I Might Have A Thyroid Issue?

Options
If there's anyone out there with thyroid issues, could you tell me what kind of symptoms you were experiencing or things you noticed? I don't know, I just feel like it's SO easy for me to gain weight and then trying to lose it takes 10x longer. I recently left a very stressful work situation that gave me extreme anxiety, no sleep and even a few panic attacks. I feel like my body just isn't the same and I wasn't sure if a traumatic experience can affect your thyroid (does that sound crazy? I don't know...)

I know the best thing is to go to the doctor, I'm in the process of finding one...I just want to see what other people have experienced before being diagnosed or if anyone else had some sort of trigger. Thanks!

Replies

• Tambo1980
    Tambo1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last summer with hypothyroidism. I knew something was wrong when no matter how many hours of sleep I got I never ever felt 'rested' and literally could not function without a daily nap. Also, no matter how healthy of a diet & exercise program I followed I could not lose weight. This went on for many months and finally what made me realize I had a serious issue was that my hair started falling out. I had patchy thin, almost balding spots at my hairline as well thinning eyebrows and eye lashes. After being diagnosed and regulating it with levothyroxine I lost 11 pounds in a fairly short amount of time and after 2 months my hair started growing back. For me there was no trigger. It just seemed that I had symptoms for a very long time, and that they just got progressively worse to the point of the hair loss and I also had terrible brain fog. My best advice is definitely have your thyroid checked ASAP! I feel infinitely better now and my only regret was not getting it tested sooner. Good luck!
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My hair fell out, my fingernails grew clubbed and brittle, I slept 18-20 hours a day as if I was in hibernation. I gained 65 lbs in 4 months on a strict 1350 calorie diet.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't think I really had symptoms other than I was always tired. But I put that down to work etc. When I was diagnosed as hypothyroid I'd actually gone to the GP because I had unquenchable thirst. They tested me for diabetes and loads of other things and it turned out I had an under active thyroid and B12 deficiency.

I think the problem is that their can be so many symptoms which can mean a thyroid issue but they can also be symptoms of other health problems or end up being nothing at all. Getting blood tests done is the only way to find out for sure.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else wrote. Plus, for me, my longest-time bestest friend noticed that my face and neck shape had changed, as though I was almost developing a goiter (ack!) The tired thing really kicked my butt and losing my hair was really upsetting too. Please get to a doctor as soon as you can. Although I detest being on a life-long med, I'd rather take it than be miserable forever. Be good to you!
  • erincricket
    erincricket Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't have it yet, but I do have two small nodules on my thyroid that are too small to biopsy at this point. My dad has it, and I expect I will eventually get it. Sometimes it is just a process of waiting for it to show up in my bloodwork and getting a yearly ultrasound to make sure nothing is growing too large. There could be other reasons you feel bad as well--a vitamin D deficiency, anemia, and others I can't recall. A good doc will do bloodwork and examine you thoroughly.
  • SeizeTheDays
    Options
    Perpetual tiredness, brain fog something dreadful, forgetfulness and just feeling so unlike myself and unwell.

I am better now than I was but I still don't feel like the old me. Yes I did gain weight (but that would be the wine and chocolate!) but where as before I lost weight easily it was, and still is much harder to shift.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Feeling tired and hair loss are the basic