Women 5'7" 195ish?

Options
So I'm 5'7" 195 lbs..... calories are set to light activity. Just wondering if any other women with my same body type are eating over 1600 and losing weight? I have it set to lose 1lb a wk.

My BMR is 1650
TDEE: 2272

Calories set at 1650. But it seems as if I go up a lb down a lb each week.

Replies

• bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am just under 5'8" and I am 190. I vary from 1500-1800 and I am losing. It is not as fast as most, but I am ok with that. I also think it depends on what kind of foods you eat :)
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8. I started at 225, and am now sitting at 175-ish. I honestly barely ever eat under 1600. I'd say I usually eat between 1700 and 1800. That has me losing about 5 lbs per month. Just remember that weight does fluctuate a little bit, and that most people are more likely to keep their change permanent if they take it slow
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors that determine your TDEE. I am 5'6"and 182, and my TDEE is only around 1500-1600. So eating over 1600 would make me gain weight.
    I am also 50 yrs old, and do not work outside the home.

If you are accurately measuring and logging everything consistently, then your TDEE might not be as high as you think it is.
    Are you eating back exercise cals? If so, you may be overestimating your cals burned.

It is a lot of trial and error and patience.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Your ticker shows 35 lbs lost. Did you recalculate your cal goal after the weight loss?
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I barely started keeping track around 45 days ago. Before that I didn't have a calories goal set, I was just watching my carbs and keeping them under 30 a day. And the first 3 wks I was here I had it set for 1200 2lbs a wk. But I was always hungry and tired. Then I heard about TDEE and started going by that which puts me around 1700. But I have it set 1650.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    5'8" and currently 220 down from 242, having lost 22 pounds approximately but it took a year! Currently on 1800 a day and losing slowly...next target is 90kg = 198 lbs
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8. I started at 225, and am now sitting at 175-ish. I honestly barely ever eat under 1600. I'd say I usually eat between 1700 and 1800. That has me losing about 5 lbs per month. Just remember that weight does fluctuate a little bit, and that most people are more likely to keep their change permanent if they take it slow

Are you exercising, and if so is 1700-1800 your net calories or total calories?

I'm only asking because MFP sets my calories goal at 1200. Today I looked at the net calorie report and sometimes I'm in the 800-900 range because I'm not eating back all of my workout calories. See the actual graph hit home with me and made me realize I need to start netting at least 1200...just afraid to increase the calories. I know...a mind set that needs to change.
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm not at 195 anymore but throughout the past 9 months, I have lost weight primarily by eating in the 1600-1700 range. When the weather is warmer, I exercise 2-3 times a week or more. I was doing C25k & C210k. Now am incorporating beginner weight lifting and treadmill running at my college gym at least once or twice a week until the weather warms up again!

SW: 213
    CW: 173
    GW: at least 160 ish

Great tool to use is Scooby's Calorie Calculator! Google it! You will input your info in and it will give you a calorie goal. It's based off of your gender, height, weight, how many meals you plan to eat in a day, how often or little you exercise and your fitness goals (lose weight, lose fat and gain muscle, clean bulking or gaining weight). After every 5 pounds lost, you are to go back on there and input your new numbers in to get a new calorie goal.

Then in MFP, I manually change my calorie goal to what Scooby gives me. I do eat back my exercise calories. I've averaged 3-5 lbs lost a month, but as I'm getting closer to my final goal, my numbers have slowed down a bit.

Hope this helps! Feel free to add me, guys!
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I found it hard to stay within the 1200-1400 range too. Changed my calories to 1500 today, and I got that number based off what my 'maintenance' level would be when I reach 140 lbs (currently I'm 182 lbs). I figure if I can eat like this now, it will set me up for success when I actually reach that weight. And *hopefully* any exercise that I'm able to do will just help me to lose weight a little quicker.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Im 5"6, bmr 1636, tdee 2250. Im averaging 1800 net (I eat all exercise cals back) and losing ~1.5# a week.
  • mkakids
    Options
    Oh...currently 214
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I started this time at 188. I quickly moved on to grossing about 2000-2200 calories to lose weight, with my normal lifestyle being about lightly active. Moderately active with exercise included.

