Paleo, ketosis, PCOS, acne and new friends!

Options
Hi Everyone!

I seem to have loads of issues going on, so this is a pretty mixed post but bear with me!

I am a 29 yr old female, 165lb, 5ft4in. I have PCOS and symptoms are difficulty losing weight, acne, skin tags, depression, irregular/no cycle. i was extremely lucky and had a baby 3 months ago and am now aiming to lose approx 25lb. I have been doing paleo for three weeks.

I have my guideline calories set to 1600 or thereabouts, and my carbohydrate amount set at 80g but I usually go over... Anywhere between 100-120g per day. This comes mainly from vegetables like carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers and some dates or strawberries. And sometimes a Paleo mug cake with cocoa and a little honey.

I didn't think this carb level would be low enough to be ketogenic, but I have symptoms of ketosis... Bad breath, body odour, thirsty all the time etc.

I have also found my acne is 100% worse, large painful cysts on my chin which I always associated with hormones and PCOS.

Does it sound as though I am in ketosis? Is that normal with this level of carbs? Shouldn't my hormone imbalance and therefore my acne be better now I've cut dairy and sugar? I also haven't lost any weight in about 10 days now, though I lost 6lb in the first 10 days of being paleo. Why have I stalled? Perhaps it's the wine (blush)

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

Also if you would like to add me as a friend, please do :)

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It is possible for some people to be in ketosis up to 100 g a day, but unlikely. For the vast majority of people 50 g or fewer of carbohydrates a day are needed to be in ketosis, specifically nutritional ketosis, where you eventually become keto-adapted (i.e., you preferentially burn fats for fuel). You may be making some ketones, and thus the stinky breath, etc., but not enough to become keto-adapted, I would venture. Especially if you are insulin-resistant (PCOS), you probably need fewer carbs to get the benefits of a ketogenic diet. Nothing wrong with primal/paleo and the level of carbs you are at if that is working for you, however.
  • PaleoLynds
    Options
    Tanks Mistizoom, have added you! I'm going to get some Ketostix tomorrow and see what they say...
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I found with PCOS it took about 6 months of good eating before i saw any real improvement with my hormonal symptoms :)
  • pinupchick82
    pinupchick82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    that is very true it takes longer for healthy eating to improve pcos symptoms keep at it but also remeber ur postpatam as well which adds to the hormonal imbalances.if ur still breastfeeding make sure u are getting enough nutriants
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    thats weird about acne, eating paleo has made my skin insanely good. are you eating coconut oil daily? its anti-inflamatory and also has anti-bacterial properties to help heal you from the inside. perhaps you have a nightshade sensitivity? eat more cruciferous veggies maybe? they help balance hormones. when i was a teen i had pretty bad acne (hormonal im sure) but i have found that now if i eat "paleo cheats" like sweet potato or normal fries, or anything cooked in any veggie oil of sorts i get pretty bad acne, which is pretty much inflammation on top of hormonal issues.

good luck!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put something out there, just for you to think about regarding your symptoms and perhaps you might want to visit a dr. The symptoms you describe are also those of diabetic acidosis - diabetes is something which can go hand in hand with PCOS. You're probably right thinking you're in ketosis, but it might be worth going and getting some tests to ensure you're otherwise healthy.
  • PaleoLynds
    Options
    I found with PCOS it took about 6 months of good eating before i saw any real improvement with my hormonal symptoms :)

That is useful to know, thank you. Patience isn't one of my strong points haha!
  • PaleoLynds
    Options
    thats weird about acne, eating paleo has made my skin insanely good. are you eating coconut oil daily? its anti-inflamatory and also has anti-bacterial properties to help heal you from the inside. perhaps you have a nightshade sensitivity? eat more cruciferous veggies maybe? they help balance hormones. when i was a teen i had pretty bad acne (hormonal im sure) but i have found that now if i eat "paleo cheats" like sweet potato or normal fries, or anything cooked in any veggie oil of sorts i get pretty bad acne, which is pretty much inflammation on top of hormonal issues.

good luck!

I have just added coconut oil to my diet this week, and have also been using it as a OCM cleanser with a little tea tree added. I wonder if that is making my acne worse somehow...
  • PaleoLynds
    Options
    I'm going to put something out there, just for you to think about regarding your symptoms and perhaps you might want to visit a dr. The symptoms you describe are also those of diabetic acidosis - diabetes is something which can go hand in hand with PCOS. You're probably right thinking you're in ketosis, but it might be worth going and getting some tests to ensure you're otherwise healthy.

Well I had a glucose tolerance test done when I was 28 weeks pregnant and it all came back fine. And all the regular blood tests etc were fine too, I was anaemic for a short while so supplemented with iron tablets and the next time they checked it my levels were sky high so I dropped the supplement.
  • PaleoLynds
    Options
    Also I should have mentioned that I was unfortunately unable to breastfeed due to low milk supply, so this isn't an issue when looking at my calorie levels etc.
  • Mads242
    Mads242 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have sensitive dry skin and when I tried OCM with coconut oil (very high quality) it broke me out way worse than any other oil I ever used. Also very painful, and I never usually get bad breakouts. I have have much better results with soap free cream cleanser followed by rosehip oil. Congrats on your new baby :-)
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i don't use coconut oil on my face- i slap it on if i get sunburned, a bugbite, or a weird rash, but never besides that. i either just use warm water or some alba organics facewash, so im not sure how my face would react to it.
  • lindsw77
    Options
    Hi all

I have PCOS as well- working hard to manage it naturally right now. I am 25 and have probably been suffering from it since I was 10 (when I first started my period, but wasn't diagnosed until 18). I never had a regular period until I started taking vitex a year ago (increases progesterone) and have suffered from acne most of my life. The only time my skin was clear was on spironlactone which I took on and off between age 18 and 25. It was great for acne, oily skin and male pattern hair but had some sucky side effects when I was on it recently.

