Blisters from running

Options
Hey , i recently took up running, im using the C25K app and i noticed that after running i get white blisters and they sometimes hurt as im running, I wanted to know if any one had any suggestions that could help with the blisters and prevention tips? I bought new trainers a couple weeks ago and broke into them and i wear cotton socks, does this happen to any one else?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think most runners will experience blisters at some stage! Try different socks.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Cotton socks are terrible for running, because they absorb sweat and wrinkle up. Try using synthetic or wool socks that are designed for running. Thorlo and Smartwool are good brands (there are others). You can also use polypropylene "wicking" sock liners, but even so, it's a good idea to avoid cotton.

If you always get blisters in the same place, you can also see whether there's something in your shoes that is irritating your foot, such as a seam.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing: if you get really serious about running, it's a good idea to have at least 2 pairs of shoes, and switch between them every run.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I get blisters from basically existing. The best thing I've found is special (pricey) socks that you can buy from run shops or sports stores that say they help prevent blisters. Mine are moisture wicking & double layered in the heel. You can get different fabric weights, and I think you'd want a lighter weight if you're working out indoors, and varying weights if you run outside and live somewhere seasonal. You'll probably want to ask someone in the store for help though -- it's been awhile since I've bought.

Also this has some great ideas, in the body & comments:

http://www.xovain.com/how-to/blisters-fall-boots
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    New socks.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    This is something that popped up yesterday on my facebook feed....properly locking your laces to prevent heel slippage which can lead to blisters. I don't run, but this was pretty cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH3CA1-g4h4
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about running, you may want to get fitted for the right shoe 8)
  • AnishaLikesPizza
    AnishaLikesPizza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You definitely want moisture wicking socks. And I also put vaseline on "trouble areas" on my feet to keep the blisters at bay and it works like a charm.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for good shoes. Seriously, wearing the right socks will help, but I bet anything it's your shoes. I'm an EE, and I get horrible blisters all over if I'm not in a shoe that fits when I run. I can get away with ill-fitting ladies shoes for the office or for just hanging out, but I have to have the right shoe to run in!
  • lwynd002
    lwynd002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I used to get blisters all the time and would put those Bunyan cushion things on my troubled areas ...that was before I bought properly fitting shoes (which are a size larger than the size I wear in street shoes). Personally for me, the shoes made such a big difference; I don't wear those cushion things (lol) as I haven't gotten any blisters.