Need no carbs ideas for meal after 7pm :(

Options
zlouise8
zlouise8 Posts: 29 Member
Hi people I'm trying to do no carbs or very little carbs tonight as by the time I finish work and collect my son and partner take my son to dance I will not get home till gone 7pm and by the time I eat it's getting on for half 7 which has not been good when trying to diet :(
Ive tried eating out whilst my son is at dance on the Mondays but I end up going to the local chip so as there's only 50 minute window to grab something whilst he is at dance so I'm really struggling to lose weight.
I kinda thought if I could stop eating my main meal after a certain time it would help but clearly Monday's is a big issue for me so if anyone has any ideas of some meal that I can do for myself and partner later on tonight I would very much appreciate it, thanks in advanced xx

Replies

• bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Omelette?
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am no help, I am a 'carb at any time of the day, just give me an excuse', kinda person. Good luck!!
  • hh07
    hh07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work 8am-6pm most days, hour's commute home, in at 7pm, eat between 730-8pm including carbs. Have lost 21lbs this year.

The time of day you eat has no bearing on whether or not you will lose weight. It's all about the calorie deficit.
  • jessdunn40
    Options
    Meal prep helps good luck
  • scentered
    scentered Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be hard trying to manage our diets when we have busy schedules. I try to keep carbs to a minimum after 6pm. I do tend to have a good lunch, when I have potatoes/wholegrain pasta or rice with my meal. In the evenings, I avoid potatoes, pasta, bread etc., and have salad or lightly stirred fried vegetables with my meal. It works for me, and I'm losing weight and feeling well, especially with the help of MFP to monitor my nutrition intake. Keep at it amigo
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    In similar situations I fall back on protein bars and shakes. I always have low carb protein bars in my glove box. (The macros in these are great, and they're about £1 each.) And another thing I've done is to pop some protein powder and skimmed milk powder in a shaker to take out with me, and just add water and shake when I need it.

Preparation is key. If you were to relax your ideas about carbs just for Mondays, you could make up something in the morning, or on Sunday night. Salad with the dressing in a separate little tub or baggy. Couscous with vegetables and meat. Wraps. Cold omelette or quiche. There are all sorts of things you could pack to take with you and they'll keep all day in an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack.

Another thing I've done in a pinch is go to a shop and buy bits and pieces. Usually boiled eggs and ham, some fruit and veg (blueberries, grapes, mange tout, carrot batons, tangerines) and whatever other yummy thing fits my macros for the day. There's always a Spar, or co-op, or Tesco metro or whatever nearby, right?

It doesn't matter scientifically what time you eat btw. Mentally it could do, for different people.
  • SiggeBjork
    SiggeBjork Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I´d go for a chicken kebab with the salads and either garlic or chilli sauce (just ask if they have sugar in them and ship if they do) - skip the pita bread and voila! You have a low carb meal. Also, a steak takes no time to cook - or a tuna steak for that matter. Yesterday, I threw together chopped bacon, minced beef, mushrooms and onions. Put it all into a oven proof form and mixed chopped tomatoes and philadelphia together and poured over. Then added grated cheese and into the oven it went for 10 min on high. I served it with cous cous that took 2 min to prepare (I didn´t eat it due to carbs but those not on low carb did). In total it took me 25-30 min to throw this gem together. I spiced it with salt, pepper and garlic but you could add chilli or any herb / spice you want really. It was a huge success.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    zlouise8 wrote: »
    Hi people I'm trying to do no carbs or very little carbs tonight

What's your rationale for carb limiting?

That's likely to influence how useful responses are.

That said, if you're not losing weight your issue is more likely to be consuming more than you think you are.
  • zlouise8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments back they have been very helpfully I completly forgot about an ommletes and I love them as well as few others mentioned thanks so much people going to do shopping :)
  • zlouise8
    Options
    Hi people I'm trying to do no carbs or very little carbs tonight

What's your rationale for carb limiting?

That's likely to influence how useful responses are.

That said, if you're not losing weight your issue is more likely to be consuming more than you think you are.

I defo don't consume more than I think I am my problem is getting me to eat earlier, I will try and force breakfast in me in the morning as I know this is very important and my partner has started to say we will meet for lunch each day when I'm in the area as I'm a mobile cleaner that is in different areas from day to day. If I start to meet him then this should get me eating more through the day rather than later on when little one home and it's tea time then the dreaded snacks which I have managed better than I thought i would :)
    I think my issue was I have been ill for three weeks completly fell off my diet due to the fact I couldn't eat as I had a swallen gland which I was rushed into hospital for but forgetting all that drama I know my down fall is not eating regular and finding an excerise partner that can do through the days as I do try on my own but sometimes I need to kick myself little more than I do. I completly know this is all down to me and I can do this I was basically looking for some meal ideas so I don't skip meals again as I do have a bad habit of not eating for days then a bing or not eating all day then I have my first meal which is my tea and then used to snack lots no longer do this :)

