why eat back exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Be careful eating back calories if you are relying on MFP's estimates on how many calories you burn. If you have a relatively active count from a heart rate monitor, or bodybugg, or something similar that's one thing. But from an online calculator estimate it's another.

What I mean is, if you use MFP and just enter in 'jogging' and '45 minutes', the number it spits out may be wildly incorrect. If it's higher than what you actually burned, then you eat all those calories, you are not going to have your target deficit. Make sense?

Anyway, my thought on eating back calories is pretty simple. I'm not going to eat them all back, but I'll eat some of them back (or maybe even all of them) if I'm hungry. But, regardless of how many calories I've burned...if I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat....because doing so makes me feel like crap. That last part is really my final opinion on the subject, to be honest. Everyone is right, you already build in a calorie deficit so you dont actually HAVE to burn more than that....slow and steady wins the weight loss race. It just doesnt work for me if I'm not hungry.

edit: forgot to add. I wrestled from 5 years old until 25. Highschool, then college, then briefly after when I thought I was good enough to continue to the olympics in Greco (hah, I wasnt! Mike Foy was mean...). Anyway, back then I would stay @ around 178 lbs, and generally right around or less than 7% bodyfat. There's no way in hell I could have ever eaten all my exercise calories back if I'd have wanted to; but I'd have never wanted to because < 180 lbs is just NOT a natural weight for me. I did not train that hard just to get in shape, I trained that hard because I required that much of a calorie deficit to maintain and stay in a certain weight class. In college it was basically to stay out of heavyweight (this was before they added the 220lb class in folkstyle), in AAU it was to stay at 180.5. Then once the season was over I'd go right back to ~210 lbs for 4 or 5 months, then start cutting again to get down to the proper weight class.

Anyway, not saying thats right (its quite incorrect and incredibly unhealthy, I know)...but that's the mindset I have. Burn more calories to lose weight.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Be careful eating back calories if you are relying on MFP's estimates on how many calories you burn. If you have a relatively active count from a heart rate monitor, or bodybugg, or something similar that's one thing. But from an online calculator estimate it's another.

What I mean is, if you use MFP and just enter in 'jogging' and '45 minutes', the number it spits out may be wildly incorrect. If it's higher than what you actually burned, then you eat all those calories, you are not going to have your target deficit. Make sense?

Anyway, my thought on eating back calories is pretty simple. I'm not going to eat them all back, but I'll eat some of them back (or maybe even all of them) if I'm hungry. But, regardless of how many calories I've burned...if I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat....because doing so makes me feel like crap. That last part is really my final opinion on the subject, to be honest. Everyone is right, you already build in a calorie deficit so you dont actually HAVE to burn more than that....slow and steady wins the weight loss race. It just doesnt work for me if I'm not hungry.

edit: forgot to add. I wrestled from 5 years old until 25. Highschool, then college, then briefly after when I thought I was good enough to continue to the olympics in Greco (hah, I wasnt! Mike Foy was mean...). Anyway, back then I would stay @ around 178 lbs, and generally right around or less than 7% bodyfat. There's no way in hell I could have ever eaten all my exercise calories back if I'd have wanted to; but I'd have never wanted to because < 180 lbs is just NOT a natural weight for me. I did not train that hard just to get in shape, I trained that hard because I required that much of a calorie deficit to maintain and stay in a certain weight class. In college it was basically to stay out of heavyweight (this was before they added the 220lb class in folkstyle), in AAU it was to stay at 180.5. Then once the season was over I'd go right back to ~210 lbs for 4 or 5 months, then start cutting again to get down to the proper weight class.

Anyway, not saying thats right (its quite incorrect and incredibly unhealthy, I know)...but that's the mindset I have. Burn more calories to lose weight.

Professions or sports that require competitors to remain in a specific weight class are outside of the general guidelines of "the average person" wanting to lose weight for health benefits. Either way, you've acknowledged that "(its quite incorrect and incredibly unhealthy, I know)...but that's the mindset I have" ... so you've made the willing and informed decision to do what you feel benefits you. Which was my point. Do what you want, but don't make a decision without knowing the reality of the results that the choice entails.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    MFP said to eat 1200 calories. I up'd it to 1300 cause my trainer said I probably wasn't eating enough at 1200. So sounds like I should get my net calories to 1200.

