TOM

Options
When do you ladies find your weight fluctuates caused by TOM? A week before, only during etc.

Replies

• PoisonIvy088
    Options
    A few days before, during, and a few days after.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Sydmayn wrote: »
    When do you ladies find your weight fluctuates caused by TOM? A week before, only during etc.

I have never noticed much of a change. Then again, I broke up with TOM two years ago, and have been with Depo ever since. Sometimes I do feel a bit more bloated when I'm due for my next shot, but other than that, I never experience tons of water retention or change in my weight.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options

I have never noticed much of a change. Then again, I broke up with TOM two years ago, and have been with Depo ever since. Sometimes I do feel a bit more bloated when I'm due for my next shot, but other than that, I never experience tons of water retention or change in my weight.

Meh. Lucky you. Super jealous. :/
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Well, I like to stay active. I do occasionally get a cycle near my shot, and when I do, I find that walking and chugging water keeps my cramps at bay. I also don't tend to indulge in anything that could exascerbate water retention. I treat it like any normal intake week. Maybe that's why it tends to stay in check for me; who knows!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I stabilise around ovulation for about 10 days, then drop, then stabilise for 2 weeks within 1-3 lbs then drop again about day 6 of my cycle
  • Rachelgarland715
    Rachelgarland715 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The week before... No fun!
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options

Well, I like to stay active. I do occasionally get a cycle near my shot, and when I do, I find that walking and chugging water keeps my cramps at bay. I also don't tend to indulge in anything that could exascerbate water retention. I treat it like any normal intake week. Maybe that's why it tends to stay in check for me; who knows!

My cramps get so bad I can't even stand up straight. Much less exercise. But, luckily, its only on the first day when its that bad.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

My cramps get so bad I can't even stand up straight. Much less exercise. But, luckily, its only on the first day when its that bad.

I used to be the same way. Honestly, you just have to force yourself up. I noticed at least for me, they were 20x worse when I was sitting/laying down, but if I pushed through the first minutes, I felt a lot better.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I often don't gain at all. If I do (usually if I haven't been drinking as much water as usual), it is just a pound or two around ovulation. I actually usually lose more the week before and during my period than at any other time.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options

I used to be the same way. Honestly, you just have to force yourself up. I noticed at least for me, they were 20x worse when I was sitting/laying down, but if I pushed through the first minutes, I felt a lot better.

Strong willpower. ;) admirable.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Exercise helps cramps.

I have endometriosis which means I get extremely painful periods, to a point where I pass out from the pain. But I still manage to exercise during my cycle.

If I can, you can too!

Otherwise, I'd see your OBGYN about your painful cramps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I start gaining at ovulation and it just gets worse until 4 days into TOM, then I spend a day peeing and I lose most of it, and the rest goes away within a week.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options

Exercise helps cramps.

I have endometriosis which means I get extremely painful periods, to a point where I pass out from the pain. But I still manage to exercise during my cycle.

If I can, you can too!

You're going to laugh, but I actually don't think its as bad as I make it out to be. My stomach is just my "weak spot" when it comes to pain. The rest of my body can handle a fair amount of pain really well, but when I have a painfull belly, I just want to curl up and cry. Hahaha. Its pathetic but true. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Exercise helps cramps.

If I can, you can too!

This always makes me laugh because I always get the worst cramps 20 minutes into exercise. Like, I'll be fine, then out of nowhere, horrible cramps.

But I think my endorphins are broken.

At least Advil has always worked pretty well for me (although I still have to alternate with Tylenol every 3 hours at times).

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    I agree with this post. Everyone feels some extra hunger at TOM but some people act as if progesterone and/or estrogen make them powerless not to eat all the food. It's an excuse like any other.
    Also to the poster with endometriosis, you are awesome. I can't imagine how painful that must be (my old room mate had it and some months she literally fainted because of the pain)
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I gain 5-7 pounds the day before my period starts and it drops off the day before it ends. I gain 1-3 pounds at ovulation but it only lasts a day or two. I don't get hungry but crave red meat the first couple of days (I just make sure we eat red meat those nights and do pretty good. Most months I can work through the cramps, this month I took two rest days instead.
  • erinlikesfood
    erinlikesfood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself regularly so I don't know how my weight fluctuates, but I was really surprised by my hunger a few days ago (day two of starting my period). In the evening after eating to my calorie goal (~1600), I felt ravenous. I had a snack bringing me to like 1850 (more than I'd eaten on any one day all week) and was still honestly light-headed with hunger. It was late though, so I just went to bed, and when I woke up felt totally fine, and haven't experienced it again. It was just weird because it was honest hunger, not like a craving.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

You're so lucky. I miss it. I was on it for almost 6 years and then was told if I didn't stop immediately I would have a 90% chance of osteoporosis. :-(
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i usually gain acouple pounds before and it often drops back to normal at the end, but my issue is im always so snacky during this time! popcorn chocolate(which i usually dont keep in the house but got some for valentines day). im always so glad when its over and the craving are gone! i just joined again a few weeks ago so my will power isnt top notch yet but working on it!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Before, during and also at ovulation.