I'm new. What have I done to myself!!!

Options
I joined MFP yearlier this year and did nothing else. I have since gained 40 pounds! Everyone says if you are overweight there is an underlined issue. Is that true? Am I big now because I had a hysterectomy three years ago, or because I was attacked six months ago. or is it just overeating because food taste so good, exspecially after quitting smoking? I miss being young and care free. But here I am, ready to get back to my old self and drop this weight!!!

Replies

• gunnyswife
    Options
    I joined MFP yearlier this year and did nothing else. I have since gained 40 pounds! Everyone says if you are overweight there is an underlined issue. Is that true? Am I big now because I had a hysterectomy three years ago, or because I was attacked six months ago. or is it just overeating because food taste so good, exspecially after quitting smoking? I miss being young and care free. But here I am, ready to get back to my old self and drop this weight!!!
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Welcome back!!

You can do it this time :flowerforyou:
  • amccarville
    Options
    this site is awesome and will help you shed that weight. just make sure to track your food and your workouts. you will do great. there is so much support here to help you stay on track. stay focused and before you now it you will feel young and care free again. good luck:flowerforyou: :happy: :tongue: :bigsmile:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Welcome back from me too.

There are always underlying issues with weight gain. You could be genetically prone to weight, your health (as in your hysterectomy) could throw you off -- look at my history and you'll see how surgeries and stress in your life will lead you down that path.

Finally, the human body doesn't naturally want to work out or not indulge so then that underlying issue is purely motivation from within (intrinsic) which we all try to take control of but often find the path to least resistance is sitting down with a bowl of ice cream or a death by chocolate cake.

For each of us the "underlying" reason is different -- for me I seem to have all the above symptoms and it's been a real struggle to try to stay on top of things especially with the holiday season already on us.
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I agree with amccarville...I would add too that maybe you could try logging your food the night before and that will let you know how many calories you need to burn at a minimum the next day.

The underlying issues could be many from what you wrote in your post. Try logging your food & exercise and I would seek the ear of a good friend to help you sort out the emotional part.

Hope this helps:smile:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Glad you're back :flowerforyou: You CAN do this and you ARE worth it!!:drinker: