How often do you step on the scale?

Options

Replies

• jtipton58
    jtipton58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Every day, that is what it takes to keep me motivated and on track. Loseing weight and maintaining gets harder as you age.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am another daily tracker, who tracks it via a trend app and I also average out my weekly weight. All about the numbers, I mean, math is useful.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Daily, in the mornings if I have access to scales, because like others I find it fascinating to see how my weight changes, and to know that I can gain a kg in a day sometimes for no apparent reason. I also often look in the evenings but don't log that measurement, as i also find it gives me a sense of what things might look like the next day.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I know there a lot of us out there like @PoisonIvy088‌.
    I weigh myself about once a month. That scale does not reflect how much muscle I've gained, or how many inches I've lost.

Also, for me, the scale number is a catch-22.
    - if it's low, then yay, I get to eat a bit more, relax my eating.
    - if it's high, then I get discouraged and turn to food.

So it's just best for me to stay off the scale, and go with measurements and progress pictures.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So I see most people choose to track it daily. But if the body fluctuates daily, why track it daily? Is it just compulsive?

Daily - it's just data and the more data you have the more accuracy and knowledge you have.
    It doesn't have any emotional attachment to me at all.
  • jaymikhail69
    jaymikhail69 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    So I see most people choose to track it daily. But if the body fluctuates daily, why track it daily? Is it just compulsive?

Daily - it's just data and the more data you have the more accuracy and knowledge you have.
    It doesn't have any emotional attachment to me at all.

Well It sounds like I should start daily and track the progress overall; though only logging it once a week.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How often do you check your weight to keep yourself motivated? Once a week? Month?

Daily for the data! A recent study by Northwestern University says more frequent weigh-ins are correlated with higher weight-loss success. And it's convenient for me that way--I like to see trends. That, of course, assumes you're not the sort who stresses over such things. :)

• rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, because I will never remember something I only have to do once a week. And if I don't weigh for a couple of days, suddenly it's been a couple of weeks and I'm way off my goals. It is not stressful for me, and it keeps me pointed in the right direction.
  • angelpearls
    angelpearls Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Daily, it helps me be accountable and gauge is what I'm doing is working.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I get pretty obsessed with that sort of thing, so I try not to weigh myself more than once a week ideally. It can be really hard to stick to that though. I went through a really unhealthy phase where I'd get on the scale like two or three times a day and be super hard on myself when the weight would go up through the day, even though it was just water and food weight that would be gone the next morning. I don't take my measurements for the same reason, haha.

I'm in it more for the physical changes anyway, so I think it's more important to notice changes in the mirror than on the scale. For me at least :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I record once or twice a week (usually a Monday and/or Thursday, because I like those days), but step on the scale daily. I especially love to step on the scale before and after my long run. Today I ran 12 miles and was 3 pounds lighter at the end of it! I never record that weight though, because it's not accurate to how much I weigh most of the time.
  • IsMeliFitYet
    IsMeliFitYet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Monday mornings.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Once a week, around the same time on the same day..that is the most accurate weight. So if you start off weighing yourself at 10am on Thursday Morning, do this every Thursday at 10am.
  • cnkihm
    cnkihm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Usually several times a day: once in the morning to see what my "base" weight for the day is, and throughout the day (especially after meals or bathroom breaks) to get a sense of how much my weight can fluctuate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    To those of you who "record" your weight every week, do you still record it if you've lost nothing?
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't...if I don't lose any weight then I will wait to see if I lost any weight the next week-on the same day around the same time. If I have gained weight, I painfully enter it into MFP.
  • stevesgirl824
    stevesgirl824 Posts: 74 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I get pretty obsessed with that sort of thing, so I try not to weigh myself more than once a week ideally. It can be really hard to stick to that though. I went through a really unhealthy phase where I'd get on the scale like two or three times a day and be super hard on myself when the weight would go up through the day, even though it was just water and food weight that would be gone the next morning. I don't take my measurements for the same reason, haha.

I'm in it more for the physical changes anyway, so I think it's more important to notice changes in the mirror than on the scale. For me at least :)

Me too! Clothes and measurement tape are the better indicators for me. I get scale obsessed too easily, so I am only weighing myself once a month.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself and record the weight on Sunday mornings. I used to do it daily and it really did bad things for my psyche.
  • smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't but I weigh myself 1x a day. I can't help it, it's like cutting and I can't stop
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    More when I am losing weight .... About once a month when maintaining