I was already dealing with depression from the lose of my father and my acne was worse so I went back on spironlactone. Bad idea. Spironlactone is a potassium sparing diuretic. So it holds potassium in your body which can mess with your heart. To spare you the details I ended up taking a trip to urgent care and going off spironlactone.

I was at my wits end and needed a solution. I did hours of research and decided that the root problem was insulin resistance which was throwing all my other hormones off balance and actually causing PCOS. I was willing to do anything to fix it but my usual solution (spironlactone) had just been stripped from me.

(BTW Spiro doesn't actually deal with the root it just blocks the excess testosterone from affecting your skin. You still have excess insulin in your body that forces your ovaries to produce the male hormone.)

All of this happened about a month ago. I decided to take drastic matters to manage my PCOS and I have to say.... It's working!!! My skin is 80% clear from what it was a month ago. It's amazing.

I took the approach from two sides:

- healing my gut (to stop inflammation)
    - Eating low GI foods (to deal with the insulin resistance and lower free testosterone)

Here is everything I'm doing:

Supplements:

1. Inositol (insulin sensitizer) 2 grams
    2. NAC 1200 mg
    3. Fish oil (reduce inflammation)
    4. Vitamin D3 5,000 IU
    5. Vitex (increase progesterone)
    6. Probiotic

Diet:

1. Dairy free
    2. Sugar free
    3. Gluten free
    4. Low glycemic index foods (basically paleo)
    5. Drink homemade bone broth daily (gut and brain health)
    6. Only oil I use is coconut (to cook) and olive oil (to drizzle) all others cause inflammation.

That may seem extreme but I feel amazing. I plan to change it some once I get my skin to where I want it. But it's been a month and I've seen a significant improvement in my PCOS symptoms.

Hope that helps. Feel free to add me!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    PaleoLynds wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

I seem to have loads of issues going on, so this is a pretty mixed post but bear with me!

I am a 29 yr old female, 165lb, 5ft4in. I have PCOS and symptoms are difficulty losing weight, acne, skin tags, depression, irregular/no cycle. i was extremely lucky and had a baby 3 months ago and am now aiming to lose approx 25lb. I have been doing paleo for three weeks.

I have my guideline calories set to 1600 or thereabouts, and my carbohydrate amount set at 80g but I usually go over... Anywhere between 100-120g per day. This comes mainly from vegetables like carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers and some dates or strawberries. And sometimes a Paleo mug cake with cocoa and a little honey.

I didn't think this carb level would be low enough to be ketogenic, but I have symptoms of ketosis... Bad breath, body odour, thirsty all the time etc.

I have also found my acne is 100% worse, large painful cysts on my chin which I always associated with hormones and PCOS.

Does it sound as though I am in ketosis? Is that normal with this level of carbs? Shouldn't my hormone imbalance and therefore my acne be better now I've cut dairy and sugar? I also haven't lost any weight in about 10 days now, though I lost 6lb in the first 10 days of being paleo. Why have I stalled? Perhaps it's the wine (blush)

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

Also if you would like to add me as a friend, please do :)

I also have PCOS and eat at similar levels.

This does not sound like ketosis--it sounds more like full-blown diabetes. Please check in with your endocrinologist.

As for the acne, the only things that seem to work for me are the oil cleansing method (you can google this--I just use plain olive oil and not a mix of oils) and using African Black Soap. They are both fairly simple/natural/easy to try.
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a dermatology nurse, and usually when acne is worse around the chin and jawline it is hormonal. My guess would be that having. Baby has your hormones acting differently right now. A dermatologist can inject a small amount of steroid into the painful cysts and clear them up in a matter of days. Someone mentioned the medication spironolactone....that is often prescribed for hormonal acne, but can definitely have side effects. We monitor our patients potassium levels. Sometimes washing your face with 4% benzoyl peroxide wash can help. Just remember when starting a new acne med or wash, it can cause the breakouts to worsen as it cleanses the skin and pushes the acne to the surface. Sometimes it takes weeks or months to see improvement with a new regimen. Feel free to message me if you have any acne related questions. Best of luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, but I do not think what you are doing makes any sense. I mean, if you like eating relatively low carb, great, go for it, but it is not needed for any of the issues you describe. You are not in ketosis.
    Bad breath after a baby is usually a good reason to visit the dentist (it is the perfect time to start seeing tooth decay).
    If you are breastfeeding this will cause a constant need to drink. If you are not breastfeeding, go back to your dr, it could be diabetes.
    There is no reason to expect any "hormonal imbalance" to be better by eating paleo, or with any other "diet". If you are diabetic, or even insulin resistant (which you say you are not), then carbs would have been somethign to be careful about, but in your case, it makes no sense, other than personal preference. But do not expect it to "fix" anything, other help you lose weight, if this eating style helps you eat less calories.
    If you do have a diagnosis of PCOS, find a good endocrinologist and follow his/her advice. Contrary to what you will read on the internet, most drs will simply advise you to monitor your calories and add exercise in your lifestyle. And it works. Contrary to the ton of nonsense about magic restrictive diets, special foods, magical potions, cleanses etc you will read about all over the internet.
    And since you mention you also feel depressed, with a young baby, I would get back to the dr and ask about post partum depression.