How weightlifting and gaining weight changed my life

Options
My story is far from over, but I feel like I'm at a point where I'm on the right path and I know how to stay the course. This is a long story, but I'll try and condense it as much as possible. I'm a 30 year old female, 5'4". 10 years ago I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and other various mental health conditions. Throughout those 10 years I tried all the various meds- SSRI's, benzos, stimulants. None of them really helped much, because I continued to have extreme fatigue, racing thoughts, etc. In Fall 2011 I tried the stimulant Vyvanse and that one seemed to help the most. And it had the added benefit/side effect of suppressing appetite and raising metabolism a bit. But for me that wasn't good because I didn't need to lose weight. But I'm ashamed to say that I wanted to lose more weight or at least be thinner.

In July 2012 I had a DEXA scan done just for fun. I was 97 lbs with body fat at 28%. My bone density was in the questionable range (I guess at my age definitive conclusions about osteoporosis are hard to predict based on the DEXA). I had no idea what a good BF% was supposed to be. I quickly found out that I was skinny fat. Which wasn't surprising, because I had spent many, many years eating very little calories, very little protein, and doing little exercise- and when I did exercise it was just cardio. At the time I thought it was great- I could take the Vyvanse (and before that it was Strattera) and not be hungry, eat junk food, and lose weight. It was great! So I thought. But I was basically just wasting away my muscle mass.

So in July 2012 I decided to get serious and start a strength training program. It was extremely difficult since I was so weak and I have scoliosis. But I kept at it. But I felt like my progress was really slow. My calories were around 1700 which I thought was enough, but it really wasn't. It wasn't until I started bulking in January 2014 that I started to see real progress in terms of building muscle. I had also started a heavy weightlifting barbell program in May 2013 (I've been doing Mike Matthews's Thinner, Leaner, Stronger program since that time). So I did the bulk and got up to 110 lbs by June 2014. My calories at the end were up to 2300. But my body fat % was getting a bit high, so I did a recomp and then cut which ended in Sept 2014. Then in November I started bulk #2, and my plan is to keep bulking for the rest of the year. It's a slow bulk, so I'm gaining about a pound per month. Calories are at 1900, and need to be raised again soon since my gains are tapering off. Currently I'm 108 lbs., and I'm guestimating body fat to be somewhere around 17%.

In October 2014 I decided to taper off the Vyvanse, because it just felt like the right thing to do. I'm not saying psychiatric meds are bad, but for me at that point in time, it was the best thing to do. The Vyvanse had helped give me the energy to get out of bed and start weightlifting in the first place, so I'm thankful for that. But I felt like it had run its course and I could rely on nutrition and weightlifting to get me through. So I've been off all meds since November 2014. But then in December, I was diagnosed with what appears to be Lupus. So maybe all the fatigue I've had over the years has been due to an autoimmune condition and not a psychiatric condition? Difficult to say for sure. But one thing I can say for sure is that I'm so thankful I started weightlifting when I did, because now it's become habitual and I feel confident that I can stay the course even on days when I'm completely fatigued.

My hope is that my story will inspire others (mainly women who eat too little, feel trapped in cardio hell or never-ending starvation diets). I've done all the crazy diets over the years. I used to exercise so I could eat and stay skinny, but now I eat so I can fuel my workouts and get stronger and stronger. Building yourself up from a place of being skinny fat takes a lot of time, patience, and dedication. You have to trust the path and stay the course. As a woman, it is definitely difficult sometimes to be ok with gaining weight (from a mental/emotional standpoint). In the beginning I thought I would gain muscle magically. But I found out it took a conscious effort to make the scale go up. A conscious effort of eating enough and lifting heavy. It's taken me a long time to build myself up, because I was basically starting from being a bare bones skeleton. But I think I've accomplished a lot, and my success goes way beyond aesthetics (although I do think I look a lot better with more meat on my bones). I have a completely different mindset and I have much more confidence and self-esteem. I feel like I can tackle any problem or challenge that comes my way. In the past, having received a diagnosis like lupus would have caused me to fall apart. Now, I'm like "ok, one day at a time, and I'm just going to try and do the best I can each day." Not be perfect, but just the best I can be at that point in time. Sometimes that means I have to slow down and rest, and I'm ok with that. It's about accepting our limitations, but not letting our limitations define us, and finding creative solutions to work around the limitations. For me, one of those creative solutions has been weightlifting. Currently I’m only doing 30 min of cardio once a week. All the cardio I used to do in the past just left me feeling weak and fatigued. I used to dread my weightlifting workouts at first, but now I absolutely love them- they're one of the best parts of my day, because I love making progress and getting stronger. Finding out what ignites your passion and is best for YOUR body is so important.

