How often do you step on the scale?

Options
How often do you check your weight to keep yourself motivated? Once a week? Month?

Replies

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Once per day. First thing in the morning. But it's not about motivation, it's only about data.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I record once a week, but usually weigh daily.
  • 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i was doing it every Friday morning but have changed to every 10 days now. I don't know why but when I was doing it weekly didn't seem to move much where doing it every 10, I can see the weight going down.
  • millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Every morning at the same time, but I only record on Mondays.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    daily. sometimes twice a day! it is actually alittle obsessive but i cant seem to stop. i record only on wednesdays though
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Every Monday morning.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Officially once a week, but I do also step on it at random times during the week
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Several times a day, but I only record the first weighing. That is a lot, but I don't get upset over it. I'm more like - oh that is interesting.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do better when I weigh every morning. Keeps me on track and I like the weight tracker app that graphs all my weights and shows me a trend line.
  • CrystalJanuary
    Options
    I step on the scale and record daily (same time|early morning) using the Fitbit Aria scale. It syncs to my dashboard and includes body fat %. I cross reference the data with my food, sleep and activity patterns and it helps determine what regime works best for me.
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Daily, however I'm going to try and hold off and see what happens after about a week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Every morning
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I usually weigh 2-3 days a week and log once. Sometimes I only weigh once and that's my weigh in day. The number will drive you insane...

There's no point in weighing daily unless you're using an app like trend weight (IMO). Your weight is going to fluctuate due to what you eat, salt intake, water and waste retention, medication (which threw me for a loop recently), etc. Pick a day and make it your weigh in day. Put the scale away so you don't step on it every day. Just isn't worth it to get yourself worked up over it when - if you're eating and exercising properly - you're going to lose.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    First thing every single morning. I also weigh at night. Granted I know a night weighing is completely inaccurate, therefore I don't record it, but I can usually tell if I will have lost, gained, or stayed the same the next day based on how many pounds I'm up from that morning. Yes, I am obsessed.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    weight fluctuates daily for reasons other than fat loss (water weight, how much food is in your bowels, and many other reasons).

I weigh daily and my weight can go up by several pounds in one day only to go down by several the next (or maybe 2 days later). Although I'm sure there are medical / scientific reasons for the fluctuations to my eyes it follows no logic.

I generally weigh myself daily.

If I weighed weekly it could be a 'higher' day or it could be a 'lower' day and I wouldn't know. I could be happy or disappointed for all the wrong reasons.

If you are not going to get stressed by the day to day fluctuations then I would recommend weighing daily as it is the most accurate method. Also now if I go a few days without weighing and then I get on the scale I know from a lot of experience not to take the number to be too exact.

this next bit is just how I like to do it...
    I enter my weight each day into the withings website (would love to buy their scale so that it is entered automatically but haven't got the funds). My withings account is synced with MFP so that MFP is automatically updated each day. I also have some apps which sync automatically with Withings ('libra' and 'Monitor your Weight') The apps display my weight data in different graphs forms (actually I just like seeing that line go down in lots of different ways). So when I enter the data into withings it automatically updates MFP and my 2 apps. the last thing I did was tell MFP not to post my weight losses onto my feed. since my weight goes down every second day or so, I felt like I was being congratulated for the same few pounds several times over.

• Feelgood97
    Feelgood97 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Once a week ;)
  • anonniemouse
    anonniemouse Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, then record the average weight of each week on mfp.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It's funny how different people are. I get much more worked up about the numbers when I only weigh weekly. If I don't see any change, or enough change after a whole week it bothers me. Only having that 1 number gives it more importance in my mind, while having lots of data points makes it easier for me to not worry about the occasional higher number.

Anyway, there's no 1 right way. Find what works best for you and go with it.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I used to weight everyday...got compulsive. Then I stopped weighing completely...gained (a lot) of weight because I had no proper tracking method.

Now I weigh once a week. No more, no less. Works well for me.