Fitbit

Hi everyone
I bought a fit bit for Christmas and I love it but the only issue I have is that I think it adds to too many calories to my fitness pal, today for example I've walked to work, 45 minutes and its added 842 calories which is way too much, does anyone else have this issue? have I done something wrong?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• pdavie92
    pdavie92 Posts: 16 Member
    Check all the settings at the fitbit site, your weight and stride length in particular. Check all settings on my fitness pal too. Other than that I'm not sure.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    amyhutch1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I bought a fit bit for Christmas and I love it but the only issue I have is that I think it adds to too many calories to my fitness pal, today for example I've walked to work, 45 minutes and its added 842 calories which is way too much, does anyone else have this issue? have I done something wrong?
    Thanks in advance

Fitbit sends MFP your calorie burn up to the time it synced. Then MFP takes your activity level setting here and the calorie burn from fitbit to estimate approximately how many calories you might burn by the end of the day.
    This essentially means your adjustment can increase or decrease before the day is over. It should adjust each time you sync. If you have a fairly sedentary job, then your adjustment will most likely decrease while you're at work.

Now another thing could be that you have your activity level set too low here on MFP. In which case because you are more active than you thought, you are getting a larger adjustment from Fitbit. I can easily get around 1000 calorie adjustments from Fitbit if I set my profile to Sedentary here on MFP.

Then there is the possibility of your settings being off either here or on Fitbit.
  • JamesMauldin
    JamesMauldin Posts: 14 Member
    How is one supposed to accurately determine their activity level? I have a desk job, and MFP is set to sedentary, but I also run 3 times a week. Does this change my activity level? Does it through off my numbers if I don't adjust MFP up a notch?
  • Kmzelner
    Kmzelner Posts: 1 Member
    New to. Community section .... I also had some question regarding the fit bit with mfp. Since reading this I have just adjusted my activity level. I had it a lightly active n just changed to active. I am a preschool teach n on a normal working day I hit 10000 step by 1-2 o'clock. But now it added 120 calories to my day? Now up to 1320 a day? Was at 1200. The adjustment adds in on average 400-500 calories a day... Seems like way to much food! 1600- 1700 calories a day?!?!?
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    In my experience with fitbit linked to MFP the calorie burn calculation is pretty accurate. Basically if you have yourself set to sedentary in MFP, then just about any activity you do is going to add calories in order to maintain your chosen rate of loss (which I'm assuming you have set at 2lbs/wk because otherwise your calorie goal would probably be higher than 1200 to start with).

Anyway, I'd assume that the extra calories are accurate or close to it until you see evidence to the contrary.