Weight watchers vs. My fitness pal

Options
I need some help a few years ago I lost about 30 pounds on the old weight watchers plan. When I rejoined over a year ago they changed the program long story short I cant seem to stay on the same track as before. I really didn't lose any weight during that whole year, but I didn't gain either. I switch back and forth to my fitness pal but never actually complete a whole week of tracking on my fitness pal before I go back to tracking points. I really need some pointers I'm so tired of spending money on weight watchers and not getting the effects that I want.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Regardless of which program you choose, consistency in applying the program is what is going to work. That's a you thing...you just have to do it.

I've been negligent on my cut after a nice fall and early winter bulk...I know what I need to do, I just need to actually do it.

Personally I would opt for MFP because it's free and you actually learn what kind of caloric intake you need rather than points. But really, it comes down to you being consistent in logging and applying the tool...
  • lg3737
    Options
    That is my problem I know what I need to do I just need to apply it. I do track better on MFP, but because of my prior results something just keeps pushing me back to WW. I just deleted the app from my phone, and I'm dedicating this whole week to MFP.
  • SeizeTheDays
    SeizeTheDays Posts: 10
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was doing the same thing. Kept thinking WW would be as effective as it was years ago. I just couldn't get into it again the same way and kept thinking "next week I'll do it properly". All I did was lose and gain the same 7lbs in a cycle of frustration and anger at myself. I too had dipped in and out of MFP ages ago and decided that WW (despite all its claims) does not encourage healthy eating. It is a money making machine that relies on people 'falling off the wagon'

So I decided to take back control. I used to eat healthily. I used to be accountable. I figured that joining MFP, adding friends and an open diary was the way to go to get that back again. The best bit? I'm not paying a business to give me control, I'm taking it back myself.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs on the old WW plan. Thing is though the old plan was effective in helping me lose weight, I was still not eating the best nutritionally...WW does not show you the nutrients you need (or help you track them) for a healthy body. MFP does that.

You do have to do whatever you choose faithfully.

It is strongly recommended to use a food scale.

MFP is a tad bit more involved than WW. But it is more complete imho...and 100000% free.

Think of the money you could save for and new wardrobe.. :wink:

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MFP is free, so that's a big plus.
    WW doesn't accurately record all calories, so that's a big negative. Page down to #4 here, where it says "perfect real world proof". He's talking with a woman who used WW and finally came to realize that because of their fruits & veggies being "free" (no points), she thought it was OK to eat lots of them... which led to not losing weight.

(And for anyone who's ever heard or wondered about "starvation mode", read the whole article. Very informative. Bookmark it to pull out for the next idiot who insists her metabolism has shut down & she's gaining weight because she's in starvation mode only eating 1300 cal/day. Saw a couple of those this morning. So much fail, I don't know where to start.)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You need to stick to a plan. I would recommend MFP because you have control of food choices, its free. WW works (I mean in principle you are consuming less calories but counting points instead of calories) but the limitations on an self admitted undisciplined eater may be harder to do.
    Just find the discipline inside and get it done my friend!
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was hardcore WW for about 2.5 years. Had the points down so well. Used a scale. Got in my GHG's. Even bought and subscribed to their Activelink, which was another $5/month on top of subscription. It didn't work. Kept losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. I remember some foods were so low in points, like sushi rolls, that I would eat so much. And the free veggies and fruits were also a cause for failure. They kept saying that no one becomes overweight eating too many fruits and veggies....yes they can.

My cousin tried to get me to switch to MFP, but I was so comfortable with the system that I refused for a year. Finally made the switch. And so glad I did. Now I'm obsessed. Got myself the Fitbit aria scale as well as the charge hr. Love how everything is so well integrated, and I've had a lot more success.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    WW wasn't a good fit for me. I felt I needed to almost eat too much to hit my points and didn't feel healthy about it and didn't lose weight. When I start paying attention to my food, of course it's going to be more veggies and some fruit and having all that free, well....I didn't feel it was a good program to get me back to more nutritional options. I never got past the first 90 day special and barely followed it even the first couple weeks. I already know how to eat too much and didn't need to pay some company to encourage more of the same.

MFP is free. Every bite and sip counts. It's free. I'm eating a much more normal amount of food and most of it is very nutritious. It's free. It's got me back to making my own food, which tastes better than most restaurant food anyway. It's free. I'm losing weight and a lot of inches. Best of all, it's free.
  • gusinott
    gusinott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I lost 40 lbs on the old WW plan. Thing is though the old plan was effective in helping me lose weight, I was still not eating the best nutritionally...WW does not show you the nutrients you need (or help you track them) for a healthy body. MFP does that.

MFP is a tad bit more involved than WW. But it is more complete imho...and 100000% free.

