Dealing with the "Sunday Guilt"

Options
Hello.
I'm really struggling to keep up my healthy eating regime at the moment. Particularly at the weekend. For example I had homemade fish and chips Friday, a big 3 course lunch yesterday and a 2 course one today (not healthy choices) ,plus some alcohol and obviously my breakfast. And just polished off 2 bits of toast.
I have exercised a bit.
I just feel disgusting but can't seem to not feel guilty about it. Lots of people must do it. I have gained 7lbs since start of December and weight seems to have stabilised at that.
Been going through a hard time and food seems to be my "crutch". Can't seem to shake it.
Does anyone else get really guilty on a Sunday?
Sorry if that's a long ramble!!!

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat less on the weekends than during the week.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I eat less during the week so I can eat out with friends and family on weekends. I plan my week out.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    My mantra every day but especially on my days off:

If it is important you will find a way,
    If not you will find an excuse!

Then if that does not do the trick:

Too many trade what they want for what they want now.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I feel no guilt here.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You got to eat less during the week to make up for it, that's pretty much the only way.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose weight??? Then...make better choices. Plan for times out with your friends...work it into your day or weekend. Then there is no guilt.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Do you want to lose weight??? Then...make better choices. Plan for times out with your friends...work it into your day or weekend. Then there is no guilt.

Truer words have never been spoken, lol.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I no longer count calories. However, even when I was counting them Sunday always was and still is a big day for eating lots of food. Most of the time my choices are still healthy so it doesn't matter too much anyway. It's ok if you find that you are more hungry on the weekends as long as you try to make try to make healthier selections.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    eat at a slight deficit during the week so you can indulge more on weekends
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I do like everyone else here and keep my deficit pretty low during the week so I can go out on the weekend. And even then, I keep it very reigned in over the weekend - like ONE modest dinner with dessert, no drinks.

I want to lose weight and that's what I have to do to get there.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    The Golden Rule Of Dealing With Guilt : Don't have any.

Hint: it *really* helps to have slightly sociopathic tendencies, with no associated neuroses. :)

• andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been doing quite poorly the past few weekends, so you're not alone! My downfall is indulging in sweets Fri/Sat/Sun. Yesterday I felt quite bad about how much I ate so I've tried to do a lot better today! We can't change the past but we can certainly decide to make better choices going forward (:
  • ilyo777
    ilyo777 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my 'cheat' day, so no guilt needed! :-)
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I struggled from Halloween to Valentines Day - eating pretty much what I wanted, and had a 9 lb. gain. I've gotten it back under control by logging and weighing - doing the things that got me to goal in the first place. Like others, I have found that eating in a very controlled way during the week makes eating for fun (and a little less controlled) on the weekend less guilt-inducing.
  • ErnManBiker
    Options
    I've never heard of Sunday guilt. I've heard of people binging though. I've done it after a period of eating a real strict clean diet. That said, after years of trying (for a 1 year period each time) different diets, there is one thing I'm convinced of. You have to find an eating program that works for you all the time! If you do, you won't feel the need to binge. Restrictive diets, in my opinion, are not the answer, except for a handful of people that have specific body building goals and must cut BF to compete, etc... For the majority of people, if we stay away from processed foods, and eat good whole foods, lean meat, fruits and veggies, etc.... we won't have to be restrictive. We can eat quite a lot actually. and every now and then, we can throw in a desert of our choice! That's my two cents. Diets I tried for 1 year include: Atkins. Vegan. Paleo. SAD. G' Luck.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I spend Sundays eating Sunday roast, walking the dog, batch cooking for the week and watching crap movies with my family ...no guilt

Just watched Mathew Broderick almost blow up the world in that 1980s movie where he hacks the NORAD computer system ...ahhh the Cold War...good times :smile:
  • Ice_Arrows
    Ice_Arrows Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I usually have 100-200 calories leftover most every day of the week. Find it helps to remember those saved calories for the times you go overboard and think its not affecting your progress as much as you think due to them. Also helps if there is low calorie or healthier options easy to grab for when the munchies hit. a hand full of trail mix, banana, and the yoplait dessert yogurts are nice and sweet with only 35 cal a serving.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    On maintenance, I generally follow the guidelines laid out by the last two phases of my 4 phase Dukan plan. The main thing I do : never take seconds, and always log everything. I reweigh some foods to make sure my inner portion size calculator is still on target. I have found I can always eat at a lose 1/2 a pound a week calorie count level and some back for activity. Other than that, look at the total week.. And my week starts on Monday!!
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes - I have it every Sunday. No way to resolve, but am trying to limit the "heavy eating" to only one day a weekend, or only one meal a weekend.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I eat less during the week knowing I'm going to go over on the weekends. But I do have some guilt, especially when I have days like this past Friday where I clocked in at a good 3900 calories.

I'll probably eat a little less for the next couple days to counter it. And guilt aside, I've been doing this a long time and I know it doesn't really matter. I won't gain weight. The key is realizing you do have to balance the excessive calories with some low calorie days, and you do have to watch and adjust as needed so a few lbs don't creep up on you.

I think in some ways it's good for our bodies. Zig-zag dieting I think is what it's called.