Overweight trainer??

I'm down to my last 15lbs to lose and decided to higher a fitness trainer. I feel like my best choice, out of comfort, would be this woman but it looks like she may have a few pounds to lose herself. Or it may just be extra skin that I think I am seeing. She did mention that she also was very overweight at one point in her life. Any suggestions? Would anyone else higher a overweight trainer?

Replies

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Some people have larger builds. She might have a ton of muscle under there (probably does, if she's a trainer). Not all larger people are unfit, even in cardio areas. Not all thin people work out. I would hire any trainer if I felt like they were giving me good advice and knew what they were talking about, regardless of weight.
  • pdavie92
    pdavie92 Posts: 16 Member
    I'd give her a go and see what she's like. I quite like the fact that she's more human!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Erosgarcia wrote: »
    I'm down to my last 15lbs to lose and decided to higher a fitness trainer. I feel like my best choice, out of comfort, would be this woman but it looks like she may have a few pounds to lose herself. Or it may just be extra skin that I think I am seeing. She did mention that she also was very overweight at one point in her life. Any suggestions? Would anyone else higher a overweight trainer?

What is her background? How she works with people, education/training she has received, certifications, reviews/recommendations from those who have worked with her etc, are more important than what she looks like
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    I'm not hiring them to take care of themselves, I'm hiring them to give me fitness advice. As long so their advice is sound, I'll stick with them. Some doctors smoke. As long as they are telling me that smoking is bad for me, they are doing their jobs just fine.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    My trainer is a guy whose body doesn't particularly "stand out." Even at Gold's Gym, MuscleBro central, he is one of the most knowledgeable, personable trainers on our local staff (and they are all quite good). I have watched his sessions with very fit 20something females, group boot camps (mixed gender 30 & 40s, usually), a guy who has to be 75 if he's a day, my chubby butt, and many others. Even though he doesn't "look" like many of the Bros on the floor, this guy -knows his stuff.- He can effectively create workouts for any fitness level that push but are accomplish-able. I care WAY more about that than how he looks. His certs & bio are on the wall and jibe with his web presence (not that that says much, but it is a start).

If I were you, I would be watching your trainer to see if she seems to be tailoring sessions to your fitness level or if she seems to be going off a script. Watch to see if she puts others through the same paces she puts you through or if each time you see her with someone of a different fitness level, she is tailoring the workout. Ask her what makes good workout design. See if her answer jibes with some of the more sensible posters here & your own research. Ask her about goal setting & adjustment techniques. Imo, we go to trainers to gain help & knowledge to empower our journeys. The question is really "Can this person help me learn and move forward?"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I hired my coach because of his credentials and ability to coach me...
  • My trainer is awesome. She looks fit, there is clearly defined muscle mass, but she's not slim either. Probably age and thyroid problems are factors there, but it doesn't matter because I stopped gaining weight and now steadily fluctuate within the same 5lbs and I'm significantly stronger and starting to slim down. Education / certifications trump looks, so give the trainer a go if they have the right credentials =)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    Trainers who are in great shape show that they can definitely take care of themselves. It doesn't necessarily mean that they can do the same for others. Results are what matters and their clientele should speak more volumes here rather than how they look.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Just because someone is over a weight that you deem to be ideal, doesn't mean that they don't know their stuff. Not everyone does what they do for looks. I was an overweight dietetic tech. I calculated tube feedings for sick babies, I instructed patients on special diets, and I also happened to like beer and pie. One of my fitness instructors has a substantial amount of junk in her trunk, but she can squat more weight that I can even pick up comfortably.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    There are some overweight trainers at my gym...like really overweight. I'm sure their fine and fit. I watch what they do with their clients though and it doesn't interest me, if it did-I'd still hire them. Though admittedly, it is nice working with someone who's body you admire aesthetically.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    As long as I felt confident they could get me to where I wanted to be, that'd be enough for me. It'd be a lot more important that they were somebody I could work with compatibly, who could explain things in a way I understand and challenge me to improve.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    The exercise physiologist who evaluated me when I first started getting serious about losing weight was significantly overweight herself, but her advice was sound.

I did wonder why she didn't practice what she preaches, but it's her body to do with what she pleases.

That being said, if everything else is equal (certification, experience, awesomeness with a range of clients, interaction comfort with me) I'd go with the person who looks like they practice what they preach.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 301 Member
    Shallow. Would you prefer a bulemic? Define fitness. Define trainer. WTF does appearance have to do with knowledge, education and experience.
  • Erosgarcia
    Erosgarcia Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks everyone :)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Erosgarcia wrote: »
    Would anyone else higher a overweight trainer?
    Sure ("hire"). You'd feel pretty silly nixing Jillian Michaels as a trainer a few months after her pregnancy. The key question is, can she teach well what you need to learn?

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited February 2015
    Someone's weight isn't a reflection of their expertise and knowledge of exercise.
  • jodielarms
    jodielarms Posts: 51 Member
    I recently had this conversation with a girl in my exercise science class. Personally, I would rather go see someone who understands my struggle and has gone through it themselves.
    I don't want advice from someone who has been 100 pounds her whole life and cannot relate to my issues. But that's just me.
    That being said as long as her advice and plans seem knowledgeable I would be fine with it.