No fear of commitment here! Will lose 125+ lbs to live life more fully at 40!

Options

Replies

• lgb1
    lgb1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi everyone!! eml298's husband here, lgb1. I'm so thrilled and amazed that we have such an AWESOME group coming together! It's my sincerest hope that those of you that have posted here will continue to do so. This experience is honestly so much richer, so much more meaningful as we all engage with wellness together and help each other to battle with the various demons, or perhaps the "internal naysayer" that dwells within everyone of us. So please, stick around!

We'd also like to encourage you all to join eml298's group, "No fear of commitment here! Daily motivation toward living life more fully". The main advantage to participating in the group is that you can interact with some of the inspiring folks that have commented in this thread, and we can all start some discussion threads in that group to address much more specific concerns and interests.

In any event, I've been watching these amazing posts and have been meaning to write in to share my heartfelt congratulations with all of you. Do you know what a huge step it is just to say that you are ready to commit to a new way of life? It takes tremendous courage just to stop avoiding the issue, and to firmly step into the circle of renewal.

For those of you that are just starting, and have never embarked on this kind of journey before, keep in mind that this is not going to be like being tortured every day for months and years. It is hard in the beginning, but the worst is generally over in the first 3-5 weeks. I swear this to you. Whether diet or exercise (or both) is where you start, you will experience discomfort in the first few days. It will pass. The worst of it will pass, and much more quickly than you might imagine. And as in so many other walks of life, without the suffering that we initially experience in an endeavor like this, we cannot know the joy of being on the other side -- of achieving the goals we set for ourselves in this journey, like being more mobile, or being able to wear certain clothing, or being able to compete in athletic events, etc.

I wish all of you the very best this week, and I will look forward to more of this fantastic thread activity, and to chatting with you all again very soon! :smiley:
  • Colleens6677
    Colleens6677 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm good either way with public vs. private. Might be good to keep public for a while and then once you have your true core members you can make private if everyone wants. Since we are all trying to build relationships with each other to help support and motivate it might be good to be private down the road. Just a thought.
  • Novileigh
    Novileigh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    eml298 and lgb1 - its incredibly heartwarming to see that kind of support! I mostly have the "kind/helpful sabotage" in my life. The "I brought you a piece of buttered bread!" "Aren't you going to get a piece of cake?" Even though they know you're trying to be healthier.

I agree with Colleen - if you're happy with the number of active members now you could make it private, or you could wait a little while to get a few more, but close it before it gets overcrowded and too difficult to follow.

I think my daily goal is going to be honesty. I can start by going to that scale, weighing myself, and recording the numbers it gives me - not saying "well, its not that much more than the one I already have logged!" or making any other excuses, just honestly logging it. Then, I can honestly log my food - every bit of it, not the old "its just one piece of hard candy for my throat!" or "vegetables don't count, right?" ALL of it. And weighed out, too, not just eyeballed. And finally, exercise. I won't hook my fitbit to myfitnesspal, because it takes away some of my earned Achievemints if I do that, but I can be more accurate in how my fitbit is used. Sitting in a chair playing games DOES move your activity tracker, but it shouldn't count that as a step. I need to stop lying to myself, because it doesn't do me any good.
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I love all the support and encouragement on this thread! I just joined the group! I'm a story of slow and steady and you'll get there. @Novileigh‌ the best thing I ever did was start logging everything...good for you! It will make a big difference!
    Hope to gain some new friends in this group!
  • mrkerryh
    mrkerryh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Been off and on, committed now to doing this daily.
    Feel free to add me, looking for motivational, supportive friends. Have a lot to lose!
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hey guys... sorry I haven't posted in a few days. I thought I had favourited this thread and it just wasn't active... when it still hadn't shown up today in my notifications I went looking for it and had missed a couple pages! It's bookmarked now... :smiley: I also joined the group... Great idea!

I've been busy the past few days. I work at our salon on Fridays and Saturdays are catch up days at home. Our weekends are Sunday/Monday, so today is family day, my son is having a friend over, the hubs and I are pruning our plum trees. Can you believe the buds on one of the trees is about to open already?! Here on the Canadian west coast we've had an unseasonably warm winter with no snow and not as much rain, loads more rain. Crocus' and tulips are already up, a full month early! Crazy... NOT complaining, we've been watching the rest of the country "dig out" and have crazy low temps so feeling so fortunate to live here!

