How to make a fitness plan?

Options
Ok, so I want to get in shape and lose some weight. I have a diet plan all ready but feel a little lost when it comes to fitness. There are tons of online videos etc of workouts you can do at home and I have a gym membership but all I do there is run on the treadmill or use the elliptical. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to make a fitness plan that is well rounded?

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Here are a few posts that might help.

Sexypants
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

Exercise basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080
    That pulls info from the American College of Sports Medicine's book "Resources for the Personal Trainer, 4th edition". I don't just make stuff up or find it on the interwebs. :grinning:
    Here's another useful guide, in pictures: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
    This is stronglifts, which isn't as comprehensive, but many people have had success starting weightlifting with it.

You want to work all the major muscle groups, and both sides of the body or a joint. So if you do bicep curls, do tricep extensions. Situps? Back extensions. Chest press? Rows. (Like, more or less kneeling on a bench with one leg & hand, lifting the dumbbell with the other hand from full extension to touching your shoulder.)

Personally, I started out doing all the weight machines 2-3 x per week, working my whole body. Now I'm using free weights for my upper body (lots harder!), doing the machines for hip ab/adduction, torso rotation, abdomen, & back extension, then the elliptical &/or treadmill (usually the hill program to make it harder) which work the front & back muscles in my legs, plus the butt. Sometimes I try to add the stairstepper, to get more tone & definition to my butt.

A couple other things...:
    Don't go on a diet. Diets are temporary. Change your life, for good.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

With only 20 lb to go, you're going to lose weight slowly. Also, from your profile picture it looks like you're already at or very near a reasonable weight. Consider finding maintenance calories & doing weightlifting and see how you like the results... getting leaner, losing inches but probably not pounds. You'll look very different even at the same weight.
    51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Another thought - does your gym have personal trainers available? Mine has them for free.
    You do need to be aware of their certification (are they certified, or just calling themselves a trainer?).

If they don't offer free sessions, or you don't click with the people who work there, consider hiring someone outside. It would only take a session or two for her/him to teach you how to do the exercises & give you a basic exercise plan to get started with, plus explaining how to increase them as you get stronger. You really don't need someone standing over you every time you're in the gym. Maybe arrange to check in after several months to see what needs tweaking, or learn new & harder exercises.

If you want to search for someone who's certified, here's a good resource:
    http://members.acsm.org/source/custom/Online_locator/OnlineLocator.cfm
  • OrchidAhra
    Options
    Thank you! That was very helpful
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Before you do anything, you need to set a fitness goal. Considering the importance of strength and lean muscle mass, that is what I’d go for.

Once you have a goal, then you need a commitment. Commit to changing your body and your life. More than thinking in terms of work outs, you need to think of lifestyle change.

Now you know what you want and are committed to getting it. Then you can get to a program. You can get a generic answer here on MFP, or you can hire a personal trainer to get you started.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    OrchidAhra wrote: »
    Ok, so I want to get in shape and lose some weight. I have a diet plan all ready but feel a little lost when it comes to fitness. There are tons of online videos etc of workouts you can do at home and I have a gym membership but all I do there is run on the treadmill or use the elliptical. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to make a fitness plan that is well rounded?

My first suggestion would be to get a background in human physiology and kinesiology.

Then from there, work on getting a training certification. That's a good start.
  • joanjettsmyt
    Options
    I really struggle to just go into the gym alone and do weights. I find classes and coached sessions work the best for me because they keep me motivated for the full 45-60 mins and the instructor explains what to do as you go.
    If your gym has any classes, I highly recommend Pilates, Body Pump, Body Balance and Spin Classes. (I have zero coordination so these are perfect for me)
    You can incorporate weights etc once you're in more of a routine. Work on the habit of going and the rest will fall into place.
    Set up a schedule which outlines the day and time that you are going to do each class or exercise so you make it non negotiable. Also if you do the same class at a set time each week for a few weeks you are likely to see the same people a few times and it's nice to have someone to say hi to :-)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are great for getting you on the right track, but don't think it will take a single session to get going. Like any other formal program it will take your commitment to success to get the most out of the relationship. If working in the gym and using the machines and weights are your goal, using a personal trainer is my suggestion for the best approach. You'll learn proper form, how to modify as a beginner and how to progress as you develop.

If you are self-motivated, going to classes is a great way to get in shape on your own. Find the ones that are the most fun and just go. Aim for at least three-five moderate to intense level classes a week added to a regular program of daily walking and if you can find stretch classes to supplement that would help as well.