lower belly "pooch"

Options
Hi everyone! I wanted to get some opinions on that dreaded lower belly "pooch" that plagues some of us--you know what I'm talking about! :) --that lower area below the navel that just doesn't EVER want to firm up! When I am taking my measurements, what exactly IS that?! Should I just call it lower waist? It's not hips, and it's not waist...hmmm.
This has always been a "problem area" for me and I would really like to start measuring with my weight loss so I can really keep track of my progress.
On a side note, I have ordered beachbody's rev abs program which I'm hoping will help. Anyone that has the program or is interested in doing it with me, let me know and we can do it together!

Replies

• propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    FUPA

Acronym for "Fat Upper Pubic Area"; Describes the small area of fatty tissue that covers a woman's pubis bone. Not to be confused with a "flap" an obese person's (man's or woman's) hanging stomach fat that sometimes hangs low enough to obscure the genitals. FUPA size is typically unrelated to overall body fat percentage.
  • jen_bersabal
    Options
    FUPA

Acronym for "Fat Upper Pubic Area"; Describes the small area of fatty tissue that covers a woman's pubis bone. Not to be confused with a "flap" an obese person's (man's or woman's) hanging stomach fat that sometimes hangs low enough to obscure the genitals. FUPA size is typically unrelated to overall body fat percentage.

Wow, I've never heard that! Thanks!
  • pearlof69
    pearlof69 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    FUPA

I so want to get rid of my FUPA
  • Phatpatty
    Phatpatty Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    FUPA

I am not sure i would refer to it as that... doesn't sound so hot...and as far as a "flap" yes most common in obese people..however I never got the "pooch" until after two c-sections.... there r a few exercises that target your lower abs... such as laying on your back starting with your legs abt 6 inches of the ground bring them up and continue to do this about 12 times 3 reps.... (remember to use your abs, if you don't you will hurt your back)
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't if she is referring to the fupa. I think she is talking about the lower abs area above where the fupa would form. She's talking about the area just below the belly button and above the pubic area.

I hear it's all about water, lower ab exercise, and over cardio to get rid of it. There may alwasy be a small one. Posture is important too. It could be there due to poor posture (sitting at a desk all day) and damage to the lower ab muscles.
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My ob said a good deal of it is genetics. Even when I weighed 94lbs and was super fit - years before I had kids - I had a poochy lower belly. And for some - the only way to get rid of it is with a tummy tuck. Have you ever watched hte Dr 90210? Most of those women getting tummy tucks are incredibly fit, buff, and work with personal trainers. Not saying this applies to everyone - and you should definitely work at improving it as much as possible - but for some women nothing they can do short of surgery to tighten/shore up that internal girdle of muscle will take care of that problem area.
  • misslys9304
    misslys9304 Posts: 17
    Options
    FUPA

hahaha omg that's funny :)
  • jen_bersabal
    Options
    I've learned that I have lordosis (swayback) and I think this also contributes to this. Thanks everybody!
  • jen_bersabal
    Options
    FUPA

I so want to get rid of my FUPA

ME TOO!!!
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have an "overhang" or flap - I have had it for way to long, and having had two c/sections I know it is going to be very difficult
    to get rid of it.
    I measure "it" seperately - I do hips under it, and it doesn't effect the waist measurement. It has a huge effect on what size trousers I can wear. I have lost 7" off of it, so I can now fit into a uk size 18, If I didn't have it I could probabbly get into a 16.