How accurate is my fitness pal?

Options
Can anyone tell me if this app has really helped them loose weight?

Replies

• dizinnss
    dizinnss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    a girl at work lost so much weight and I asked her how she did it and she told me Myfitnesspal so I am here and gonna try it....she lost 40lbs.......and keeping it off....
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did try to test that "if you eat this x amount of calories for the next 5 weeks you'll weigh x." I did try my best to eat about the same calories for 5 weeks and it was on point. so I'd say it's accurate. creepy, but accurate.

I've lost 90+ lbs so far since july.
  • Emma8882015
    Emma8882015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think the calorie counter part is great for getting a real handle on portion control. I've heard from many people that the exercise portion is useless, it's way too generous with # of calories burned so don't bother using it cause it'll just make you overeat!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've lost 73 pounds and used MFP to lose every last one of them. It works, but there are a few things you have to be mindful of...like weighing and measuring your food, ALL your food, and using correct database entries.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 40 lbs and I attribute it almost entirely to mfp's simple logging system (and weighing my food.) I know the calories of what I'm eating, I know how much I'm eating of each food, I stay within my daily calorie goal, and I'm succeeding. If you log honestly and weigh food for accuracy - willpower is a factor in sticking with it, of course - you will lose weight. I can't sing mfp's praises high enough to anyone who asks me.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    MFP is as accurate as YOU make it. If you weigh your foods properly, check nutritional labels to make sure what you're entering is the same as on the box, don't underlog (or not log...), take note of 'taste testing' and 'grazing' calories, then yes, it is a great tool and it should work for you. I also second @Em882015 about the exercise section - it's great to use to track your workouts, but the calories burned tends to be overly generous.

I've lost 14kg(31lbs) so far using the logging on MFP. The "you will lose xxx lbs/kgs/stone by this date" will always be off, because MFP isn't custom tailored to your body.