Also, I strongly believe in the power of failure and habit. Weightlifting was extremely difficult for me at first and after many failed attempts at proper form, effective program, and other failures, I finally dialed in the best program for me. Same thing with nutrition, calories, and macros- took many failed attempts before I figured out what was best for my body. And these things are still works in progress as I figure out more and more about what’s best for me. Also the power of habit- starting something new is challenging at first for many reasons. One of those challenges is being able to sustain something over the long haul. Weightlifting and counting cals and macros was tedious at first, but now I’ve got this momentum that makes those things feel like second nature.

sih8z8aw4gtq.jpeg
egugfpl7l3f2.jpg
rl99baf5yznu.jpeg
9cy6nbuo2ryc.jpg
u7zql24d9xxi.jpg

Replies

• mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Amazing story!!! :) I'm glad you were able to get off the psychiatric meds. Those can wreck your body pretty hard. Cheers to literally and figuratively building yourself up with weight lifting and proper nutrition. :drinker: I'm incredibly jealous of your upper back . ;) I can't wait yo start weight lifting again.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Gosh, it sounds like you're in a good place now with weights and macros and less meds. I'm really sorry about the lupus diagnosis though sweetie, I hope things become easier for you going forwards. Xx
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you are a strong woman inside and out, and a great inspiration for others.

edited to add, I am also jealous of your upper back - nice work!
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Your before looks like how I was one time at 103lbs; the skinny fat but didn't know how to gain properly.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story of strength. xo
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You've certainly had success! I'm working on strength right now, mostly doing well but one problem area. I'm about 25% body fat, five three, 120 lbs. I'm slowly but surely building strength *except* my shoulders are being really stubborn. Everywhere else, I can lift heavier and heavier over time. My shoulders do not want to improve. I lift as heavy as I can stand, where I can just do like 7 or 8 reps to failure. You'd think after all these months (close to a year) this area would have gotten stronger along with all the other areas.... any insight/advice?
  • thehumanteapot
    Options
    Great Job! Gosh, this is so inspirational. :smiley:
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    You've certainly had success! I'm working on strength right now, mostly doing well but one problem area. I'm about 25% body fat, five three, 120 lbs. I'm slowly but surely building strength *except* my shoulders are being really stubborn. Everywhere else, I can lift heavier and heavier over time. My shoulders do not want to improve. I lift as heavy as I can stand, where I can just do like 7 or 8 reps to failure. You'd think after all these months (close to a year) this area would have gotten stronger along with all the other areas.... any insight/advice?

Shoulders can be difficult. For all my workouts, I do a few warm-up sets and then a few really heavy sets (only 3-4 reps). Then I follow that with some sets in the 7-10 range depending on what workout it is. So I would suggest lifting heavier and only do 3 or 4 reps for the first few sets after warm-ups.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words! :D
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear that weight lifting has been such a powerful force in your life. You look wonderful and confident.
  • robert_n1
    Options
    you look shredded. how long was your cut stage. what was your diet like and what was your cardio like
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Thanks! My cut was fairly short- about 3 months. Gradually decreased cals and got more aggressive the last few weeks- about a 20% deficit. The lowest my cals got to was 1500. Macros were 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat. Only did 20-30 min HIIT cardio sessions on recumbent bike. Did cardio a couple times a week and increased to 4 times a week for the last 3 weeks of the cut
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent work !
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Keep up the good work!!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration, needed it today :)
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Absolutely inspiring! Thank you for sharing.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!