Crappy moment today

Options
Today a patient told me to "lose weight before it's too late." And I'll be honest...it made me cry. I'm not proud of that. It's the first time EVER that a stranger made a comment about my weight. I'm 5'3" and I weigh 165 pounds. I know I'm not exactly at a healthy weight, but I'm not overly obese. Anyway, I was really glad that I weighed myself this morning, because I've lost a total of 4.5 pounds over the last 2 weeks. So that guy can suck it.

Replies

• azneee
    azneee Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't practice yoga but I love the quote "stay on your own mat", meaning focus on doing your own best and don't judge others. That's fitting advice for that yahoo who made you cry (I'm so sorry, I'm sure those words hit a sensitive spot. Like when my nephew asked me "are you growing a beard?" Yeah. I'm a 40-year-old woman who still wonders why no one told me that my chin would someday betray me by sprouting these damn hairs!!!) Anyway, 4.5 lb. in 2 weeks is AWESOME and I'm sure you've got gorgeous curves. You just rock your awesome self and that patient can STUFF IT!!!
  • fubsyfern
    fubsyfern Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Thanks for your kind words. I'm feeling much better today. It's just crazy how the opinion of someone who doesn't even matter can knock you down like that. But I'm proud to say that no impulsive eating took place, and I even worked out this morning after my workout buddy cancelled.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    That's the way, fubsyfern!!! My workout buddy has pooped out on my the past three days in a row and there I was - doing what needed to be done. I'm proud of you. I've had strangers say terrible things to me as well - I know how it hurts. Aren't you glad we are better than those insensitive A _ _ HOLES?!!!!! Keep up the good work. :)
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful that you are working out!! Working out is one of the best things you can do for yourself, for your physical, mental and emotional well being! As for the comment from the patient - don't take it negatively. Find a positive in those words uttered, and move on. Which you have done already - moved on
  • Coonsmom
    Coonsmom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Folks without the weight issue can sometimes be very critical. I'm sure it was well-intended but you know what? The patient had no right to voice her opinion like that! So sorry your feelings were hurt but so glad you're doing so well. Hang tough Cookie!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply and sorry that the patient's words had such a negative impact on you.....

I'm wondering if their comment was more about projecting their worries/issues on to you. I don't know why they needed care but maybe their eating/lifestyle/weight is at least a part of the medical issue that they are dealing with so they vocalise inner thoughts about "making changes before it's too late", all the while thinking that they wish they had done the same.

I'm glad you have moved on now and doing such a great job with working out and enjoying life....

All the best.
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had to deal with that. You're awesome for keeping on track while having a bad day.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Use it as motivation! Success is the best revenge. Congrats on your loss. You will look back on that comment and laugh (not cry). I had someone make a not-so-nice comment to me back in September (right before I started my weight loss) and I put it on my "mental" bulletin board and remember that every time I work out or eat right or see myself shrinking. I'm actually glad I got the comment. It was one of the contributing factors to my "waking up" and deciding to lose a bunch of weight I had gained.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I saw one of my first bosses for the first time in 10 years...right after I had given birth to #3. He slapped me on the arm and said "You really packed on a lot of pounds, heh?!" Then laughed as if he were funny.

I was quite offended and hurt.
  • MissNikki320
    MissNikki320 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've learned there is no filter for stupidity and there is often an abundance of it. Comments like that hurt.....I've experienced them myself. Keep your head up! Sounds like you are doing a great job and never ever let people and their stupidity break you!