sugar cravings

Options
it is so hard to curb sugar cravings. Any suggestions ?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I find that filling myself up with a healthy meal really helps me eat less sugar in general. Also drink hot tea and or water.
  • iambold
    iambold Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    idk, I'm learning myself that I need to curb this sugar monster. I did however trade sugar for honey in my coffee every morning and I felt a HUGE change from that. small changes so far, hopefully will help it stick.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Eat some protein and fat. Get full on something first.

I have found that I need to wait until the end of my day to eat any processed sugars/sweets or I end up looking for more and more. I have a protein snack or small meal near bedtime and then have the sweet then go to bed. It's working for me.

*I can have fruit during the day with no problems..processed sugars seem to be my problem.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Moderate protein nah higher fats can curb sugar cravings. I also second the tea suggestion as I find this helpful. I especially like tea after dinner to help with digestion.
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Stick with mostly abstinence. The cravings become pretty manageable after about a week. This is what's worked for me. The only thing I initially did not cut out was my daily Natural Bliss coffee creamer.
  • Arduinna4
    Arduinna4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The first week is difficult. I cut sugar completely and, at first, my coffee seemed bitter but i got used to it and now i like it better that way. With sugar, the more you eat, the more you want it! Invest in a good honey and have a spoonful daily in your breakfast. Remember, sugar has nothing to offer you and is more addictive than heroine!
  • ametru69
    Options
    Eat some protein and fat. Get full on something first.

I have found that I need to wait until the end of my day to eat any processed sugars/sweets or I end up looking for more and more. I have a protein snack or small meal near bedtime and then have the sweet then go to bed. It's working for me.

*I can have fruit during the day with no problems..processed sugars seem to be my problem.

• ametru69
    Options
    thanks everybody for the helpful suggestions about how to curb sugar cravings. I am going to try each and everyone of them. Especially thanks for the support. It's nice to know that your not alone. :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I gave up processed sugar (think cake, pie, packaged sweets) for lent last year and after a week or two I wasn't craving it at all. Still had to use will power when things were in front of me at the office etc. Natural sugars like in fruit don't seem to have that "addicting" factor. I made some vegan desserts during that time and it was fun. Of course this past holiday season has me craving processed sugar still...ugh!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    l-glutamine ( an amino acid) can lessen sugar cravings, afetr the cravings go away it can be discontinued. You can Google it.
  • kiki_anitoni
    kiki_anitoni Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem! I love cakes, doughnuts, pie, etc. it was hard for me the first week but I just got into dried fruits and they are delicious. I have been enjoying banana chips and dried cranberries as of late and they definitely do curb my sweet tooth. Sweet tooths are the worst. Best of luck on your journey!
  • lovelylightz
    lovelylightz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I stopped adding useless sugar to my diet..when I have sugar cravings, I eat dark chocolate squares, blueberries, peppermint herbal tea, and or 70calorie Greek yogurt.
  • lovelylightz
    lovelylightz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't crave cakes, pies, cookies, icecream any longer....
  • scissorhappyjen
    scissorhappyjen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a very sweet tooth... have been doing a keto diet (high fat, moderate protein & very low carb) for the last month... feel really satisfied and no real sugar cravings...