Body media Fit vs chest strap HRM- calorie burn

Options
i ordered a bodymedia Fit armband system to get a clearer understanding of the actual amount of calories I am burning in regular daily activity. I really wanted to make sure I was eating enough/ not too much especially since I am getting closer to being at maintenance. I wore it for the first time today and my polar ft7 HRM showed a higher burn for my cardio workout than the body media fit. It was about. 100 calorie difference. Which do you think is more accurate for my workout burn?

If anyone has any experiences with the bodymedia system I'd love to hear any feedback you have about it as well. Thanks!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would say the HRM since its reading your heart rate with the strap. Keep in mind both are using formulations to do an estimate
  • saphire76
    saphire76 Posts: 102
    Options
    I would say hrm too as long as it has the chest strap because it is on your heart. I know I just got mine and burn way more than I have been logging from mfp. I have the polar ft4 but have no knowledge of the arm band. sorry.

P.S. you look awesome
  • elsohypes
    elsohypes Posts: 30
    Options
    there is no exact correlation of heart rate and calories, so I'd say body media as it takes into account other things aswell, such as how your body is respoonding to exercise in other ways.
    Ive just got a bodymedia too for the same reason, to see how much I actually burn in daily activities. From my experience, and people I know, ts a great device :)
  • tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options
    thanks for the input! I'll keep tracking with it and see how consistent it is. I think I may go with my HRM for my workouts though. I wish there was a way I could adjust it in my Bodymedia Activity Manager though.

Anyone else with experiences with the Bodymedia Fit please chime in! :)
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    I've been wearing my BodyMedia since January. I do not have a HRM, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have found that the BodyMedia armband seems to be fairly accurate. My only basis for accuracy is on my logged calories in and calories tracked as expended and either maintaining or losing weight, but the deficits seem to fall in line with my losses. It does seem to become more accurate the more you wear it. I will say, one inaccuracy is in steps taken if you are doing arm actions that mimics walking stride.
  • skeene07
    skeene07 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What kind of cardio were you doing??

I would lean towards the bodymedia/bodybugg since is does take into account more factors then just heart rate....more factors, more accurate :)
  • Zoe9636
    Zoe9636 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have a body media and think its great I also have a HRM too and wear that just to keep a check on my heart rate while exercising. The website states body media is 95% accurate for Cardio and 90% accurate for all other activities and my HRM makes no such claims re calories burnt.