Ditto to this and other above posts. I lost 80lbs on WW years ago, but then some of the weight came back and I've yoyo'd throughout ever since trying all sorts of things that were more accessible and less expensive than WW (Belly Diet for Men, Abs Diet, Atkins Diet, etc.). Then I found MFP not too long ago. It's great.

I bought a food scale and I weigh pretty much everything. I've set realistic goals for myself, nutritionally- and fitness-speaking. I'm logging on every day, and I use MFP to pre-plan my meals (which is something I used to do on paper, minus the calorie counts... What an eye opener that was!). I'm getting obsessed as well, I guess... LOL I recently bought a new HRM (Polar FT80) to help me with my workouts. I do weigh myself, but I rely more on how my clothes fit. But so far, I am happy with the results that sticking to this have been produced.

So, yeah, whatever you choose, make sure it suits your lifestyle, stick to it, and watch the changes happen over time (however long that is), i.-e. dropping weight without dropping a lot of cash. Whatever you choose, good luck with it!
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just use MFP. It's everything you need, it's free, and you can use it for the rest of your life without paying a penny. It has to be a permanent lifestyle change.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely STARVING on WW in 2009. I was ALWAYS hungry... It did work for me.

With MFP, I'm still hungry, but I don't get to the point where I can't sleep because I don't feel like I've had enough to eat for the day.... EVER. I definitely feel like I get to eat more with MFP and I will never go back to WW again.
  • patpiepoli
    patpiepoli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did WW about 5 yrs ago and lost 50 lbs but put back on about 35. I've been using MFP for about a month and like it much better. If you're concerned about fiber (since that's a big part of WW) you can add that to your food diary. Add some accountability friends and you'll be good to go. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like and good luck!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I agree with this...I lost 55 lbs on WW in 2006-2007, but when I rejoined the program had changed and for whatever reasons, it didn't work for me the same way. My mother in law still does WW whenever she wants to lose weight for a vacation. She finds "low point" foods that she loves that really don't have a ton of nutritional value (VeggieStraws). I love that MFP gives you way more information about what you're eating. My mother in law recently started going on and on about a particular brand of greek yogurt that she just loves, and when I tried to tell her there's another one with about 1/3 of the sugar as the one she likes, she literally said to me, "I only care about the points." There's so much more to a food than what the calorie/fat/fiber ratio is...

And MFP is free...
  • Cappy29
    Cappy29 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended Weight Watchers to lose weight with MFP coming in second. She told me a combination of monitoring food and exercise will help lose weight. Personally, I make time for exercise and eat a lot of protein. Protein helps me feel full. Ever since I changed my diet to include more protein than MFP recommends I find I'm more satisfied and eat less. Hope it helps.
  • drgreen5555
    drgreen5555 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did WW in 2007 and 2008 and lost 55 lbs. At that time I also tracked my food here on MFP. During 2007 and 2008 - 1WW pt roughly equaled 50-70 cals. I think WW has changed some since then. Well I got lazy and quit tracking my intake and exercising about 2011 and have put 40 of the lbs back on. Long story short, I think WW and MFP can be used simultaneously ....also anything you do consistently will work!
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My wife has been on WW and I have been using MFP since last May. She has lost about 30 lb and I have lost 50, both reaching our goal weights. It has helped that we prepare most of our food, and I have been calculating calories and points for each, so we can design recipes and meals to meet both our requirements. WW is in fact a calorie counting system with slightly different factors for the macronutrients than used in the conventional calorie (Atwater) system. Depending on the fat content of a food, a "Point Plus" is about 36 to 42 calories, and using an average value of 38 is accurate to within the margin of error in the calorie determination. What I don't like about WW is, as others have noted, the supposedly "free" foods (raw fruits and vegetables). In reality, WW has simply made an assumption about how much of those you will eat (about 200 cal/day) and factored that into you allowable daily points. That strikes me as an unnecessary gimmick. As also noted by others, it is not possible, as far as I can tell, to determine the composition of foods eaten from the WW log; it tracks only points. You need the macronutrient composition of a food to determine the points, but there is no way to reverse the calculation. The ease in MFP of following the nutritional composition of food eaten is a deciding factor in my preference of it to WW.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see the benefit to ww. It doesn't have anything to offer that mfp doesn't do better. You track points vs calories. Calories are more accurate, Plus ww costs money. JMO. Some people like ww and ultimately you should choose the option that you will stick with and make a commitment to.
  • lg3737
    Options
    Thanks for the reply this is very helpful. :D
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I also lost weight previously with weight watchers And became a lifetime member. After having two children needed to lose weight again but I don't know why but the new system didn't work for me. I would track everything but still not lose weight. As others have said I think it's this free fruit and veg thing even though I don't think I was eating a ton of them. Also this weekly point thing might of been a problem as i used to use them at weekends and then probably weighed more due to high glycogen stores, sodium etc. I find my fitness pal much better. It's free it works and it's much easier to find the calorie content of foods when your are grocery shopping then having to work out the points.