The closer I've gotten to my goal the less I've liked eating only 2000 calories.
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, just went from 193 down to 188. My goal is to lose 1 pound per week, so max 1700 calories a day set at light activity. So far, it is working! I stopped logging my exercise, which is mainly walking the dog and yoga, so I don't eat my exercise calories back. Feel free to add me!
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Great question with lots of great answers on here. I had MFP set my numbers for me but my friend said I was too low for my size. She suggested 1500 (just started back on February 18. 2015.

5'7"
    220 pounds

I see most of you are in the 1700 or so. How did you get this number as MFP gave me way lower. I DO NOT EAT back my calories. ANYONE CAN ADD ME AS A FRIEND.

Another question I have. I am/was a huge Coke drinker I was at 4-6 cans a day. At Christmas time I stopped for 8 days and when I fell off the wagon I went back to 4-6 cans a day. So I switched it to half cans (which I can buy in Canada not sure about anywhere else) (half the sugar and half the calories) Only day 2 but so far it is working. TONS OF WATER

NOW MY Question:

Like I said I only started 5 days ago but since then I feel way bigger than before I started seems like my skin is stretching out. But my weigh in is tomorrow and I cheated and checked today and I am down 5pounds. WHY DO I FEEL LIKE THIS?

Valanne
  • cnkihm
    cnkihm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    5'7.5'' and 177 pounds. I started out at 190, so it's been a little slow, but thankfully a steady decline. Personally I did about 1530 cal/day, but 1600 should be fine as well - you may see a slower change in weight, though. And if you work out, you'll be able to lose a little faster.

Unfortunately I've been a frequent victim of yo-yo dieting in the past, even though I said to myself I'd never be one of those people. It's been pretty humbling, to say the least. Now I really understand that losing weight isn't the end-all finish line, it's more of a milestone. Losing weight should be a lifestyle change, not just a fad! Good luck, and I hope you'll see results soon!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5 and was 187 when I started. I have been shooting for 1600 but end up with 1700 average and have lost 18 lbs since I started 1/1/15 (I lost 10 pounds in two weeks, mostly water weight from a quick holiday weigh gain). My TDEE was 2250 when I started I believe.

• KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    @Swoopette‌ maybe you're retaining water? Or maybe your skin is starting to shrink and feeling tighter? Or maybe your body has inflammation from the Coke or something?
  • Mamamac1010
    Mamamac1010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 5"8 and started at 193. I currently eat between 1700-1800 and am losing weight. I am now 182, losing slowly but surely.
  • mkakids
    Options
    Swoopette wrote: »
    Great question with lots of great answers on here. I had MFP set my numbers for me but my friend said I was too low for my size. She suggested 1500 (just started back on February 18. 2015.

5'7"
    220 pounds

I see most of you are in the 1700 or so. How did you get this number as MFP gave me way lower. I DO NOT EAT back my calories. ANYONE CAN ADD ME AS A FRIEND.

Another question I have. I am/was a huge Coke drinker I was at 4-6 cans a day. At Christmas time I stopped for 8 days and when I fell off the wagon I went back to 4-6 cans a day. So I switched it to half cans (which I can buy in Canada not sure about anywhere else) (half the sugar and half the calories) Only day 2 but so far it is working. TONS OF WATER

NOW MY Question:

Like I said I only started 5 days ago but since then I feel way bigger than before I started seems like my skin is stretching out. But my weigh in is tomorrow and I cheated and checked today and I am down 5pounds. WHY DO I FEEL LIKE THIS?

Valanne

For 1# weight loss, lightly active....mfp gives me 1860. I earn and eat 200-400 more most days. Losing 1.5# per week.