vegetables which consists of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Pretty simple, but very fresh tasting! It comes in a reclosable ziplock bag, so you can dish out just how much you want and then pop the rest back into the freezer. Micro them and you've got a tasty, healthy side dish in no time. I like keeping one on hand and at the ready! I'm sure there are other fresh tasting brands and varieties out there to try also. =)
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I love steamed broccoli with lemon, sauteed green beans and roasted asparagus.

I'm going to have to try the sweet potatoes someone else suggested. They sound yummy.
  • jlzrdking
    Options
    I buy a lot of frozen veggies which are low in sodium. All you do is dump them in a pot, add seasoning and boil the crap out of them until they are tender. You said you do not like onions. Is it that you do not like to actaully eat them or you do not like the flavor. I do not like to eat them but LOVE the flavor. One of our favorite sides at home is carrots and onions. You can use either baby carrots or whole carrots cut up. I put in a glass dish 4 or 5 chopped carrots, 1 chopped onion, salt, pepper and 1 tbls of butter. Put then in the oven on about 425 covered with foil. I like mine pretty tender so you determine the doneness. But about 10 min before I take them out, I take off the foil and let them caramelize. OMG, amazing. I just eat the carrots but the onions give them such good flavor.

Sweet potatoes are awesome right now, grilled fresh green beans (YUM!!), grilled fresh corn on the cob, steamed zichini (sp) is awesome with a tab bit of butter and salt and pepper. I'll think of more and come back.

What about just a good ol' salad??

You can roast your potatoes for a different flovor and texture. I add 2 tbs of fat free ranch, salt, pepper and 2 tsp of parm cheese and throw them in the oven. YUMMY!

OK this may be a silly question but you take just a plain potato and dice it add all the ingredients and then roast in the over?

How much time does this take to roast?

I sometimes put things in the oven that take a while to cook and go to the gym.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Steamer vegetables. Those things are awesome, just pop them in the microwave and wa la its food! I like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, corn....get some I can't believe its not butter spray and its all very yummy.

Also, taking 1 day to make beans really is worth the time. Soaking them takes 2 minutes, 1 to fill up the bowl and another to dump the bags of beans in it...then you just walk away and do what you need to do till the next day. Then its the same thing, only now your dumping beans and water into a crock pot (only like $20-30 at walmart if you dont have one, and sooo worth it...you can make many easy meals in it)...only takes a few minutes then you leave until the next day.

The only time consuming part is actually mashing them up into refried beans, but then you can freeze for later. I make 8 (1lb) servings each time I make beans, and that usually lasts my family 2 months (we have bean tacos or tostadas at least once a week).

Look at your schedule and find out when you have the most time, and that is when its great to prepare meals in advance. Mine is Sunday or Monday night. I can pre make salads for quick grab and go, or make beans...I've even pre-made french fries, so I could just pull the baggy out of the freezer and throw them in the oven during the rest of the week when I'm busy.

If you ever decide to go for, I have some steps on my blog or topics for the beans and for baked french fries if you haven't tried them yet.

Fries - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/183988-baked-fries-prep-freeze-too-pics

Beans - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/NeuroticVirgo/view/refried-beans-cheap-low-calorie-low-sodium-freezer-friendly-88785
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Buy canned beans with no added salt.
    Try couscous.
  • jlzrdking
    Options
    Steamer vegetables. Those things are awesome, just pop them in the microwave and wa la its food! I like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, corn....get some I can't believe its not butter spray and its all very yummy.

Also, taking 1 day to make beans really is worth the time. Soaking them takes 2 minutes, 1 to fill up the bowl and another to dump the bags of beans in it...then you just walk away and do what you need to do till the next day. Then its the same thing, only now your dumping beans and water into a crock pot (only like $20-30 at walmart if you dont have one, and sooo worth it...you can make many easy meals in it)...only takes a few minutes then you leave until the next day.

The only time consuming part is actually mashing them up into refried beans, but then you can freeze for later. I make 8 (1lb) servings each time I make beans, and that usually lasts my family 2 months (we have bean tacos or tostadas at least once a week).

Look at your schedule and find out when you have the most time, and that is when its great to prepare meals in advance. Mine is Sunday or Monday night. I can pre make salads for quick grab and go, or make beans...I've even pre-made french fries, so I could just pull the baggy out of the freezer and throw them in the oven during the rest of the week when I'm busy.

If you ever decide to go for, I have some steps on my blog or topics for the beans and for baked french fries if you haven't tried them yet.

Fries - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/183988-baked-fries-prep-freeze-too-pics

Beans - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/NeuroticVirgo/view/refried-beans-cheap-low-calorie-low-sodium-freezer-friendly-88785

Cool Beans.... sorry about that

I always thought taking the dry beans and making something with them was a big time consuming deal and now I know better.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Black bean and corn salad - just toss with leafy greens, lime juice and some tomato!

Roasted Potatoes - i usually mix white and sweet potato chunks, tossed in olive oil, sea salt and black pepper

Grilled Asparagus - drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle with ginger before grilling

Healthier Deviled Eggs - ditch the yolk all together and pipe some roasted red pepper hummus into the egg white

Grilled Corn on the Cob - soak shucked corn in cold water for 30 min, spay with Pam, drizzle with lime juice, salt and pepper, wrap in
    foil and grill