Different things to do with protein powder?

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
I'm not looking for recipes that use two scoops for the entire large recipe, I'm looking for suggestions that still give you the whole protein serving all at once. For example, I'm going to get some Greek yogurt tomorrow and I'm going to mix the two scoops into that for breakfast.

Can anyone suggest similar simple, full protein snacks using powder? The quicker and least amount of work the better (like the yogurt, just mix and go).

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Vanilla goes well with most cold cereals and oatmeal. You can also mix it with strawberry Quik with milk in a good shaker bottle.

Chocolate can be mixed with peanut butter and cocoa powder.

I'd suggest one scoop at a time though - two can be pretty overwhelming if you're trying to mix it with something else.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Vanilla goes well with most cold cereals and oatmeal. You can also mix it with strawberry Quik with milk in a good shaker bottle.

Chocolate can be mixed with peanut butter and cocoa powder.

I'd suggest one scoop at a time though - two can be pretty overwhelming if you're trying to mix it with something else.

The powder I use has a smaller scoop than I usually see and its serving size is two, but I agree, I'll try one at first.

I have tried it with oatmeal and I do like that! The strawberry Quik sounds great as well. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter idea is great.
    I defrosted a package of 12 ounces of frozen blueberries overnight and added one serving of chocolate protein powder. It was tolerable.
    One could add protein powder to cottage cheese, pudding, left over mashed potatoes, coffee, hot chocolate.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Add in a little hot chocolate powder (although if it's already milk chocolate flavour I imagine it'd be fine), mix with a bit of cold water to get the consistency right and then top up with (not boiling) hot water - you just made hot chocolate made up almost entirely from protein (add in a bit of milk too to make it creamier, makes a big difference imo). It takes about the same effort as making it with cold water as standard but it tastes way nicer.
  • feisty_bucket
    Options
    To elaborate a little more on chocolate + peanut butter. I call it "chocolate goop" and I have it every morning. You get protein and fat and real chocolate which studies are showing some interesting brain-bloodflow effects with. Should be more effective than messing around trying to justify dark chocolate bars as "healthy" while using up a bunch of your calories.

Get a bowl. Put in a scoop of chocolate protein powder. A big glob of peanut butter (over-heaping tablespoon size). Three tablespoons of baking cocoa (Hershey's or Nestle). Two packets of sweetener to offset the bitterness. Once that's in there, you'll need to add in six or seven tablespoons of water. Then stir it carefully (or this powder will fly everywhere!) until it's an even consistency.

The amount of water is the trickiest bit. Too much and it's like cake batter, too little and you've got chalk.

It took a long time to figure this out but I'm really happy with it. If your protein powder is good to start with (they're all different), it should be pretty great.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes, protein smoothie, oatmeal + protein + fruit... unless your scoops are small you're going to need a fair bit of oatmeal or yogurt to make consuming 2 scoops tolerable.

@feisty_bucket is that like pudding then almost? IT sounds interesting.. And going off of that you could also make protein PB cookies, but that will likely yield 2 large servings and not one. I've used recipes from fitnesstreats.com

oh and The PRotein Chef on YT is worth checking out.
  • feisty_bucket
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    is that like pudding then almost? IT sounds interesting.. And going off of that you could also make protein PB cookies

Yeah, pudding. I just like the word "goop", ha.

I've tried heating protein powder but that hasn't worked out so well for me so I stick with "cold" uses.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Ooh, here's one I've wanted to try, but haven't had a chance yet.

Blend up peanut butter "flour" with protein powder, and milk or water. Add 2gr of gelatin per 500ml of liquid, melt in gelatin and mix well.

Strain into a pouring vessel, then pour into a whipped cream siphon, straining once more. Inject one capsule of nitrous, shake 4 or 5 times, and then chill for 2+ hours in the fridge. Use as a replacement for whipped cream. This should maintain a fairly stable structure. You could also pipe florettes into a dehydrator and make eggless meringues.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    is that like pudding then almost? IT sounds interesting.. And going off of that you could also make protein PB cookies

Yeah, pudding. I just like the word "goop", ha.

I've tried heating protein powder but that hasn't worked out so well for me so I stick with "cold" uses.

the key is to make sure there is enough liquid/moisture and to lower the temperature a bit. E.g. for protein pancakes I keep my stove on low-medium heat (4, goes all the way up to about 10) and might lower it even a bit more for the last 1-2 pancakes (heat on 2). For baking i will put it like... idk, 20degrees lower. Jus tplaying around with it helps.
  • ana3067
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Ooh, here's one I've wanted to try, but haven't had a chance yet.

Blend up peanut butter "flour" with protein powder, and milk or water. Add 2gr of gelatin per 500ml of liquid, melt in gelatin and mix well.

Strain into a pouring vessel, then pour into a whipped cream siphon, straining once more. Inject one capsule of nitrous, shake 4 or 5 times, and then chill for 2+ hours in the fridge. Use as a replacement for whipped cream. This should maintain a fairly stable structure. You could also pipe florettes into a dehydrator and make eggless meringues.

This sounds way too labour-intensive. Just stuff it all in my mouth.