15 lbs

Options
I would like to lose 15 lbs in 3 months. And I've googled it and read all sorts of articles telling me how to do it but they don't say if it's possible so I would like to know from people with experience if it is possible?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is, but dont get frusterated of things go slower than that, it is harder to lose fast when you have a smaller goal because there is less room to make a deficit. Dont starve and torture yourself to get there because that is no way to live. I heard there is a group for people trying to lose smaller amounts, you should search for that, or maybe someone can share the link? Never hurts to have a few friends in your corner :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It is, but dont get frusterated of things go slower than that, it is harder to lose fast when you have a smaller goal because there is less room to make a deficit. Dont starve and torture yourself to get there because that is no way to live. I heard there is a group for people trying to lose smaller amounts, you should search for that, or maybe someone can share the link? Never hurts to have a few friends in your corner :)

All of this.

It's possible, but it depends on your starting weight and how much you have to lose.

And, from personal experience, if you exercise (especially strength training) and eat right (not too little), you can LOOK like you lost a lot more weight. And when that happens, the number on the scale really doesn't matter.

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the % of your present weight. It is easier to lose 15 lbs if you are 50 lbs overweight, then if you are just 15 lbs away from your goal.
    Totally possible, 1lb a week is pretty standard with calorie reduction.
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It sure is. 31 May is 15 weeks away, if you start Monday morning that's roughly 3 months so if you target to lose over 1 lb a week thats a good basis.

From everything I have read calorie deficit is the key so recording everything in a food diary is important. I have lost 6kg (13.2 lbs) so far, I mix up everything but I always make sure I aim for 1,000 deficit and at worst make sure i have a 500 cal daily deficit.

To keep it simple this is what I have done so far:

1. Drink - only water, green tea or black coffee (mornings only)
    2. Breakfast - a good breakfast to start - I have 3 eggs. When I can get good ones I start with a whole grapefruit, then shower, then have eggs (don't ask me why, it just seems to work).
    3. Sleep - its important to have enough rest.
    4. General activity - I aim for 10,000 steps average/day over the week as a rule.
    5. Body type - I worked out I am a protein type so go heavy on protein, and have 5-6 days of low carbs and then a relax day (still lower cal but I relax the rules on what I eat).
  • jordanthesword
    jordanthesword Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you:) these are a lot more helpful than the articles I've read.
  • stefanie0116
    stefanie0116 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same mission lol and yes 1200 calories a day and you will loss about a pound a week
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest of loosing more than 3 lb /mnth
    Lower your calories and increase your protein intake but don't skip fiber & add curd (lactobacillus) frequently.
  • LittleJem01
    LittleJem01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ian_Davies wrote: »
    5. Body type - I worked out I am a protein type so go heavy on protein, and have 5-6 days of low carbs and then a relax day (still lower cal but I relax the rules on what I eat).

Hi Ian, I'm relatively new to this - any chance you could give me some pointers on working out my body type, please? Thanks!
  • larsonjd
    Options
    I'm on the same mission lol and yes 1200 calories a day and you will loss about a pound a week

You can certainly eat more than 1200 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. Now granted I'm a man but my intake is 1800 calories to lose 1.5 pounds a week. Out weight is likely different but still, don't kill yourself.

Eat better non processed foods if you can. Really makes a difference.

I'm also early in getting to my ideal weight, and this may not be the right mind frame but what helps me to get encouragement to exercise and easy better is this easy thought "Then I can eat more!"

When exercising you're burning calories adding to your overall intake budget, and w hen you eat healthily, you can typically eat more of what your eating. Not a rule of thumb, but good luck!
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    larsonjd wrote: »

You can certainly eat more than 1200 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. Now granted I'm a man but my intake is 1800 calories to lose 1.5 pounds a week. Out weight is likely different but still, don't kill yourself.

Eat better non processed foods if you can. Really makes a difference.

I'm also early in getting to my ideal weight, and this may not be the right mind frame but what helps me to get encouragement to exercise and easy better is this easy thought "Then I can eat more!"

When exercising you're burning calories adding to your overall intake budget, and w hen you eat healthily, you can typically eat more of what your eating. Not a rule of thumb, but good luck!

It depends on many factors. On 1200 per day (MAX), I lose and average of a half pound per week.

OP, you may lose faster, or not. Don't expect necessarily one pound per week. Also, the first few pounds may go quickly, and the closer you get to the goal, the scale may seem to stall a bit. Therefore I would suggest that you give yourself a more flexible goal, such as "losing between 10 and 15 pounds in three months".

Disappointment is one of our toughest enemy. Save yourself from failing just because the expectations were too high, and the goal, too narrow.