If you were at 1200 and NOT eating your exercise calories, then he was right...you probably weren't eating enough. If you set your goal to 1200 and exercise 500 - so you eat 1700 - then yes, you would be eating enough. My daily calorie goal is 1200 and I eat every last exercise calorie I burn...and that includes cleaning and cooking calories burned! I have been consistently losing weight. You will probably be just fine staying at 1300 calories if it makes you feel more comfortable. It will just set your calorie deficit 100 calories less. This actually works better for some people. Try it out at 1300 for a month and then try it out at 1200 for a month and see what gives you better results. But I would recommend eating your exercise calories with both cal goals. The choice is obviously yours though. Best of luck to you.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ok. So, I have been on MFP Aug 29th of last year and in that time I have lost 36lbs, eating a base of 1200 and my exercise calories. I put it that way because it varies from day to day as to how many calories I burn.

But I have been on a horrid plateau for the last two months and I have not lost a dany ounce.....Granted I have not gained any weight, but hell I want to lose so much more. So I joined a gym and I have been working out with a trainer. He has adviced me to eat 1500 calories per day period and not to track calories burned or to eat them back. Under pressure from him and my spousal unit I am trying this for 2 weeks. I am almost one week in and I FEEL LIKE CRAP. I have NO energy. I am exhausted. I can't focus.

And yes purhaps I will lose weight as my body is probably eating away at its fat stores, but hell I would rather live in a plateau state then live like this. Damn I feel horrible.

Maybe you should up your calories to 1400 or 1500 AND eat your exercise calories. ??? I know a lot of people that started eating more and then jump started their loss again. If you're feeling like crap then it's not right for you. Especially if you were feeling good before while you were eating your exercise calories.
  • l3ugjuice
    Options
    Do what you want, but don't make a decision without knowing the reality of the results that the choice entails.

I'll agree with that.

Of course, I dont think it's really a BAD thing to not eat your exercise calories back as an end-sum, yes-no answer. So no, I dont think that's incredibly unhealthy. I was really referring to the diet I had in season: which was basically all liquid and suppliments combined with 6-8 hours per day...every day...of pretty strenuous training. Surprised I didnt kill myself. Heck, back then it wasnt even illegal (meaning intercollegiate rules and similar) to do thinks like, say, wrap your body in saran wrap, then 5 layers of sweats, turn on the showers and go jump rope in the steam for an hour to drop 5 pounds of water weight before you weigh in.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My nutrionist said that if you want to keep the weight you are now you eat back your exercise calories, but if your trying to lose you dont eat them back.. another thing no matter how much strength training or walking you , if you dont add cardio you wont lose as much weight..

Wrong, this only makes sense if you are eating maintenance calories. MFP gives you a deficit to lose your goal amount of weight, in order to lose that goal amount you MUST eat your exercise calories. It is all based on math by giving you a caloric deficit that will achieve your goal.

Not eating them may lead you to burn muscle, instead of fat, for fuel. Your metabolism may slow down, lack of energy as the more you workout the more fuel you need.

Think of a car. sitting in the driveway you don't burn much (evaporation) going slow burns less gas/km than going fast (think of this as normal daily activity) need some fuel, now if you drive further and faster (exercise) you will require more fuel.

Thank you for responding to this. I see alot of people make this same statement. This would be true for someone that did not adjust their diet. But for us on MFP the diet has been adjusted already. I feel like people fail to mention the calorie deficit they are already on when talking to nutritionists/dieticians/phyical trainers/etc.

So whens the last time any of yall be to a nutrionist ? yes i told her about this website and she agreed that it was a great website.. But far as me wanting to lose weight why would I eat back what i just burnt off? It makes no sense.. You go with how your body feels.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    BEEN*
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My nutrionist said that if you want to keep the weight you are now you eat back your exercise calories, but if your trying to lose you dont eat them back.. another thing no matter how much strength training or walking you , if you dont add cardio you wont lose as much weight..

Wrong, this only makes sense if you are eating maintenance calories. MFP gives you a deficit to lose your goal amount of weight, in order to lose that goal amount you MUST eat your exercise calories. It is all based on math by giving you a caloric deficit that will achieve your goal.

Not eating them may lead you to burn muscle, instead of fat, for fuel. Your metabolism may slow down, lack of energy as the more you workout the more fuel you need.

Think of a car. sitting in the driveway you don't burn much (evaporation) going slow burns less gas/km than going fast (think of this as normal daily activity) need some fuel, now if you drive further and faster (exercise) you will require more fuel.

Thank you for responding to this. I see alot of people make this same statement. This would be true for someone that did not adjust their diet. But for us on MFP the diet has been adjusted already. I feel like people fail to mention the calorie deficit they are already on when talking to nutritionists/dieticians/phyical trainers/etc.

So whens the last time any of yall be to a nutrionist ? yes i told her about this website and she agreed that it was a great website.. But far as me wanting to lose weight why would I eat back what i just burnt off? It makes no sense.. You go with how your body feels.

Again MFP already give you a deficit for your base calories to lose your goal amount of weight, if you don't eat your exercise calories you may not be eating enough, or you may lose faster, but you won't lose your goal amount of weight, and it should be your goal for a reason, so why would you not want achieve your goal. Is your goal so wrong that you want to lose more, if so just change your goal, then you can still eat your exercise calories and lose your new goal amount of weight. It is a goal for a reason.
  • l3ugjuice
    Options
    It wont actually let me change my goal to lose more than 2 lbs per week.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would be careful if you use calories burned from the Exercise tab. They may not be accurate depending on your workout and body type. You run the risk of over eating on your workout calories. I found it best to use my HRM to determine my calories burned.
  • momof4Oneal
    momof4Oneal Posts: 18
    Options
    Perfectly said.....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It wont actually let me change my goal to lose more than 2 lbs per week.

Any more than 2lbs/week is not considered a healthy weight loss. So your goal should not be to lose more than 2lbs/week, unless you have well over 100 lbs to lose, it is not a reasonable amount. Most users on MFP that are set up for 2 lbs/week should probably be on 1.5 or 1 lb/week. Slow weight loss is healthier and you will be more likely to keep it off.
  • l3ugjuice
    Options
    I was just answering your suggestion about sticking to 'your goal', and if you dont like your 'goal' you should change it. I cant change it on MFP, that's my point. Your suggestion:
    Is your goal so wrong that you want to lose more, if so just change your goal, then you can still eat your exercise calories and lose your new goal amount of weight. It is a goal for a reason.

...won't work, because I cant 'just change my goal'. MFP's goal is only a guideline for me, my actual goals are higher.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain why I would eat back exercise calories? Seems like there's no point in exercising if I just eat the calories back. I am currently eating about 1300 per day. Some days, like on weekends I go up to 1400 - 1600. How do I prevent going into starvation mode, but still lose weight? I don't want to eat too much or too little. My weight loss has been less than a pound a week, even though I have went from sitting on the couch all night and at my desk all day and not caring what I ate to eating 1300 calories and working out 5-6 :cry: days a week. aghhh

Okay... Assume that all of the solid advice for *healthy* weight loss is to be ignored...for now. I am not encouraging this by any means, but go ahead and try not eating them back if you think it's counterproductive. I'll tell you from experience that NOT eating them back IS counterproductive, but if you want to learn for yourself, I'll be the first to point you in the right direction for failure.

Constantly not eating them back creates an exercise bulimic disorder, where you will be having a massive calorie deficit each day. You say you don't want to hit "starvation mode", well, mathematically, you will be. It's inevitable. Eating 1200 calories and burning off 600, for example, will only give you 600 calories for that day. Do it again, and you'll have had only 1200 calories in 2 days. Do it again, and so on and so forth. By the end of the week you'll have accumulated so many negative calories that your body will do what its supposed to do... and think that it IS starving. Therefore it will eat away at your muscles and fat and anything else it can use for fuel.

