Aurora Colorado 40 pounds in 3 months

Options
Hey guys, looking for some support and accountability. I'm trying to drop 40 pounds in 3 months. I have all my numbers down calorie wise and I'm also hitting weights pretty good. Really just looking for encouragement and friends who are hopefully in the same boat. My wife is trying to do 50 pounds in 4 months. Looking forward to meeting like minded people

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,762 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey there, I think it's great you and your wife have goals. :) What's the rush, though? I think you may want to evaluate your numbers...40 pounds in 12 weeks means you want to lose more than 3 pounds a week. That level is not recommended here on EF, as for most people it would mean a deficit greater than 20% or perhaps taking you below your BMR calories.

You need a rough deficit of 3500 calories per pound of fat. Therefore your goal means you need a weekly deficit of more than 11,600 calories - about 1,600 a day less than you eat now! Unless you're morbidly obese and suddenly start getting super active, that is a tough goal. You say you have 57 pounds to lose, so that tells me you're not morbidly obese. Your wife's goal is similarly aggressive, requiring a deficit of 1,560 per day. I net an average of 1,600 calories per day. I'm in the obese category. To burn the kind of numbers you're talking about I would have to do 3 hours of high-intensity aerobics every day. :astonished: Not darn likely!!

I'm not saying your goal is impossible. It's just not very realistic for someone with only 57 pounds to lose and sets you up for either disappointment when you don't reach the goal, and/or piling the weight right back on (and then some) when you go back to eating/exercising normally. ;) May I gently recommend each of you consider setting a goal of 1-2 pounds per week instead? It's still bold, but would only require a deficit of 500-1,000 calories per day. Much easier to accomplish and you'll still see results that keep you motivated. :) Good luck!
  • buffmgee
    buffmgee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your concern sugar. It's for vacation in May, I've run the numbers multiple times and created many variations of eating plans and came up with a number of about 3.4 pounds a week. Keeping my caloric intake at 1400 daily( men need at least 1200 to sustain themselves) I can burn around 2000 a day with excessive equaling another 1000 calories. This give me 4 pounds a week so I have room for a cheat meal. This is extreme and does not stand as a long term goal, nor am I cutting out any major nutrient such as cabs or fat. Just plan on leveling out in may and picking up my calories while sustaining my workout regime. I always am open to positive feedback and tips though thank you so much.