Eating out-chinese

Options
so it's been a while since I have gone out to have chinese. My mum is over from WA and we're having a going away dinner since she is leaving again in a day or two.

Any suggestions on what to avoid? What to focus on?

http://www.nowrabowls.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/rinks-menu.pdf

This is the menu, it's just a chinese at a bowling club. Nothing fancy.

Any recommendation on a meal? Or general suggestions like avoid curry or avoid beef.

Thanks, just trying to put my mind at ease.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    One evening out with your mom is not going to ruin you. Really. Just don't go crazy and enjoy yourself. Get back to logging tomorrow. You will be fine. The sodium may screw you up for a few days but that will be water retention :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want. There isn't anything to avoid, except maybe the the scale the next morning. Soy sauce has a ton of sodium btw. :p
    If it's purely about calories, stick with the non-fried foods... but I mean... anything you get is going to be higher in calories anyway.
    I'm actually eating Chinese right now too, haha. I have General Tso's Chicken with Broccoli and White Rice.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am not too concerned about one day of chinese. But if I have a choice of one dish that's 2000kj and another that's 5000kj I would prefer the 2000kj if they are both equal in other ways like taste.

But I'm just not too sure what is lower or higher in kj when it comes to Chinese.

How are green curry chicken dishes normally? That's sort of what I am leaning towards at the moment.

It's just I'm not a fussy eater, like I like everything from honey chicken, mong beef, satay veg, curry beef etc, I think the only 2 Meals I didnt like was I think beef with plum sauce and sweet and sour pork.

So I would enjoy just about any meal so it comes down to kj to make the choice :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Be conscientious and have a good time. It's your mom!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I am not too concerned about one day of chinese. But if I have a choice of one dish that's 2000kj and another that's 5000kj I would prefer the 2000kj if they are both equal in other ways like taste.

But I'm just not too sure what is lower or higher in kj when it comes to Chinese.

How are green curry chicken dishes normally? That's sort of what I am leaning towards at the moment.

It's just I'm not a fussy eater, like I like everything from honey chicken, mong beef, satay veg, curry beef etc, I think the only 2 Meals I didnt like was I think beef with plum sauce and sweet and sour pork.

So I would enjoy just about any meal so it comes down to kj to make the choice :D

My guess is that the satay vegetables and the curry beef will have less sugar than the other dishes you mentioned. You could call the restaurant to ask how much oil or sugar is added to either one of your four examples.
    Have you had the beef with ginger and shallots? That looks good.
    Probably you should have the Green Chicken Curry because that is what is on your mind and it is probably reasonable in terms of calories. (Except I do not see it on that menu. Did I miss it?)
  • Merkavar
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

My guess is that the satay vegetables and the curry beef will have less sugar than the other dishes you mentioned. You could call the restaurant to ask how much oil or sugar is added to either one of your four examples.
    Probably you should have the Green Chicken Curry because that is what is on your mind and it is probably reasonable in terms of calories. (Except I do not see it on that menu. Did I miss it?)

Number 7 in Thai menu. 2nd page. Fang Kew wan
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says to enjoy yourself, your night out, and the time with your mother, but I also see that you want to enjoy yourself while choosing menu with fewer calories, and you can definitely do both.

Choose dishes that are more meat/vegetable based as opposed to noodle/rice based, i.e.: beef and broccoli, over beef fried rice, and choose non-breaded over breaded meat dishes, i.e.: Szechuan chicken over General Tso chicken. Don't let that prevent you from ordering what you enjoy, however. If you love chow mein noodles and would be really bummed if you went out for Chinese and didn't have some, then have some, just don't overdo it. Eat slowly, and eat only until you are full.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I just looked at their menu and Szechuan king prawns sounds good. Order that, then post pictures so I can live vicariously through you!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Steamed chicken and veggies. With a serving of rice, if you like it. Simple, low calorie, and delicious.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Generally, my advice for restaurants is to eat whatever you like, just eat less of it. Take half home, share it with someone, or heck, leave it on your plate and send it back -- better that than on your hips.

At a Chinese restaurant that's usually easy to manage, because most dishes are meant to be shared. So, just order fewer dishes, and have a smaller amount of each thing you order. Easy peasy.

And agreed, most foods at Chinese restaurants are high in sodium, so don't worry if the scale shows an upward fluctuation the next day; it should level out.

• fzermer
    fzermer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the sweetened entrees. Chinese restaurants that cater to Americans, add too much sugar to their food.
  • RodaRose
    edited February 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Number 7 in Thai menu. 2nd page. Fang Kew wan

Wow. That is going to be good. Here is a likely list of ingredients I found for the chicken. Beef would be similar. The restaurant will add lots more salt and perhaps oil as well.

os8y4wrdaxcp.png

This will work I would think. :) Thai is a greet choice.
  • cnkihm
    cnkihm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein/veggies, and less rice! It's amazing how quickly the calories in rice can add up.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    I just looked at their menu and Szechuan king prawns sounds good. Order that, then post pictures so I can live vicariously through you!

Ask and you shall receive @ashleycdemmxn7p0r3m6l.jpg

• RodaRose
    Options
    Great meal! Thanks for the photo. :mrgreen:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Be conscientious and have a good time. It's your mom!

+ extra H20 = a wonderful time for you both! <3