What does your workout look like?

Options
If you have a lot of weight to lose, what does your workout look like? What are the things you do that really help you see the pounds come off?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Strength training. If you've never done it, be sure and work with a trainer to learn good form and help prevent injury. I also do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) for cardio.

I wear a fitness tracker (BodyMedia armband) 24/7 and a HRM (heart rate monitor) when I work out.

Anything will help--walking on a treadmill, elliptical ... I have a standing desk at work.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Agree with above post, strength training is the most important thing if your number one priority is looking good. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, this is most easily attained with a combination of cardio and your diet, but mostly your diet.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Fork down and lift heavy things.
  • ZOMGPB
    Options
    My workout looks like my fats dying!
  • ltgrod
    Options
    Good balance of cardio/strength training. One day on next switch. AND DEF Rest BETWEEN1-2 days. I try adding something new each month. A dance class, martial arts boxing. This month I've begun crossfit love it. I found a great box ( gym) with knowledgeable coaches. Luck!!! Just keep it moving
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't care much for lifting, find it hard to get into.

My workout routine consists of loads of Les Mills group training - here is my schedule pretty much every week:

Monday - Body Jam 55 mins (fitness dance class)
    Tuesday - Body Pump 55 mins (light to moderate weight lifting)
    Friday - Body Jam 55 mins
    Saturday - Body Pump 55 mins AM, Body Jam 55 mins PM
    Sunday - Sh'bam (dance) 45 mins followed by Body Balance (mix of yoga, pilates and tai chi) for 55 mins

I have found adding the Body Pump into my routine has helped boost weight loss, for obvious reasons.
  • dinger09
    Options
    Above post is what my wife done the last year and results are amazing only thing is she does spin class as well. really impressed with it only supplement she taking is creatine gives a boost for the high intensity exercises she does.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Isn't Body Pump lifting, though, Honky?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This
    passed-out-crossfit.png
    With fewer abs
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    For me...from couch potato straight to personal trainer 2x 1 hour gym sessions a week

Then incorporated much more daily walking, logged by fitbit

Then moved to 2 45 min sessions without PT, 1 60 min with PT per week (plus 20 min cardio before) plus walking

Gym sessions involve 20 mins cardio plus progressive weight training plus series of squats, lunges, press-ups, rows, squats, jump-ups, failing to achieve anything like chin-ups/pull-ups, lat pull-downs, negatives, more squats, dips, squats and squats

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Isn't Body Pump lifting, though, Honky?

Yep absolutely which is why I added it in but it's in a group setting with an instructor so I feel more motivated in the class than just sort of hanging out in the weights room lifting. I guess I more meant the lifting that people do with heavy weights at the gym. I am sure I am just doing it wrong but still.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    My works outs are either the gym or kickboxing

The gym involves 20 mins cardio, eliptical, treadmill etc, then strength exercises including pinloaded machines and free weights, squats. depends on the day but bicep curls, assisted pull ups, leg press, weighted squats etc.

Kickboxing is normally a bunch of skipping, pushups, sit ups, burpees with kicking, punching, grappling, etc. sometimes is a circuit that involves what i just mentioned an more like box jumps, slam balls etc
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    After I lost my weight, I finally fulfilled my dream and did my first triathlon. Trained a year for it, built it up very carefullyand became stronger, lighter and faster gradually. I started walking everywhere and only started running when I lost my first 10 kgs. This transition was very gradual. Eventually I got to the point where I ran about 40 kilometers per week. However, just before the triathlon I increased my mileage by about 50% for a few weeks (so to about 60 kilometers), a foolish move, which led to a weak spot developing in my lower leg. Fortunately, I could succesfully do the triathlon after a week-long break. Quite painless. Unfortunately, I did not learn my lesson and started training enthusiastically again after the day of the triathlon. It didn't take long for the pain to come back and to become worse.

Well, that was 6 months ago. Tried several comebacks, but every time I went to quickly, resulting in the injury returning.

Since about 2 months I do swimming once a week and for six weeks now I started walking (more and more) again, the same way I started when I started training last time. I do this to built strength. Now I have come to the point where I am slowly adding a bit of running.

- Walking: about 5-13 km per day (in total about 40-50 kilometers per week). I walk to university, the market, the city center, to friends and through the forest and the fields. I do have a bike (actually, three) but only use it if I am in a hurry or for training.
    - Running 3 x 2 kilometers per week. Increasing distance 10% per week (so next week I'll run 3 x 2.2 kilometers).
    - Swimming once a week, increasing distance every time. Will start doing this twice a week soon.
    - Cycling once a week, for an hour. About 25 kilometers.
    - Fitness once per week, not really serious (yet). Weight lifting, bodyweight exercises and a bit of cardio.

So, it may seem like I do quite a lot already, but this is nothing compared to what I did before. I hope I can go back to that level (and better) this year. To do that I will keep listening to my body (more than to my schedule, skipping/stopping exercise if I feel pain) and keep building my routine very slowly (but steadily).
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    By the way, I started losing weight again. Lost about 5 lbs this month. I think the walking is causing most of this.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Monday - r.i.p.p.e.d (24 hour class with resistance, intervals, plyo, endurance etc. hard class)
    Tuesday - 30 bike, HITT, 20 treadmill
    Wednesday - Ripped again
    Thursday - ripped
    Fri- rest day or light gym
    Sat - ripped
    Sun - ripped lol
  • gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have 70lbs to lose. My week is like this
    Monday =body pump
    Tuesday =legs bums and tums
    Wednesday= body combat
    Thursday= body pump, body combat and Zumba
    Friday= nothing
    Saturday = pump and a spin class
    Sunday=nothing.

• pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My week tends to go like this, give and take things depending on what I have scheduled in socially and work-wise:

Monday: 70 mins of walking to and from work and in my lunch hour, then nothing
    Tuesday: 70 mins of walking, elliptical, Body Balance
    Wednesday: 70 mins of walking, elliptical, yoga
    Thursday: 70 mins of walking, some weeks I do elliptical, Pilates some weeks
    Friday: 70 mins of walking, nothing
    Saturday: Have just started occasionally doing Body Combat, elliptical, easy cycle/sometimes swim
    Sunday: Pilates, cycle/swim

I try and incorporate some lifting into that too but I'm not very good at being regular with this at the moment. Working on it!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My week goes like this-

Monday- 20 minute strength training arms, run 5 miles
    Tuesday-hour Zumba class (it's my guilty pleasure) and 1 mile doing sprints
    Wednesday 1 hour Zumba, 2 hour strenght training- whole body
    Thursday - 1 hour swimming
    Friday - 20 minute strength training - arms, run 5 miles
    Saturday and Sunday I usually rest sometimes I take a Zumba class or do an at home HIIT workout.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Weight lifting 3 times a week. Cardio on the other 2 days, which mostly consists of walking for an hour. I hate jogging.

Also, if I happen to be at the gym, my favourite machines are the elliptical and rowing machines. Weird I know. I just enjoy how they feel. But they are for fun, they don't burn many calories. (At least not for me.)

My calorie deficit is a combination of diet and exercise. Weight is coming off fine. :)
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If I had to describe how it looks, I would go with "sweaty beached whale aggressively struggling to go faster". :smile: