How often do you step on the scale?

Options

Replies

• leena31
    leena31 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Everyday, first thing in the morning. It is an obsession.
  • kmccann357
    kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    daily
  • jaymikhail69
    jaymikhail69 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So I see most people choose to track it daily. But if the body fluctuates daily, why track it daily? Is it just compulsive?
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    It gets to be an obsession/compulsion, but there's really no point in being that way. It's just added stress when you don't need it.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So I see most people choose to track it daily. But if the body fluctuates daily, why track it daily? Is it just compulsive?
    Its precisely because the body fluctuates daily. You average out all the amounts and you get a (reasonably) accurate number. If you just do it once, then you won't know if its above or below your current 'average.'

If you average out 7 consecutive day's values then you get a weekly average, Once you have a weekly average for several weeks in a row then you know how much you are losing per week. Its useful to know about how much you are losing per week so that you can know whether you're eating the right amount of calories.

Also if you weigh yourself weekly, and it happens to be an 'above average' day, then you can feel disappointed because you might think you haven't lost anything that week. eg if you are losing 2 lbs per week but you happen to weigh on a day that you are 2 lbs above average then you will think you haven't lost.

Obviously how often you weigh yourself won't speed up or slow down your weight loss. So it doesn't really matter and is just a question of what works best for you and what will help you stay on the wagon :)
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I weigh nearly daily, but only record when it's a new low. Mostly I watch for trends...how did eating out affect my weight, am I a few days away from my period, etc.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Once a month when my trainer takes my meassurements. Weight loss kind of takes a backseat to my life. I focus on other things. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I track weekly but the most important improvement I made was to track on weightgrapher. I pay attention to the trend line and ignore the rest.

To better understand my fluctuations I weighed daily for about 30 days. I can fluctuate 3 pounds in a single day! That's obviously not fat. Since you are the analyst type, try daily for the first few weeks. You will discover loss is not directly related to your efforts that day. Don't be surprised if your weight temporarily increases after increasing the intensity of your workout. I think it is water weight in reaction to the repair needs of your muscles.
  • pawp11
    pawp11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only log when it's a lower number whether that's the next day or 10 days from now. That works for me. It might not work for someone else. But I always say, "Don't let the number hurt your soul," meaning don't let it bother you regardless of whether it's up, down or the same. As others have mentioned weight can fluctuate (madly for some!)
  • sweetaj
    sweetaj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Once a week, Sunday morning. If i did daily I would obsess
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning on my Aria and it just syncs to MFP. I think the daily weighing helps me understand and anticipate fluctuations so I don't freak out about it. The only thing that is annoying is that on my feed it will say "lost .8 pounds" when really, I maybe just went up on water weight one day and then dropped back again. I wish there was an option to track all weights, but only "announce" new lows. Because, it probably looks like I'm losing weight much faster than I actually am.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log it in my happy scale app (which givese my trend). I log my weight on MFP only once a week.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    It's funny how different people are. I get much more worked up about the numbers when I only weigh weekly. If I don't see any change, or enough change after a whole week it bothers me. Only having that 1 number gives it more importance in my mind, while having lots of data points makes it easier for me to not worry about the occasional higher number.

Anyway, there's no 1 right way. Find what works best for you and go with it.

Yes, that's what I find! The daily weights are just numbers - I don't expect to lose a significant amount of weight every day, and I do expect my weight to go up and down. But if I weigh weekly I expect a loss every week, and am disappointed if not, even though that's unrealistic.

It's interesting because I'm doing two lots of weighing at the moment. I weigh every day at home. And I weigh every week at a weight loss class. I find myself getting worried about weighing in at the weekly class, in a way that I don't with my daily weigh-in.

• Chellybell13
    Chellybell13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    1-2 times a week. I only record it once a week though.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options

It's just data. I weigh daily, unless I forget/am out of town or something. I don't obsess over it. I step on, step off, record the number in my weight tracking app and move on. I only put losses into MFP though.

42829955.png

• TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Every morning before getting ready for work.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Usually,one to two times a day.But sometimes it can go upto 5-6 times a day because I have severe obsessive compulsive tendencies :s
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I get out of the shower.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    every morning after going to the bathroom
  • dandayatra
    Options
    once a week