3 lbs a week???

Options
I am really looking to loose about 2-3 lbs a week. I am not sure how to go about doing this (nutrition wise and excersize) can someone please give me some advice on how to occomplish this goal. Thank you

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Set your profile here to lose 2 lbs a week, the most that the site recognizes as a safe rate of weight loss and fill your daily calories with healthy choices. My loss is mostly from nutritional changes I haven't been that great about going to the gym despite paying the monthly fees, actually been a month since I went!

I was stuck at the same weight for a while, but last week I dropped 6 lbs even with the 2lbs a week setting.
  • attcute
    attcute Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    if you put the information in thats needed on this site and where it asks how many pounds per wk you want to lose, select 2 lbs, it will tell you how much calorie intake you need to accomplish this....also try to get your 8 glasses of water and at least 30 minutes of some type of exercise, even if its just a slow pace walk...this all should work!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    If you use MFP to set your goal to 2 pounds per week, then log every thing you eat or drink seeking to come to the calorie goal MFP has set but not go over, you will lose that weight at that rate. Exercise will help you get healthier, but weight loss is primarily about the calories you eat. Nutritionally how to modify your diet to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss is something you will learn over time. At first just seeking to meet that calorie budget is a great place to start.
  • calistyle
    calistyle Posts: 7
    Options
    Use MFP to determine calories. but for that extra boost, add cardio. Try and do 30-40 min a day for 4-5 days a week, with a good heart rate. (130-140).
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    For what you have to lose, 2 lbs per week may be too aggressive (and MFP does not recommend more than 2 lbs per week for anyone.) 1.5 lbs per week is probably more realistic and will help you learn healthy eating habits.

Might help to read these threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs
  • Ktylerw
    Ktylerw Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    try the 17 Day Diet!
  • misslys9304
    misslys9304 Posts: 17
    Options
    i've been losing about 3 lbs a week for about 2 months. i was about 40 pounds overweight though, so if you don't have too much to lose it may be harder. what i do is run about 3-6 miles 5 days a week and do some p90x. i also watch what I eat and maintain my calorie goal. drink lots of water and make sure you're weighing yourself so you know if what you're doing is working for your body. don't drink soda anymore and don't eat fast food at all. eat healthy foods like fuits and vegetables and the pounds will just melt away.
  • SewRue
    SewRue Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go with the consensus! The max you should try is 2lbs a week. But if you drastically cut your calories and don't exercise your body will go into 'starvation mode'. If you really want to make changes, lower you carbohydrate intake, up your protein and do strenghth training workouts. You should also be on the lookout of gain muscle mass so measure yourself as well as weigh. But do not try and set ridiculous goals. Be realistic and be healthy.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Then you'll be losing mostly water and muscle.
  • Michelemybelle
    Michelemybelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've lost 39 lbs. in the past 10 weeks. I workout every day doing 35 minutes of cardio (I do intervals on the treadmill) and do strength training every other day.I did join the gym and hired a personal trainer to make sure I'm getting the most out of my workouts. Food wise, I cut out sugar, dairy and grains. I eat organic protein (eggs, chicken, fish and ocassionally lean beef) LOTS of green vegetables, nuts, extra virgin olive oil and drink low carb protein shakes made with unsweetened almond milk just about every day, post workout. People say losing more than 2 lbs a week is unhealthy, and some people might disagree with me, but I think it really depends on how much you have to lose. I have at least 50 more to go, so I had a substantial amount to lose in the beginning. Also, going from a sedentary lifestyle to exercising every day like I did makes a big difference. I find that by eating enough protein and strength training, I'm still gaining muscle, even though I'm losing about 3-4 lbs a week. I have tons more energy and feel much stronger. I'm sure that as I go, the weight loss will slow down since my body will eventually require less calories.
  • Danielle_07
    Danielle_07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you soo much. Wow you really lost 83 lbs.. congrads to you. I need to get down 70 lbs total, but just taking baby steps now. If I can loose 10, I will be happy. lol Good luck to you
  • Danielle_07
    Danielle_07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    wow. I love your story. congrads to you. I have been on the right path for a few weeks now. working out 3-4 days a week for 60 min. Try to do more, but with work, 3 kids and my hubby, time is limited.. lol I have 70 lbs to loose asap. If you have any advice for me, I would gladly take it. I can't afford everything organic, but if I just stay with lean meats with I be ok??? Thanks in advance.. D
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    If you are really overweight even at 2 pounds a week you will sometimes lose more than that simple because you have a lot to lose. As you get closer to a healthy weight you need to slow down your weight loss or your body will more and more do what it can to hold on to fat and it will start using muscle instead.
  • Michelemybelle
    Michelemybelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    wow. I love your story. congrads to you. I have been on the right path for a few weeks now. working out 3-4 days a week for 60 min. Try to do more, but with work, 3 kids and my hubby, time is limited.. lol I have 70 lbs to loose asap. If you have any advice for me, I would gladly take it. I can't afford everything organic, but if I just stay with lean meats with I be ok??? Thanks in advance.. D

I'm responding to this assuming it was meant for me - don't want to come across as a know-it-all, because I don't! LOL I understand about the time issue. There are a lot of nights that I'm on the treadmill at the gym at 9:00 p.m., after my kids and hubby are in bed. Organic isn't as important as just eating healthy. Protein, and lots of veggies is basically what I eat. I learned about this plan (Paleo) from a great guy on MFP - Steve McKnight. I think his profile is public. He has helped me so much. He's completely changed his body, it's amazing! He recommended the book, The Primal Blueprint. This eating plan is basically the way cavemen ate. I'm sure there are some people who disagree with this kind of eating, but is sure has worked for me. I think the key is finding something you can live with long term, that works for you. Also, after getting a heart rate monitor for Mother's Day and using it for the past few days, (on top of advice from my trainer), I've been paying more attention to my heart rate during my workouts. I do intervals (raising and lowering the speed/incline to raise and lower my heart rate). The trainer says it will make my body burn fat more efficiently that just 30 minutes on the treadmill at the same speed. It's a challenge for me and it makes the time go by a lot faster. I actually enjoy it. :) If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and help. :)