Hungry at night

Options
At night I feel so hungry. I try not to eat but I end up eating because it gnals at me. Does anybody have any tips to help. (I drink a ton of water)

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I would advise maybe giving yourself an 'allowance' in your daily calorie intake for a night time 'snack'. If you deprive yourself of one completely, going from having one regularly then it's much more likely to cause a binge.

The times that we eat or drink have no impact on our weight loss or gain, simple calories in vs calories out. If you find that having a snack that fits with your day at night helps to keep you on track. There is absolutely no reason not to have one.

Weight gain due to night time eating is a myth, you need to be in a calorie surplus to cause gain.

Have an awesome day/evening!

Adam
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Don't fight it, accommodate it. I'm in maintenance, and I still do a Fuji apple every night around 8:30 - 9:30. Plug your evening snack into your diary first, then distribute the rest of your calories around your meals.
  • PinkandBlack87
    Options
    Thank you very much!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had the same issues. What works for me is saving the majority of my calories for the evening. I usually don't eat breakfast until around 11 a.m. I'm just not a morning eater...never have been. I have a late lunch and a snack or two in there, but my biggest meal is my supper. I usually don't eat that until about 9:00 or 9:30, and I am usually in bed by 11:00 at the latest. It took a bit of trial and error, but this schedule is the only one that really works for me. And it has virtually eliminated my evening munchies. Also, don't believe the myth that you shouldn't eat so many hours before bed. It's not true. I've been eating this way for about 7 months and have lost over 70 pounds. The time of day you eat does not matter in terms of weight loss.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    I would advise maybe giving yourself an 'allowance' in your daily calorie intake for a night time 'snack'. If you deprive yourself of one completely, going from having one regularly then it's much more likely to cause a binge.

Adam

This. Many times this. I manage my hunger better by including frequent snacks throughout the day. At night I like yogurt, an apple, carrots and hummus, etc. Just make sure you leave room within your caloric budget for whatever snacks you want.

Tip: I pre-log. I find that this helps me plan what I'm eating and I'll plan when I eat it (if my wee one allows it - sometimes I have to alter plans).

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Stop eating breakfast, just have a big lunch and a big dinner, that should do the trick
  • MickeyCastello
    MickeyCastello Posts: 269
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You're welcome. I also shifted my breakfast to 9:00 AM, Lunch to 1:00 PM and dinner to 6:00. Medium-sized breakfast, lite lunch and pretty decent dinner. I try to put most of my protein at dinner, to help carry me til my night snack. Good luck!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    [quote="Have an awesome day/evening!

Adam[/quote]

I thought this was so sweet of you to end your msg to OP this way, what a guy!

• scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I either have fruit (I'm eating a sweet pear right now-11pm) or some tortilla chips. You could be thirsty or just want something to have before bed...peanut butter, tortilla chips, popcorn, oranges, ritz crazkers, whatever but of course in moderation.
  • Wreathy
    Wreathy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and protein seems to be key. I have no clue what your meals look like, but make sure there's some protein in your evening meal. I'm a comfort eater, and every night after dinner I have a low-kj ice cream to keep the comfort-eating demons at bay. Still losing weight, so find what works for you and eat it. There's nothing wrong with snacks in and of themselves.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you don't go over your calories, there's nothing wrong with eating at certain times. I know I'm never hungry in the mornings and I'm awake at night and usually feel like eating then, so I just shift my meals/snacks later, if that makes sense. If you budget your calories so that you save for your nighttime snack it will be much easier than trying to change your whole eating schedule.