Gf bread and a bread machine

Options
So my brother got a bread machine as a gift that he never intends to use. He asked if I would want it since he knows I bake my own GF bread occasionally. I was just wondering if baking it in a bread machine would work as well, or just stick to the oven?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's less work :D
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Ahh! That would be amazing lol. Do I have to alter recipes or anything or just use the same recipes I have been using?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Ahh! That would be amazing lol. Do I have to alter recipes or anything or just use the same recipes I have been using?

I'm pretty sure you just throw it all in there. Maybe ask in the recipe section. To be honest, I haven't even taken mine out for about 8 years! I make Portuguese bread about once every two years and I do that by hand. I like to cook and suck at baking, so try to avoid it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

True but sore fingers!!!! Lol.
    elphie754 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you just throw it all in there. Maybe ask in the recipe section. To be honest, I haven't even taken mine out for about 8 years! I make Portuguese bread about once every two years and I do that by hand. I like to cook and suck at baking, so try to avoid it.

That is why when I bake, I make enough that I can freeze some of the bread so that I don't have to repeat so much work. Being able to lessen the work would be amazing.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like my bread machine but it's much better to use the machine to make the dough, and then bake the dough in your oven if you can.

The bread machines have a little mixing paddle that leaves a hole in your baked bread. Because your homemade bread doesn't usually have much fat or preservatives in it, it gets stale/dry/inedible pretty quickly. This is hastened by a big hole in the crust.

If you make the dough and bake it in a pan, you won't have a hole in the bread loaf and it will last a bit longer.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a friend who went gluten-free years ago when her husband was diagnosed with severe celiac. This was back in the days when "gluten-free" was a necessity for people with a condition, not a "lifestyle," and there weren't many products except in health food stores. At about this time, bread machines first came on the market, and they were a life-saver for her.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Hand kneading what?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I prefer gingerbread men to girlfriend bread.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    A bread machine has to be one of the most laziest inventions ever - god I love our one!!!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    The bread machines have a little mixing paddle that leaves a hole in your baked bread. Because your homemade bread doesn't usually have much fat or preservatives in it, it gets stale/dry/inedible pretty quickly. This is hastened by a big hole in the crust.

If you make the dough and bake it in a pan, you won't have a hole in the bread loaf and it will last a bit longer.

Not in our house. Since we cut off some bread as soon as possible in order to eat it, the hole becomes a minor factor immediately and the bread never stays around long enough to get stale anyway :) But in any case, you can always remove the paddle before th final rise, most machines have an audible signal to let you know when you can remove it, and then voila - no hole. On the other hand, unless you have a pretty good oven which I don't, it's hard to bake the bread as perfectly as the breadmaker can.

• cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease. I've been making gf bread in the bread machine, 2lb option medium brown/crust. It works great and it's the only gf bread that is good, lol. I slice it, freeze it And eat the left overs as toast as it does not keep well! Oh, and I add flax and sometimes sunflower seeds for some added nutrition. Hope that helps :)
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Man, the gluten-free bread i attempted to make for my husband in my bread machine was a disaster. Guess i need to try again, lol
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Some brands (I have a cuisinart) have a gluten free setting. My daughter uses it & has had good luck with it. She uses the Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread mix & freezes what she won't eat in a few days.