Any food that you put into your body will be held onto for as long as it possibly can and it will convert it immediately for storage in the form of fat. You will then at that point become "skinny fat," where you may be low in weight, but absolutely emaciated and possibly still have flab. Great. You will have successfully attained your goal weight in the worst way possible to your health.

So, that's what the future of not eating your exercise calories holds for you. If it's something you can live with, by all means, don't eat them back. No one here will force you to. Make an informed decision and question no further.

very well said!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Anubis, Eric and others have explained it all well, but I just want to throw some more info in here.

- MFP is designed to have you eat those extra cals and still lose your chosen loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. If you have a lot to lose, it MAY not be as crucial that you eat all of those cals, but there are other considerations. Please educate yourself on how MFP works and metabolism - and at least make an informed decision. If you go about your weight loss in an unhealthy manner, you will end up unhealthy.

- Hunger is NOT a reliable way to determine when and how much you should be eating when you are first starting out.

PLEASE read these threads that explain all of this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I was just answering your suggestion about sticking to 'your goal', and if you dont like your 'goal' you should change it. I cant change it on MFP, that's my point. Your suggestion:
    Is your goal so wrong that you want to lose more, if so just change your goal, then you can still eat your exercise calories and lose your new goal amount of weight. It is a goal for a reason.

...won't work, because I cant 'just change my goal'. MFP's goal is only a guideline for me, my actual goals are higher.

you can change your goals by not selecting the "guided" option. if you select "custom" you can put in how many calories you want to eat. i have mine set at 1350.
  • l3ugjuice
    Options

you can change your goals by not selecting the "guided" option. if you select "custom" you can put in how many calories you want to eat. i have mine set at 1350.

Ok...soo...E, nevermind...I'll just change my goals. Thanks!
  • Mergator
    Mergator Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My first week on MFP, I thought I was doing myself a favor by leaving the exercise calories behind and not eating them. I ended up gaining a pound. Week two, I tried to eat most of those back each day and I lost 4 pounds.
  • l3ugjuice
    Options
    Once I bought a 24/7 monitor that gives me an accurate calorie burn count, I've been losing 4 lbs per week pretty much like clockwork. I'm following my 1k per day caloric deficit (based on my sedentary bmr) strictly, then exercising off another 1k per day: then weigh in every Thursday minus 4 lbs. It's like my diet is a math equation, and I have not felt this healthy in 15 years.

So I hear what you guys are saying about the eating off your calories thing, and if that works for you that's awesome. I'm really just not hungry enough to eat that much, and not eating those calories has been working like clockwork for me. Now that can certainly change in the future, and if so I'll change with it. But for the time being, if it aint broke I aint fixin it...
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Once I bought a 24/7 monitor that gives me an accurate calorie burn count, I've been losing 4 lbs per week pretty much like clockwork. I'm following my 1k per day caloric deficit (based on my sedentary bmr) strictly, then exercising off another 1k per day: then weigh in every Thursday minus 4 lbs. It's like my diet is a math equation, and I have not felt this healthy in 15 years.

So I hear what you guys are saying about the eating off your calories thing, and if that works for you that's awesome. I'm really just not hungry enough to eat that much, and not eating those calories has been working like clockwork for me. Now that can certainly change in the future, and if so I'll change with it. But for the time being, if it aint broke I aint fixin it...

Well, there is a reason health experts recommend not losing more than 2 lbs per week. Rapid weight loss carries many risks, including but not limited to: gallstones, arrhythmias, diabetes, hair/skin issues, menstruation issues, excess loose skin, liver/kidney issues, fatigue and depression, and weight regain. People who lose the weight slowly and learn healthy eating habits (which includes eating enough) are MUCH more likely to keep the weight off.

And hunger is NOT a reliable indicator of when and how much to eat, especially if your eating habits do not meet your body's needs.

What you see as "working for you" may actually be causing problems, such as slower metabolism and loss of lean mass (muscle).

Again, I'd recommend reading the "60 lbs" thread I posted previously. Obviously, you have to make your own decisions. But consider all aspects of your health when making those decisions.