Looking for advice from other diabetics/former diabetics

Options
Hi All,
I'm looking for other diabetics/former diabetics that I can friend on MFP in order to share diary info and help each other out. Feel free to send me a friend request.

I'm currently 5-6 months into this journey and about 60 lbs down and am interested in friends who understand the ins and outs of blood sugar and eating to help improve diabetic health.

Thanks all

Replies

• cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a "former diabetic". There are, however, diabetics who keep their blood sugar under excellent control... but they're still diabetics.

There's a MFP support group for Type 2 diabetics here... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

ps: Good job on the weight loss!
  • kissme1031
    Options
    I'm not a diabetic myself however I do have 9 diabetics in my family so I do pay attention to what I eat and I would love to know how you lost 60 pounds that is awesome.
  • LilyPearl0560
    LilyPearl0560 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed diabetic. My doctor has not gone over nutrition with me yet so I am just going through this blind. I am trying to cut out all sweets and I watch my carbs but I do not know if I can go through my entire life not eating sweets.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,947 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed diabetic. My doctor has not gone over nutrition with me yet so I am just going through this blind. I am trying to cut out all sweets and I watch my carbs but I do not know if I can go through my entire life not eating sweets.
    We all make choices, just some better than others. Blood sugar is your enemy if you have diabetes so take it from there.

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

You can still eat sweets as a diabetic though. All it means is that you need to use portion control and make sure that the sweets fit in your carb allotment for that meal/snack (ALL carbs excluding dietary fiber and sugar alcohols are broken down into glucose and can increase BG levels). I personally really like the Atkins chocolate candies (1g of net carbs), a cup of no sugar added vanilla ice cream (16g of net carbs, I believe), or a single chocolate chip cookie (the ones I use are 16g of net carbs).

Until you see your doctor, the American Diabetes Association has some nutrition recommendations that you can use as a starting off point. Though you might find that you can eat more or fewer carbs (you will need to determine this by testing your BG before and 1-2 hours after a meal), the ADA recommends consuming 45-60g of carbs per meal and 15-20g per snack and places an emphasis on consuming non-starchy vegetables, lean protein, fruits, and unsaturated fats while being aware of starchy food portions, saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium.

To the OP, I am a type 1 diabetic who was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. I ended up losing about 60 pounds from the undiagnosed diabetes, gained 20 of it back within two months of starting insulin therapy, and have lost an additional 30 pounds over the past year using MFP (I am now about 10 pounds lower than my diagnosis weight). I have also been using MFP to track how different foods affect my BG levels, and the website has ended up helping me stay in the elusive "5% club" for the past year.