In the weight loss department... still working the plan. I'm like @eml298 in that I've set my cals at the high end to lose 1 lb/week at 1970 cals/day, and this week I've started trying to eat closer to 1500 cals/day. My biggest challenge right now is that my period is more than a week late. I have longer 35-37 day cycles anyway due to PCOS, but I'm on day 45 now, and the extended PMS is driving me mad. I'm hungry, cranky, tired, and bloated. (No, I'm not pregnant, tubes are tied). I've been pushing through and fitting activity in even though I just feel like taking a nap... Hoping TOM (time of month) shows up soon so I feel more like myself again...

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! :smiley:
  • tricia7673
    tricia7673 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Add me please!
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have lost 90 pounds since June of 2014. I agree @lgb1, it's not easy in the beginning but it does get easier. I started with sixty seconds on the elliptical and walking a 24 minute mile in the gym. Now I do half an hour on the elliptical and walk a 20 minute or less mile and do strength training too. Food is still my biggest challenge but like serveral people have mentioned above I log what I eat, even when it's not pretty. While I did not and do not have health issues I really am a hardcore believer that if I can do this anyone can. I wish everyone the best on their personal journeys. And remember weight is a rollercoaster, there are ups and downs, even when you are doing all of the right things, so don't let a small gain get you down.
  • luvforever
    Options
    Group suggestion, maybe create a sticky thread for intros and one for weekly or monthly for those comfortable with sharing?
  • luvforever
    Options
    I meant to say for weekly or monthly weigh ins.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im pretty much an open book (and since i dont use my real name LOL) i dont really care. i will say i am super good about logging into mfp and tracking and everything but the groups and all.... not always so if you dont see me its not cause im not here its just cauee im not HERE HERE. LOL

on fb im a lot better if yall ever take it in that direction (and would definitely say private group there just cause i dont want my family and friends to see all my posts ) LOLOL
  • scudderva
    scudderva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anyone in the group running? I have started C25K and it's tough. Maybe just need to give it a few weeks but I am starting to question my sanity
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    @callsitlikeisee it I permanently deleted my FB account last summer (too much drama and negativity), so my vote is to keep it here on MFP...

@scudderva I started a C25K a few years ago and LOVED it. Unfortunately at my weight it's just not a good idea for my body, but I'm really excited to revisit it when I'm lighter. I love that surge of endorphins I was getting, and don't get that from any other exercise I've ever done. Also, if you need to repeat weeks, give yourself that flexibility. It's a way to get more active, not a race...

@luvforever I like the idea of a thread for weigh ins, and there's a thread in the group where a couple of us have intro'd ourselves already, so jump in and share yours too. :smiley:

• eml298
    eml298 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi wonderful people! Had a fantastic and much needed day of downtime and relaxation. These days can be tough on diets, though. But despite thinking I might end up going over on calories, I was still able to stay "within budget"! Thanks to all of you for joining the thread, and for the continuing momentum and encouragement to each other! I will be back in here tomorrow in a bit more interactive fashion. Be well everyone!

QUESTION TO ALL FOR TONIGHT:
    What has been one of your nutritional victories so far? Please share with the group. :D
  • benean
    benean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a newbie at all this stuff and just joined the group, not too sure how I link myself to the conversations. But I am finally ready to lose weight after a long time of searching for that switch, I found it and it is turned on.! :smiley: I started at 166.7kg and am now 159.7kg after four weeks, have along way to go but love reading success stories for inspiration.
  • scudderva
    scudderva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nutritional victory: learning how to cook vegetables that taste good so I will eat em. Been interesting finding out I like things like asparagus and spinach. Momma didn't know how to cook it right and I have spend 30 years not eating vegetables.
  • gingee_13
    gingee_13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My nutritional victory is an ongoing one of learning to cook delicious low calorie meals for bot only myself, but also my picky family. We had success with chicken rolatini/ cordon bleu with a side of honey cinnamon carrots tonight!
  • Colleens6677
    Colleens6677 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My nutritional. Ictory was trying a veggie burger and loving it! I had such bad thoughts about eating vegetarian but I feel myself going more toward that trend and staying away from red meat. Though bacon may be too hard to give up completely. LOL
  • IslandSneezerooo
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My nutritional victory has been staying committed to staying under my calorie goals for more than a couple days. Also meal planning and food prepping.
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Probably the nutritional victory that has had the most impact on my life is not frying foods anymore. I love fried foods, all fried foods!