Food scales, What are you using?

Options
I'm still new to MFP and keep seeing many people suggest that you would make more progress if you were to use a scale. I have been looking at a few and am a bit overwhelmed by the options. What do you use and why?

Replies

• kiki_anitoni
    kiki_anitoni Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi I actually purchased one from Walmart recently. I found a digital scale for about $15. I have been weighing chicken, vegetables, fruits, preparing my own snack packs. You can weigh anything really. The why of it I guess is because using measuring cups tends not be as accurate as one would think, which could lead to being over your caloric intake without even knowing about it. That could stall your progress if you're trying to lose weight. Hope this helps!
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use this one: http://tinyurl.com/qh9bjbp. Comes with a whole booklet with calories, etc, etc, and calculates fat, carbs, etc. Really, I just got it because it was cheap on woot.com a few years ago, and it measures well. It's important to measure your food because most people underestimate the amounts they eat, and therefore underestimate the calories. It gives you a better idea of what you're actually putting into your mouth.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Got mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $40.00. You can weigh by gram (my favorite) or ounces. Same as DEgal99, it shows EVERYTHING and has a couple of booklets. Very easy to use and is extremely accurate. The top is glass and has the Nutrition Facts right on it.

perfect portions
    E-mail: info@greatergoods.com
    Phone: 866.9911.8494

Well worth the cost.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Bought mine from Bed, Bath, & Beyond.

u51mnxom1rlm.jpeg
  • HuskyHiker413
    HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use this scale and love it! (http://amzn.to/17L0xxi) Escali 157RR Arti Glass Digital Kitchen Scale. I like that the entire top is glass so it is easy to clean. Also it is super simple to use and I think I read somewhere that Alton Brown recommends it...
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Bought mine from Bed, Bath, & Beyond.

u51mnxom1rlm.jpeg

Me too! I love it.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use the $15 digital one from WalMart. It does grams and pd/oz.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • gusinott
    gusinott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the Starfrit $24 model, works great for me. A friend of mine uses the Biggest Loser Food Scale, and loves it (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Biggest-Loser-11-lb-Glass-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/19528896).
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I found a good scale on Ebay for about $5 or $6 with free shipping. It's my second one because I dumped the first one in water one day while trying to clean it. It has ounces and grams. If you measure something that doesn't fit on it you can set it up to zero out the container.

I had the first one for three years before I destroyed it.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Love mine from Target!! $18 made by Taylor.
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a Taylor scale. I got Taylor because I've had other Taylor brands and they seemed good - didn't break, accurate, so I trust the brand.
    But if you are looking for more advice beyond brand name, I'd just look for something with a digital readout, and does both grams and ounces.
    I also have a cheaper (and older) scale that I keep at work, but it's stuck on grams (which I think is more accurate) which is annoying because certain foods are easier to find the calories in ounces, so I'll have to manually convert. (Not a big deal, but annoying) The cheap scale is by WeightWatchers.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor scale from Target.
  • kdhith
    kdhith Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use the OXO food scale w/pull out display. It allows for multiple tares, etc. I use a scale anyway for cooking/baking, so I didn't have to buy one for this dieting thing!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I have this one http://www.taylorusa.com/kitchen/food-scales/digital-bamboo-kitchen-scale.html Got mine at Target. I think it was around $20. It shows grams, lbs/oz, ml and fluid oz. I had another Taylor one, but got this because the backlight is greater and my kitchen is on the dark side (and my eyes are old). Plus, the bamboo looks nice.
  • jflaur71
    jflaur71 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Picked up one at walmart. Its actually a bowl , which makes it really easy to drop stuff in. Lbs and Grams @ $20