renal failure diet

Options
Hi
I'm using this app to track my nutritional intake due to kidney failure - anyone have any kidney friendly tasty dishes?

Replies

• BenBairn
    BenBairn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently had shrimp fajitas that were great and fit pretty well into my kidney friendly diet. Leave out the salt, use olive oil instead of vegetable oil and skip the sour cream. I like to go easy on the tortillas and heap a lot of filling on. http://www.food.com/recipe/shrimp-fajitas-89933
  • ptracyrn
    ptracyrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a hemodialysis RN. If you go to the Davita dialysis web site, you will find plenty of renal recipes!
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I second ptracyrn advice. My dad has complete renal failure and his diet is complicated. DaVita is a godsend.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Let's Help her by giving the website! www.davita.com a free site, tons of help.

I have one kidney now due to cancer, and IT is wonky with CKD… low eGFR, so I must watch potassium, phosphorous, sodium… for you Dad foods like potatoes and yams can be eaten IF you slice up and soak in cold water over night..it cuts potassium in half.

NKF Nationalkidneyfoundation has brochures and advice
    National Kidney Foundation Phone: 1–800–622–9010 or 212–889–2210
    Fax: 212–689–9261 Internet: www.kidney.org

American Association of Kidney Patients Phone: 1–800–749–2257 or 813–636–8100
    Fax: 813–636–8122 Email: info@aakp.org
    Internet: www.aakp.org

American Kidney Fund Phone: 1–866–300–2900
    Email: helpline@kidneyfund.org or patientservice@kidneyfund.org
    Internet: www.kidneyfund.org

Medical Education Institute, Inc. kidneyschool.org
    Phone: 1–800–468–7777 or 608–833–8033
    Fax: 608–833–8366 Internet: www.kidneyschool.org

Best to you..I have PDF recipes/quick tips I can send, just ask.
  • SarahKate2710
    SarahKate2710 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to work for the Kidney Foundation of Canada and on their website, they have a whole kidney kitchen section with renal friendly recipes. Some of them are really good.