• jotapaula
    jotapaula Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think a quick omelette with mushrooms is a good option. You can even bake it. I like to make it like: 1 egg, 1 egg white, 4 fresh mushrooms, 1 cherry tomato, herbs, a slice of mozzarella de buffalo, a splash of milk.
  • spoiledrebecca
    Options
    Turkey meatballs. I have been experiencing with different ways to make them and I have began to use egg whites in my recipe to further raise protein levels. I store them in a devil egg Tupperware container and grab as I would a bad snack. They are low calorie, low carb, and high protein. I also pair these with spaghetti squash and chunky vegetable sauce for a great hearty meal. If your sodium levels for the day are good, another low cal, low carb, high protein option is deli meat. Buding has pre portioned 90 cal packs. Great for grab and go ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I defo don't consume more than I think I am

The reaso for asking is that it's quite common on here that people aren't losing, and it's down to not being in calorie deficit. In the absence of an underlying medical condition then not losing is down to not being in calorie deficit.

It may be that you're overestimating your physical activity through work, or your setting for activity level is a bit optimistic.
    my problem is getting me to eat earlier, I will try and force breakfast in me in the morning as I know this is very important and my partner has started to say we will meet for lunch each day when I'm in the area as I'm a mobile cleaner that is in different areas from day to day. If I start to meet him then this should get me eating more through the day rather than later on when little one home and it's tea time then the dreaded snacks which I have managed better than I thought i would :)

Physiologically your calories in vs calories out aspect isn't affected by meal timing, although it is likely to affect behaviour. I know if I don't have enough for breakfast I get the urge to snack midmorning, and that can get a little uncontrolled. If I do snak then I'm less likely to take something filling.
    I know my down fall is not eating regular and finding an excerise partner that can do through the days as I do try on my own but sometimes I need to kick myself little more than I do.

It souds like you know the answer is about your eating pattern, rather than what you're eating. Having that structure helps you control what you eat, and helps you to make informed food choices that are more sustainable.

Yesterday I was well over, but I had a three hour drive in miserable weather, and opted for a Mars bar and packet of wine gums. Not good options as I ended up having a full meal in the evening as well.

Notwithstanidng all of that; as above, I find that something like an omelette or fritatta is a good evening choice, tuna is a good suggestion although I'd normally have that with cous cous

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why no carbs?

For zero carbs..eggs and bacon, tuna with mayo, coffee and heavy cream, chicken, fish, pork, beef, or Turkey cooked without carb laden seasonings..

Low net carbs..green vegetables, mushrooms, cauliflower, nuts, nut butters, berries

My diary is open. I eat approximately 18g of net carbs per day.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead and use your crockpot ... this way everything is ready and you don't have the stress of throwing together something healthy and satisfying at the last minute.
  • bubbabacon
    bubbabacon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Crockpot is a great idea. There are many recipes you can use. You can eat complex carbs just not the simple carbs. We need carbs more than anything. :) no sugar after 3pm. :)
  • bubbabacon
    bubbabacon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bubbabacon wrote: »
    Crockpot is a great idea. There are many recipes you can use. You can eat complex carbs just not the simple carbs. We need carbs more than anything. :) no sugar after 3pm. :)

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I don't understand...I mean I get the question. But why do you think there is a problem eating dinner after 7:30 pm in regards to weight loss and what do carbs have to do with it?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    by the time I eat it's getting on for half 7 which has not been good when trying to diet :(

You can eat any time of day or night. It has no impact on weight loss. If you waited and ate all of your calories at 7 pm for the whole day, you would lose as much weight as if you broke up your calories into 3 meals before 7 pm.
  • zlouise8
    Options
    Why no carbs?

I don't mean complete no carbs but I'm trying to make sure after 7pm I don't eat anything to heavy as I have ibs and things I love can hurt and be to heavy on my stomach in the evening it takes longer to digest for me than usual people.

I love pasta anything with pasta I love it but I want to try and stop eating this after 7pm and all I can think of is food with pasta in it lol I know I shouldn't eat pasta, bread and rice as this doesn't help my stomach but I love it and if I was to only eat what helps my ibs I would be a rabbit living on just veg and that's not me I like my meat fish pasta and food just a little to much lol

It's more of a timing with me making sure I eat little and often rather than my usual get up at 6am then don't eat till 5.30-6 when tea time is around with family and then I have few to many snacks, know ive stopped the snacking on rubbish and I'm eating most mornings as well as my partner helping me at lunch time so if I can get my body used to eating meals at near same time combined with the excerise I should see a difference surely :)

Thanks everyone for all the comments back it's been helpfully I completly forgot about ommletes and I love them so I think I will have that and next week something with couscous :)
    P.s
    What's crockpot? Xx