Treadmill Jogging

Options
Hi. I am looking for tips on how to start jogging on a treadmill. I'm female, 5'3" and weigh 194. Thank you.

Replies

• lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone I highly recommend Couch to 5K: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I did a couch to 5k program. It starts off pretty easy, like 1 min jog/1 min walk intervals and progresses weekly. You have to try to pace yourself as the weeks go on, and not try to run too fast on the running parts. If you get to a week that seems too difficult, and you aren't ready to progress, you just repeat that week's workouts.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    What the others said, or just do a slow progression on your own. Maybe start out walk 5 minutes, slow run for 1 minute if you're a total newbie. Then move to walk 4 minutes run 1 minute for a few days or a week. Eventually you'll get to run 2 walk 1, run 3 walk 1, and so on. Just go slow and you will build up faster than you think. I find the couch to 5k programs always moved too fast for me, so don't be afraid to progress slower.
  • auntyp147
    auntyp147 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yep def recommend C25K. I'm on week 6 now and really enjoying it. I'm a newbie to running and can't believe why I never gave it a go before now. Pace yourself and you'll be fine :D
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Start slower than you think you should. It takes a while to get used to running and even more time to get used to running on the treadmill. Shin splints may result if you push too hard too soon.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but I'm also a huge fan of C25K. It's a totally free app, and it definitely helped me (someone who is just about as anti-cardio as it gets) go from huffing and wheezing after jogging for 30 seconds, to jogging a full 2 minutes at a moderate pace (6.0 - 7.0 speed) with only sort of feeling like I was going to die...

Admittedly, I fell off the bandwagon for a week or so, due to personal reasons (and laziness, heh) but I'm signing up for a gym in town that has an indoor track (as I feel it may be more... inspiring than a treadmill, but without the pain of bracing this weather!)

Best of luck, and keep us posted! :D
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Don't hold on to the machine.

Don't forget to warm up.

Make sure your form is solid by recording yourself. You don't want your feet ahead of you or behind you (look up "Treadmill Form" in Google).

Always run/walk 1% incline minimum to mimic run/walking outside.
  • jerogers4s
    jerogers4s Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I really like the zombie 5k app. It's like a beginner to the zombie run app. I downloaded c25k first, but found that I just couldn't keep up. Let me also clarify that I'm not a runner by any means. I'm practically a beginner in every sense of the word, and I'm slow as molasses in winter. Honestly, I haven't run since probably 8th grade (I'm 26 5'4" 209lbs). I like the story line bc I'm kind of a nerd. I just finished the first week, which was 10 min brisk walking 1 min walk, the 15 seconds running between each walking interval. It ends with a 10 minute free form run. The first day I was nearly dying by the end 10 minute free form run so I just walked the rest. Yesterday (week 1 day 3) I completely the intervals, then jogged 5 minutes of the free form run and walked briskly the last 5. It really makes me excited to get my run in bc I want to hear the rest of the story. Also I like seeing the progress I'm making. I keep increasing speed as I go. Also, in between the scheduled days, I still get on the treadmill anyway. I'm trying to beat my personal time to complete a mile. I started on the treadmill taking 22 minutes to complete a mile. I've shaved it down to 16:28 minutes. Still slow, but faster than everyone sitting on the couch.
  • angiein2000
    Options
    I need advice on how to run/jog without peeing all over myself. I've got up to 2 miles in 33 minutes and would like to pick up the pace, but I'm afraid of leaking. Any advice
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I believe there is some teally good advice in these posts. I'm working up the guts to actually try